Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

jebruns

Reaction score
Have you tried mark dodge? Doesn't look like much more of a drive. They bent over backwards to accommodate me in picking my truck up. For me, that meant meeting me at the Houston airport and bringing me to the dealer. Saved me a hotel stay, a rental car and was able to get a super cheap airline ticket into houston. They would have also delivered the truck to me there. Great experience all around. Their price was the same as granger but for some reason, granger couldn't get me the ram box and mark dodge could.
Looks like an additional 6 hours of drive time compared to Granger. Not knocking Mark Dodge. I'm kind of in between Granger and MD, so priced both. I'm sure I'd have been happy with MD also. Price was the same, but Granger is a couple of hours closer.

Oh, and I had no issue getting Ramboxes on the 22 2500 I ordered from Granger.

Attachments

• 20221005_180118.jpg
    20221005_180118.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 25

kevin588127

Reaction score
Looks like an additional 6 hours of drive time compared to Granger. Not knocking Mark Dodge. I'm kind of in between Granger and MD, so priced both. I'm sure I'd have been happy with MD also. Price was the same, but Granger is a couple of hours closer.

Oh, and I had no issue getting Ramboxes on the 22 2500 I ordered from Granger.
Looks like a limited which comes standard with ramboxes? I ordered in January and was told I'd have to wait until the following month and maybe the rambox would be off restricted ordering. MD placed my order the next day with them. I live 3 hours from granger but they kind of wasted a bunch of my time (almost 3 weeks) due to poor communication. During that time, there was a significant price increase as well. I know many have been satisfied but my experience was pretty poor.

jebruns

Reaction score
Looks like a limited which comes standard with ramboxes? I ordered in January and was told I'd have to wait until the following month and maybe the rambox would be off restricted ordering. MD placed my order the next day with them. I live 3 hours from granger but they kind of wasted a bunch of my time (almost 3 weeks) due to poor communication. During that time, there was a significant price increase as well. I know many have been satisfied but my experience was pretty poor.
They are not standard on all the Limited's. Mine is a Limited Longhorn, and they are not standard on those. I specifically ordered the boxes. I placed my order in late March of '22.

I think if you are the kind of person, and no insult intended, that needs to have more hand holding during the process, MD might be a better choice. I did not really care how long it took for my build and I did not contact the dealer much at all during the 6 months it took to get mine. I am happy with the Granger experience.

Gary2920

Reaction score
Thought I'd chime in here. I've recently been shopping around and came across Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA. They said they would ship the truck to me and I only pay tax in my state! The offer sheet is below for reference. Any thoughts here would really be appreciated!

Did they quote you a certain percentage discounted from Invoice? Seems like Koons is the low water mark with 6.5% off Invoice and no financing requirements.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I needed no hand holding. When I ordered, there was a great disparity between the ram build site and what was able to be ordered. Pricing was different as well. I was trying to stay in a budget and also trying to weigh out want vs need. Several builds got kicked back as an option unavailable or " you can't have this with out that". Neither of that was reflected on the ram build site. I was having both dealers work up prices on various builds. The difference was that my sales person at MD actually responded to emails the same day or answered his phone. The gal at granger never once answered her phone or returned a phone call. Tried really hard to just build it over the phone. Usually took 3 days to get me a new quote back. Figured if that was the treatment before the sale, it probably wouldn't get any easier later. I'm glad you and others had better luck, it would have been great to drive 3 hours instead of 19.
They are not standard on all the Limited's. Mine is a Limited Longhorn, and they are not standard on those. I specifically ordered the boxes. I placed my order in late March of '22.

I think if you are the kind of person, and no insult intended, that needs to have more hand holding during the process, MD might be a better choice. I did not really care how long it took for my build and I did not contact the dealer much at all during the 6 months it took to get mine. I am happy with the Granger experience.

