Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They have to flash it. You can reflash your tune in the parking lot after they're done. Many have done so.
They do not have to flash it as the only change is fuel calibration and the tune overwrites it anyway so some dealers have been just skipping the flash and saying they did it for the recall paperwork side of things. I have spoken to a few guys who had the dealer skip the flash no issues and its also what my tuner recommended to save the hassle of trying to hook up a battery charger to flash the ecm upon picking up the truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
They do not have to flash it as the only change is fuel calibration and the tune overwrites it anyway so some dealers have been just skipping the flash and saying they did it for the recall paperwork side of things. I have spoken to a few guys who had the dealer skip the flash no issues and its also what my tuner recommended to save the hassle of trying to hook up a battery charger to flash the ecm upon picking up the truck.

Maybe in Canada.

I'd be curious to know if any US dealers have agreed to not push a flash update.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I'm surprised a dealer would work on a deleted truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, guys.

They did not re-flash and all is good. It is marked on the paperwork as "ECU re-flashed" , probably just to satisfy the recall bulletin.

Overall a good experience with the dealership.
Yup they put that so they can get paid lol

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
that's exactly what the dealer did on my vb recall, among the others required. tech didn't flash it, he knows my situation, and said he can check the complete box and be just fine. haven't had any issues.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I'm glad the dealers do recalls on deleted trucks. Seems odd though, when they repair them, they basically indemnify the delete.

readychassis

Reaction score
My 2020 Cummins Sport 3500 Dually truck is finally finished.

Quick synopsis:

1. The fuel Pump Failed on August 27th (had been on the waiting list for the CP4 repair)
  2. The correct flatbed came to pick up the truck on August 31st (a local problem because the towing companies weren't sending the right trucks)
  3. The dealer diagnosed the fuel system repair in early September (Castle Jeep Chrysler in Naperville - closest to where my truck was located)
  4. The dealer received 2 of 3 parts in the week of Sept 30th (the fuel tank was on backorder for 3 weeks)
  5. 3rd part (fuel tank and lines) showed up the week of October 3rd
  6. The truck was repaired and delivered back to me (with 1/3 tank of fuel) on October 12th at 5 pm
Repairs didn't cost me anything but time, and a half tank of fuel (I had filled the tank 10 minutes before it failed)

So far so good. I drove the truck for 60 minutes yesterday. Noticed nothing different - same old truck.

I wanted to thank the dealer for dealing with the issues best they could. They kept me in the loop and were completely transparent with the process, parts needed and timing best they could.

I'm still a Mopar die-hard to the end. Take the good with the bad...

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Hopefully FCA fired the engineer that OK'ed going with a known failure. FCA is at least recalling them unlike the other two manufactures.

Alexcollins

Reaction score
Hey there, new to this site but im running a 2020 ram 2500 deleted and tuned with a 45 over tune. Been back and forth with my dealership about getting the CP4 (Y78) recall done. So far they only did one truck thats been deleted and theyre still having tuning issues with it. Figured is post here to see if anyone else had the recall done with a delete and are having no issues and what tuner/tuning company you guys are using. Thanks. Located in Canada.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hey there, new to this site but im running a 2020 ram 2500 deleted and tuned with a 45 over tune from tuning, been back and forth with my dealership about getting the CP4 (Y78) recall done. So far they only did one truck thats been deleted and theyre still having tuning issues with it. Figured is post here to see if anyone else had the recall done with a delete and are having no issues and what tuner/tuning company you guys are using. Thanks. Located in Canada.
Dont post the tuners name…. They can do the recall no issue just make sure you dont have them flash it or if they do just reflash your tune in their lot before driving it

Last edited:

Alexcollins

Reaction score
Dont post the tuners name…. They can do the recall no issue just make sure you dont have them flash it or if they do just reflash your tune in their lot before driving it
My apologies, edited post to remove name. From what my dealer was saying reflashing a CP4 tune on them was causing alot of fuel pressure irregularities causing the truck to not run right. Im wondering if maybe there was a tune out there for the updated 6.7 with the CP3 on it.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
LOL you said not to name tuner but quoted his post still showing the tuner's name.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My apologies, edited post to remove name. From what my dealer was saying reflashing a CP4 tune on them was causing alot of fuel pressure irregularities causing the truck to not run right. Im wondering if maybe there was a tune out there for the updated 6.7 with the CP3 on it.
They have multiple variations of cp3 tunes give them a call

Users who are viewing this thread