Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio upgrade question

kdk

Reaction score
Hello, I am purchasing a 2020 ram 3500 tradesman which has the smaller stock radio panel. I have seen larger radio panels which include the heat/ac/fan control plus navigation etc included with the larger screen. Does anyone know if i can upgrade to this and the wiring harness which is in the tradesman will work. thanks in advance Keith

PCMDNH

Reaction score
Hello, I am purchasing a 2020 ram 3500 tradesman which has the smaller stock radio panel. I have seen larger radio panels which include the heat/ac/fan control plus navigation etc included with the larger screen. Does anyone know if i can upgrade to this and the wiring harness which is in the tradesman will work. thanks in advance Keith
Thinking the same thing with mine. that small screen is smaller than my phone.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
You can swap in any of the radios, but the method, parts, and cables required are different for each one. Which radio are you looking to upgrade to- 8.4 nav, 8.4 non nav, or 12”?

PCMDNH

Reaction score
looks like you can. checj this out:

CaptainMike

Reaction score
See my post right above yours- you do NOT have to spend that kind of money to get the 12” swap done. 100’s of people have done the swap on their own.

Perhaps you need to scrutinize your video a little closer and you'll see that the fellow is installing an Infotainment system, I was trying to be friendly and provide a direct link for the OP. But thanks for the snarky reply, that's the kind of thing the world needs more of.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Send Jimmy a consulting fee and he can help you do those upgrades for half the price. If you need custom cables and harnesses, he can build them for you.

You'll also have an AlfaOBD setup when you're done that can be useful for other things, instead of a one-trick pony drawer full of "programmers."

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps you need to scrutinize your video a little closer and you'll see that the fellow is installing an Infotainment system, I was trying to be friendly and provide a direct link for the OP. But thanks for the snarky reply, that's the kind of thing the world needs more of.

Perhaps you should slow your roll.

Jimmy is the resident expert here and IS trying to help AND save people money at the same time.

He knows exactly what' in the video.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Did I miss something here? You linked to a kit, and commented that it’s expensive. I replied letting you know there’s cheaper ways of doing it. I said see post above, because we may have been posting at the same time, and missed each others posts.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Perhaps you should slow your roll.

Jimmy is the resident expert here and IS trying to help AND save people money at the same time.

He knows exactly what' in the video.

The man pointlessly clobbers me over the head for giving the OP a direct link and you say I need to slow my roll. I don't know Jimmy from Jack, I was simply adding a little content that I have found in my own research. If y'all find that as unacceptable behavior on my part I'll refrain from further actions and participation.

Last edited:

mountainears

Reaction score
Ill just say that having [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] and [mention]Brutal_HO [/mention] on your side inthis forum is in your best interest:). Always good to check out who the players are before calling someone snarky. They are huge content provides here (and I’d love to know what their backgrounds are that got them to the level of knowledge they have!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astrohog

Reaction score
The man pointlessly clobbers me over the head for giving the OP a direct link and you say I need to slow my roll. I don't know Jimmy from Jack, I was simply adding a little content that I have found in my own research. If y'all find that as unacceptable behavior on my part I'll refrain from further actions and participation.
I've been a member here for one day and I recognize that Jimmy is an invaluable resource on this forum.....

And, NO, he DIDN'T clobber you for posting a link, he simply pointed out that the same could be had cheaper.

Maybe you should find the "safe space" thread and hang out there........

Users who are viewing this thread