Drew M

Reaction score
I needed no hand holding. When I ordered, there was a great disparity between the ram build site and what was able to be ordered. Pricing was different as well. I was trying to stay in a budget and also trying to weigh out want vs need. Several builds got kicked back as an option unavailable or " you can't have this with out that". Neither of that was reflected on the ram build site. I was having both dealers work up prices on various builds. The difference was that my sales person at MD actually responded to emails the same day or answered his phone. The gal at granger never once answered her phone or returned a phone call. Tried really hard to just build it over the phone. Usually took 3 days to get me a new quote back. Figured if that was the treatment before the sale, it probably wouldn't get any easier later. I'm glad you and others had better luck, it would have been great to drive 3 hours instead of 19.
Sorry to hear you had problems. I too had the “oh that changed, or you need to get this for that”. Luckily I was able to keep at/below my budget.
I didn’t have many issues or questions. When I did, they were quick to reply. My primary rep even gave me her email (and cell#, I think). I chose Granger for their quick quotes, support, and the 3.5 hr trip.
Now it’s on Stellantis/RAMto get the truck shipped in a safe and timely manner…

wormbat

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had problems. I too had the “oh that changed, or you need to get this for that”. Luckily I was able to keep at/below my budget.
I didn’t have many issues or questions. When I did, they were quick to reply. My primary rep even gave me her email (and cell#, I think). I chose Granger for their quick quotes, support, and the 3.5 hr trip.
Sounds similar to my experience with Granger. I emailed them three different builds (Big Horn, Laramie, Limited) got three quotes within the hour, had to change a few things on the final build but everything was finalized by email within the same day. Never actually spoke with anyone, I like having an email trail to reference. My 23 has been built and shipped, they've answered my emails about tracking information pretty quickly. As of yesterday its in Texas heading towards Kansas City.

Splzhaul

Reaction score
I am looking to order a new 2023 3500 SRW Limited. I am not sure on the HO. Does anyone have a thought on the HO?

PD Luke

Reaction score
I have a 3500 SRW Limited with the HO and love it. A lot of discussion on SO vs HO on this thread. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/high-output-aisin-vs-standard-68rfe.1609/
I also have a 2022 3500 CC LB with the HO. I love it. It drives great. I cannot compare it to a SO because all my previous Ram's were manual transmission. I was somewhat concerned before I ordered on how it would shift. There were some comments of hard shifts with the Aisin before 2022. I think this has been fixed because I have not seen any comments recently. Mine shifts great and the ride is very nice.

Splzhaul

Reaction score
I also have a 2022 3500 CC LB with the HO. I love it. It drives great. I cannot compare it to a SO because all my previous Ram's were manual transmission. I was somewhat concerned before I ordered on how it would shift. There were some comments of hard shifts with the Aisin before 2022. I think this has been fixed because I have not seen any comments recently. Mine shifts great and the ride is very nice.
Thanks for your help. I will look at them.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
I am looking to order a new 2023 3500 SRW Limited. I am not sure on the HO. Does anyone have a thought on the HO?
I have a 2022 3500 DRW Limited with the HO engine and the Aisin. Fantastic truck. I am pulling a 17,000# fifth wheel and the power blew me away. This thing will accelerate to pass going up a mountain grade at 65 mph. Unless I'm paying close attention I never notice the shifts. We also use the truck as our daily driver on RV trips (going to the grocery store, trailhead, etc) and, other than the much stiffer suspension, I'd say the driving experience is very similar to my Toyota Tundra. I didn't expect the truck to be this nice.

We have the 4.10 transmission which helps on the acceleration - 10% more power. You don't pay a 10% penalty on fuel economy though. You're still moving roughly the same amount of weight with either rear end. You do have 10% higher rpms at the same speed, but that doesn't translate to 10% more fuel at the same load. I don't have any empirical evidence, but I've always felt that a smaller engine can use more fuel than a larger one at the same heavy loading.

There is a 20 mile flat stretch of interstate that I drive for fuel economy tests. With no wind, at 65 mph, the truck's mpg gauge shows 19-20 mpg. However, based upon fuel filling records, I think the fuel economy gauge reads 5 - 10% high . I always wind up putting more in the tank than the mpg/mileage readout says I should. I can't speak to the fuel economy of the SO setup. A friend has a 2022 3500 Limited Longhorn SRW with the SO engine. He says he gets about the same. After seeing our truck, he wishes he'd gotten the HO setup. If you're planning to pull a heavy load, the HO option is a no brainer IMO.

