Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre Heat Before Starting Question

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this thread, but I did a search and didn't see one.

Does anyone know why the engine will auto-start after pre heating one day, and the next I'll have to press the start button when the pre heat is completed?

Nick

Reaction score
Sometimes you may have eased on the brake pedal without realizing it . Who knows with the electronics in these things . Be happy it starts !:)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you keep your foot on the brake it should always start after the grid heater cycles

TW720HVY

Reaction score
I am not completely sure the foot on the brake has anything to do with it, the reason being, the dash display says something like...

Diesel Preheat in Progress

or

Diesel Preheat in Progress
Engine will automatically start when complete (or something similar)

Both messages appear the instant my foot is on the brake and the start is pushed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
on my way home in about an hour or so i will try it without my foot staying on the brake just to see it is cold enough it should run the preheat i will report back

techman

Reaction score
Refer to page 117 of your owners manual for new Ram.

Foot on the brake to auto start, meaning it goes from acc to crank automatically (after preheat if necessary). Foot off the brake, will not move from acc to crank automatically and you need to press start to crank one more time.

superjoe83

Reaction score
It seems like mine won't do the auto start after preheat if I have my door open when I first press the start button

Jacob

Reaction score
Near as I can tell it's completely random. I always have my foot firmly on the brake and most times have to hit the button again. I would say 1 out of 7 times it will start automatically. Seems like when the temp is in the 50 to 60 degree range.

techman

Reaction score
No start if foots off the brake during countdown
On my 22 you can take your foot off the brake after start press and during preheat countdown. In fact I do that so the rear brake lights don't sap some starting power.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
On my 22 you can take your foot off the brake after start press and during preheat countdown. In fact I do that so the rear brake lights don't sap some starting power.
Hmm thats odd mine did not start without my foot on the brake but the 19 could be different from the 22

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Near as I can tell it's completely random. I always have my foot firmly on the brake and most times have to hit the button again. I would say 1 out of 7 times it will start automatically. Seems like when the temp is in the 50 to 60 degree range.

That's exactly what I have experienced as well. I always keep my foot on the brake, and I never just press the start button to start the preheat.

Glad I am not alone. Maybe it has to do with an outside temperature range.

Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
My 22 seems pretty random on this too. Lately its been turning over after hitting with my foot on the brake but not always.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Thought it was just me. Seems completely random on mine too. If it doesn't crank, I just hit the button again and it always starts.

Nothing to worry about now with the heater unhooked. If it acts like it's going to try to heat, I'll just hit the button twice and move on.

Ronstar

Reaction score
Just saw this….. does this have anything to do with whether the truck has remote start capability? Not understanding how if you have to keep the brake applied how a remote (not occupied) works. Might be a simple answer but my new truck will be way different than the ‘01

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
remote start keeps the doors locked. you then have to unlock, get in the truck, and hit the start button before you roll out.

Users who are viewing this thread