Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Officially Announces Uconnect 5 Infotainment Software For Its Pickup Lineup!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

RAM Officially Announces Uconnect 5 Infotainment Software For Its Pickup Lineup!​

5x Faster, More Customization, Alexa, More Over-The-Air Updates, & More...​

1630647497968.png

In-car technology has played a major factor in a person’s decision to purchase a vehicle over the past decade. It seems that every couple of years connectivity in the automotive sector continues to advance in great strides. So many RAM enthusiasts weren’t shocked when HDRams.com broke the news that the popular Uconnect 5 infotainment software was going to be installed into 2022 Ram 1500 and Heavy Duty vehicles.

DougB

Reaction score
“Additionally, when equipped with the available 12-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay can now occupy the entire screen space for the first time in a Ram pickup.”

This almost makes me want to upgrade to the 12”

el_barto

Reaction score
“Additionally, when equipped with the available 12-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay can now occupy the entire screen space for the first time in a Ram pickup.”

This almost makes me want to upgrade to the 12”
I like my good ol fashioned knobs for the HVAC...
I’llbe interested to see if there is a notable improvement on the 8.4” then I might consider upgrading to UC5

MotoFish

Reaction score
Two things here on your “knob” comment.

1). Behind your “knobs” is a electronically controlled system anyway. It’s not the Cable style of old.

2). On the sides of the 12” screen is buttons for the HVAC. So, I don’t use the screen for the system either, I use the side Buttons.

Just say’n

DougB

Reaction score

1). Behind your “knobs” is a electronically controlled system anyway. It’s not the Cable style of old.

2). On the sides of the 12” screen is buttons for the HVAC. So, I don’t use the screen for the system either, I use the side Buttons.

Just say’n
Ok... but buttons are not knobs.

MotoFish

Reaction score
Ok... but buttons are not knobs.
Electronics are electronics. All prone to failure.

But I understand people do prefer the knobs

my sons 1500 2020 eco diesel has a knob for his 4x4 while my 3500 2021 has push button 4x4.

ultimately both run with electronics behind them but he too prefers the knobs.

I don’t care either way, but I LOVE my 12” screen and the versatility of having NAV on and radio or phone on display at the same time.

Ziggy

Reaction score

RAM Officially Announces Uconnect 5 Infotainment Software For Its Pickup Lineup!​

5x Faster, More Customization, Alexa, More Over-The-Air Updates, & More...​

View attachment 21357

In-car technology has played a major factor in a person’s decision to purchase a vehicle over the past decade. It seems that every couple of years connectivity in the automotive sector continues to advance in great strides. So many RAM enthusiasts weren’t shocked when HDRams.com broke the news that the popular Uconnect 5 infotainment software was going to be installed into 2022 Ram 1500 and Heavy Duty vehicles.

Looks like this is also a hardware upgrade as well and any truck 2021 or older will not be able to upgrade to Uconnect 5, am I correct?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like this is also a hardware upgrade as well and any truck 2021 or older will not be able to upgrade to Uconnect 5, am I correct?

It's hardware and different connectors. Jimmy07 is working on the possibility of a retrofit. There's a thread here somewhere if you want to follow.

el_barto

Reaction score

Just say’n
Yes, never said it was mechanically connected. But but I can turn knobs to the setting I want without looking using tactile feel, and just easier if wearing gloves. I like knobs better than buttons for certain things. Same reason I hate some cars that have volume buttons instead of volume knobs.

Also, the 12” screen means you have soft buttons (ie, on screen controls only) for certain HVAC functions like heated seats and steering wheel.

MotoFish

Reaction score
Yes, never said it was mechanically connected. But but I can turn knobs to the setting I want without looking using tactile feel, and just easier if wearing gloves. I like knobs better than buttons for certain things. Same reason I hate some cars that have volume buttons instead of volume knobs.

Also, the 12” screen means you have soft buttons (ie, on screen controls only) for certain HVAC functions like heated seats and steering wheel.
Correct, seat and steering wheel controls are only through the 12” screen.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Not sure if I've posted this question in the correct Forum pages so please bear with me. I've purchased a new 2022 RAM 2500 Big Horn with the UConnect 5 system 8.5" with NAV. After reviewing the spec's on the RAM website I see this system offers "In Vehicle WiFi". This tells me the truck will be equipted with a Modem and Router already incorporated into the UConnect System. However, the website only offers WiFi through AT&T. Is this just an advertising campaign where RAM has teamed up with AT&T? Or can I sign up for WiFi through another carrier like Verizon?

rfullen280

Reaction score

Just say’n
Look into the aircraft industry. Screens with "soft" keys are riskier, from a Human-Interface Design element, because they require more attention to operate correctly. Not really a problem when you're parked in a manufacturer's test lab, but driving an 8,000 lb truck @ 75 mph, it's not a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread