Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre Heat Before Starting Question

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just saw this….. does this have anything to do with whether the truck has remote start capability? Not understanding how if you have to keep the brake applied how a remote (not occupied) works. Might be a simple answer but my new truck will be way different than the ‘01
No nothing to do with the remote start system. Its the pushbutton start because there is no key when its cold and you push the start button the grid heater will have a countdown timer then the truck will start

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Just saw this….. does this have anything to do with whether the truck has remote start capability? Not understanding how if you have to keep the brake applied how a remote (not occupied) works. Might be a simple answer but my new truck will be way different than the ‘01

The randomness of the need to press the start button again verses it automatically starting after a countdown is not related to the auto start. My 2500 is a Tradesman and our 3500 has auto start, they both do this.

TW720HVY

Reaction score
I was able to take a picture when the trucks recently needed preheat. They're different trucks, however both have shown the same messages. In fact, this day the truck that auto started after the preheat was in a warmer garage.

I would really like to know the logic behind what makes the truck start automatically compared to when I have to commence the start process again after preheat.

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My ‘18 was very picky on how fast I went from pressing the brake to the push button.

That means I’m slower now at depressing the brake and then the start button. I have only ever seen the “please wait for automatic start” screen in my ‘22, but I never wait that long… even when it’s well below 0°F.

Maybe I’ll play with mine this morning and see what screens show up with or without brake pressing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright here is what I found.

Foot off brake, ignition to ON. No automatic engine start message. (First time I recall seeing this message in the truck)

6BF3B2B0-DC89-45B1-AC3A-498CE5C6F85B.jpeg

Foot on brake, ignition to ON. Automatic engine start message received.

E4BEE524-6B8E-4F9E-9073-30CC32ED2996.jpeg

I verified my ‘22 will also start without my foot on the brake during the automatic start countdown. I think that’s the first time I’ve waited for the WTS to extinguish (aside from a remote start).

For those of you that are having random auto be no-auto starts I suggest slowing down on brake to button, press the brake wait a second and then press the button. I bet the issue goes away.

Will_T

Reaction score
Alright here is what I found.

Foot off brake, ignition to ON. No automatic engine start message. (First time I recall seeing this message in the truck)

Foot on brake, ignition to ON. Automatic engine start message received.

I verified my ‘22 will also start without my foot on the brake during the automatic start countdown. I think that’s the first time I’ve waited for the WTS to extinguish (aside from a remote start).

For those of you that are having random auto be no-auto starts I suggest slowing down on brake to button, press the brake wait a second and then press the button. I bet the issue goes away.

I just checked mine and that is indeed how it worked, at least this time.

Because I have the grid heater disconnected, I have to be wary of the preheat cycle completing. With foot off the brake, if I press once the dash just comes to life but no preheat. If I press the button a 2nd time with foot off the brake, it seems like more stuff awakens and the preheat cycle will run but the truck won't start.

My question for anyone who knows for sure is when you press the button the 2nd time, even with foot off the brake, does more stuff on the truck reall start up? You, know like the old keys where turn it to the first spot and acc is on, turn it one more click and more stuff comes on, turn it past that point and the truck started. I can play around with it today but I seem to remember that there are a few things that won't work unless you press the button a 2nd time. (Maybe windows?)

If I ever do press the button a 2nd time, I have to remember to really start the truck and let it warm up because if the preheat countdown completes with the GH disconnectd, a CEL can come on.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes lots more comes on. If you look at the lights on your push button you will see it go thru off-acc-run-off.

Most of the additional stuff is readings on the EVIC and programming menus on the UConnect.

Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
Are these new Cummins more sensitive to cold starts without the warmup? I swear I could take my old 24 valve to somewhere 20 below, forget to let the grid heater do its thing and it would fire right up. Blew more black smoke than usual and needed to warm up a bit for sure but it would fire off every time

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No they are not, if anything they start better without aid.

flan

Reaction score
Are these new Cummins more sensitive to cold starts without the warmup? I swear I could take my old 24 valve to somewhere 20 below, forget to let the grid heater do its thing and it would fire right up. Blew more black smoke than usual and needed to warm up a bit for sure but it would fire off every time
Starting with skipping the grid heat at 0 degrees and 80 degrees provides a pretty similar result in my experience, they have come a ways from my 12 valves.

Users who are viewing this thread