Thisnthat

Reaction score

Sounds similar to my experience with Granger. I emailed them three different builds (Big Horn, Laramie, Limited) got three quotes within the hour, had to change a few things on the final build but everything was finalized by email within the same day. Never actually spoke with anyone, I like having an email trail to reference. My 23 has been built and shipped, they've answered my emails about tracking information pretty quickly. As of yesterday its in Texas heading towards Kansas City.

Granger apparently had several issues this past spring with communication (yes, even responding to emails) that they even posted on here about trying to work out the kinks...some were even being quoted invoice prices vs the 4% under to where Zach had to get involved to get everything ironed out...they started offering the 4% forum deal in the fall of 21. Haven't really seen any issues posted on here recently so imagine they got it all straighten out...which would make sense as they are very active on the Ford forums as well.

When asked who I ordered from, although I ordered from Mark Dodge, I always give Granger's info as well and will give them a shot at my business the next time I'm in the market

jebruns

Reaction score
Did they quote you a certain percentage discounted from Invoice? Seems like Koons is the low water mark with 6.5% off Invoice and no financing requirements.
But Koons fees are a lot higher. Like $900. Granger's total fee was $225. So you need to look at the bottom line, with fees, travel expenses, extended warranties, etc, etc to figure out which is the best deal.

jebruns

Reaction score
Good motor and trans. But I wouldn't do it unless you plan to haul heavy with it a lot. It will cost you in MPG, there is no question there. So if you don't need the extra power, it's probably not worth it. I looked at that hard when I ordered my 22. I was driving a nice 18 Ram 2500 with the Cummins at the time, so thought about "future proving" and getting a 3500 SRW with the HO. Went back and forth with Granger pricing on those for 2-3 weeks. Test drove some local dealers trucks and decided I liked the ride of my air suspended 2500 more and would never need the extra capacity the 3500 HO offered (we own a 40' diesel pusher RV). It was tempting for not that much more money. But I just could not justify getting worse mileage for doing the same job.

tchur1

Reaction score
Good motor and trans. But I wouldn't do it unless you plan to haul heavy with it a lot. It will cost you in MPG, there is no question there. So if you don't need the extra power, it's probably not worth it. I looked at that hard when I ordered my 22. I was driving a nice 18 Ram 2500 with the Cummins at the time, so thought about "future proving" and getting a 3500 SRW with the HO. Went back and forth with Granger pricing on those for 2-3 weeks. Test drove some local dealers trucks and decided I liked the ride of my air suspended 2500 more and would never need the extra capacity the 3500 HO offered (we own a 40' diesel pusher RV). It was tempting for not that much more money. But I just could not justify getting worse mileage for doing the same job.
Not trying to start an MPG argument here, it's been widely discussed in the thread I posted but I wouldn't make my determination on SO vs HO on MPGs. Before I put 37s on my truck I was getting 20 MPG on the highway relatively easily. Driving style plays a larger role in fuel efficiency then SO vs HO IMO.

68RFE will feel smoother and a bit quicker IMO then the AISIN but the towing experience with the AISIN is fantastic. So if you're planning to tow regularly id go HO.

jebruns

Reaction score
Not trying to start an MPG argument here, it's been widely discussed in the thread I posted but I wouldn't make my determination on SO vs HO on MPGs. Before I put 37s on my truck I was getting 20 MPG on the highway relatively easily. Driving style plays a larger role in fuel efficiency then SO vs HO IMO.
I read a ton of info on mileage difference of the SO and HO on various forums and truck review sites, both when I was trying to make the decision myself and since then. Given as like circumstances as possible, the HO is consistently going to be 2-3mpg worse from my research. Extra power from the same platform is never free. Whether that loss is a big deal to a particular buyer based on their wants/needs is the real question.

Drew M

Reaction score
It looks like we are about 2 weeks apart. I tried a local RAM dealer, but they thought $500 below MSRP was a great deal.
Where do you live? I live just south of Kansas City.

Drew M

Reaction score
Granger did, and their fees are only $225. They have no other requirements. They won't discuss financing, rebates, nor trade-ins until you get closer to delivery. In view of the differing timelines and options issues, I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread