Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PW ride quality?

fsjking

Reaction score
I'm looking into a power wagon, but am not likely going to get to test drive one before ordering unless I want to drive a few hours. How does the ride compare to a laramie or big horn 2500? The last time I drove one of those, they felt a little stiff and top heavy. I've been driving half tons for the last decade, so I know that's skewing the feeling for me. I'm pretty much talking highway driving in this case, but I am curious how the PW compares to those.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
Compared to my old 2wd Dodge Ram 1500 (which road like a sofa), it's stuff. Compared to my Jeep CJ that's lifted, its about the same I guess; a bit better because of the longer wheelbase

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

@JC

Reaction score
My wife sleeps the whole 3 hour drive to the lake and she's pretty bump sensitive. She also gets motion sickness in a rolling suspension and hasn't complained yet on any road trips.

Motornutt

Reaction score
Just brought my new 2020 home on a 400 mile drive this weekend and the ride was nice. This compared to my 2004 2500 Cummins Laramie 4X4 short box. Wife and I switched between the PW and our Grand Cherokee Overland on the drive and the PW sucked up the dips in the highway better than the GC. We were both very impressed with the ride.

brainless

Reaction score
For the record since this thread is a little old...

2019 PW 1300-mile one way nonstop from TN to ME:
She drives like a luxury SUV.

She was loaded with power tools, 95 gal of gasoline (in the transfer tank), 2 cats and the wife.

y4mpYtsfDD5pjbeeRArPJdloJ1GfGYsfsX3jwZGCSRX_Ki_bchD82zqsxAAab21GqKpXQhPh9dKvh0jE4901EgmtPFOJu1pJ1xO8Y6rL43QXSNtbQBIZ5PLMz65ejJPxQjcovi1SQwbOe_8Woy-miyYYkiA-lUOc7S6V0iC2PY-6hp8rlSwXepUetLpk835D8BA

The all slept like babies. :lol:

y4m1oH9mZImBvQbk8s5kP6IItcCTl04ngk7ePCbGW5DD9Yd9MibcayVQF8NFyzPGHg0hqovTcP_HIA5cSvffni70G8V6CPcXbdun2lzvZ5XDFbKSgUVSD3hDBa5iuvaDZFmT-dVntsFR-gvdr1p6J7CxX04KssYm-_TKe9-pk4HEJF439aMc1ixhSWLKFLZrPxE

Last edited:

PMC

Reaction score
I've owned a few trucks and the PW rides better than the last two but that's not saying much. Compared to a SRW 3500 cummins and a DRW 3500 cummins it's smooth as silk. Compared to a 2012 F150 it's not as soft. I prefer the ride on my PW to the diesel Jeep WU my wife drives as well.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Test drove a tradesman before buying my 21 PW, PW seemed much better...I’d drive the 3 hours for a test drive before dropping close to 70k

Wobly

Reaction score
When I did my first test drive in a 2020 Power Wagon, it was about a year ago when Covid was causing even more issues than it is now. We went to a dealer in Denver and they gave me the keys for us to take it out for a while without a salesman. We went on some city streets and I felt like we were riding a buck-board! We went to a church parking lot and I let some air out of the tires, since they were at 70 psi. I put them down to about 50 psi and drove around a little bit more. HUGE difference. Initially, leaving the dealer, my wife was asking "Why do you like this so much?". On the way back, after letting out some air, she said "Now I get it. This rides really nice!".
When I picked up my new truck a couple of weeks ago, I did a test drive before signing any papers. I took the truck up I-25 in Castle Rock, which has the cement highway with terrible seams. I exited the highway and went to Firestone. They gave me a promotional air gauge and I let some air out in their parking lot. Again, a HUGE difference in ride quality. The next day, I changed the tires out and that improved it even more. I did the chalk test the next day and dialed in the tire pressure for even more improvement.

DYNADAVE

Reaction score
I have a 2017 PW which I bought new,(and ordered a 2021 PW which should be here in a couple weeks),compared to any brand HD truck with leaf springs,the ride quality far excedes the rest,I do always keep tires @55 psi,dont know the reason for 70 psi in the previous post.

Dwc7988

Reaction score
For the record since this thread is a little old...

2019 PW 1300-mile one way nonstop from TN to ME:
She drives like a luxury SUV.

She was loaded with power tools, 95 gal of gasoline (in the transfer tank), 2 cats and the wife.

y4mpYtsfDD5pjbeeRArPJdloJ1GfGYsfsX3jwZGCSRX_Ki_bchD82zqsxAAab21GqKpXQhPh9dKvh0jE4901EgmtPFOJu1pJ1xO8Y6rL43QXSNtbQBIZ5PLMz65ejJPxQjcovi1SQwbOe_8Woy-miyYYkiA-lUOc7S6V0iC2PY-6hp8rlSwXepUetLpk835D8BA

The all slept like babies. :lol:

y4m1oH9mZImBvQbk8s5kP6IItcCTl04ngk7ePCbGW5DD9Yd9MibcayVQF8NFyzPGHg0hqovTcP_HIA5cSvffni70G8V6CPcXbdun2lzvZ5XDFbKSgUVSD3hDBa5iuvaDZFmT-dVntsFR-gvdr1p6J7CxX04KssYm-_TKe9-pk4HEJF439aMc1ixhSWLKFLZrPxE
can you post a picture of the view from your third brake light cargo cam? I am looking at that rack but am concerned about the camera blockage.

brainless

Reaction score
can you post a picture of the view from your third brake light cargo cam? I am looking at that rack but am concerned about the camera blockage.
There is 100% blockage. I installed that rack approx 2 months ago and haven't had the time to give feedback to the manufacurer, which took 9 months to build BTW. But I LOVE the rack.

It's off topic, so I'll create separate thread for it. Wait for it.... Wait for it...

Iowagon

Reaction score
Man my ride quality is great even with the factory installed Duratracs and factory psi setting. Though I'm shocked at the 65-70psi, but that's what the door jamb says too. Maybe I'll try letting some air out just to see what you guys are talking about.

@JC

Reaction score
You get 20% before the low tire pressure warning comes on and then it stays on until you inflate them all the way back up to the door jam specs. Just FYI.

Wobly

Reaction score
You get 20% before the low tire pressure warning comes on and then it stays on until you inflate them all the way back up to the door jam specs. Just FYI.
....Unless you use a Tazer or AlfaOBD to adjust the TPMS settings. ;)

But, yes, let some air out and enjoy the comfort!

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
For those that don't like the ride, you can throw some $$$ at Carli or Thuren for suspension. It will ride great and lighten your wallet at the same time.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I believe the PSI on the door jamb sticker is for a fully loaded truck. So if you are not driving it fully loaded all the time, you can lower the PSI.
There are a few tire manufacturer websites out there that will tell you what PSI is needed for what weight.
On my F250, I'm running about 40 PSI empty. When I load up, I increase the PSI as necessary.
When I get my PW, I'll do the same

Iowagon

Reaction score
I believe the PSI on the door jamb sticker is for a fully loaded truck. So if you are not driving it fully loaded all the time, you can lower the PSI.
There are a few tire manufacturer websites out there that will tell you what PSI is needed for what weight.
On my F250, I'm running about 40 PSI empty. When I load up, I increase the PSI as necessary.
That's interesting. I've always just run whatever the vehicle sticker says. I'll check Goodyear's website.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score

Yep. We’ve always run our harley’s that way, full load for a full load.

Users who are viewing this thread