Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerwagon light bar options?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
A 30" KC bar fit the flat section of bumper perfectly after making some simple brackets of aluminum angle "iron?", blocks no flow and used rivnuts....four of them.
$300.00 online and the max length that won't get into the upswept curve of the bumper.image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Bubba's Beast

Reaction score
I was actually looking into this pretty extensively last night as well.

The Randy Ellis bar is way overpriced for what it is, no two ways about it. I personally don't think it looks good either, but it is one of the only options for aftermarket lights on the stock bumper.

I have seen some light bars mounted to the grill, creating brackets behind the grill (don't need to cut grill apart), like i've attached.

I think the other option for light is an A pillar mount for ditch lights. I'm thinking about doing this with the baja designs, amber LP4.
I went with the Ridgid brackets and D series pro flood ditch lights on my 2021 PW. I also have the Trigger 4 plus wireless switch controller. They work awesome and provide a substantial amount of light output to help big time on those back country roads.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
OK, after looking over my bumper, I realized that he's working on a 1500 and their bumpers are different. They have more room in the middle area than we do. It's because of the "dip" in the middle to allow air to flow to the cooler behind the bumper between the bumper and grill.

Bubba's Beast

Reaction score
I've got the Ridgid D Series ditch lights and absolutely love them. Also have the Trigger 4 plus wireless controller installed. This system works flawlessly, at least it has for me so far

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_150248195~4.jpg
    IMG_20221111_150248195~4.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 59

pyrorobert

Reaction score
So I wanted my lightbar to be tucked in and not to be hanging forward on the bumper. I found a 20" lightbar on Amazon that puts out 10000 lumens and it measured the correct length to fit inside that slot between the bumper and grill. I have not had any cooling issues whatsoever.
d5c6f125e32f5104c4dd19efd3f70c20.jpg
48bfa6097c555c45685573d8f0202536.jpg
bd29097c2c7f22200a55cdb75a1e4983.jpg

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

Aaandroger

Reaction score
So I wanted my lightbar to be tucked in and not to be hanging forward on the bumper. I found a 20" lightbar on Amazon that puts out 10000 lumens and it measured the correct length to fit inside that slot between the bumper and grill. I have not had any cooling issues whatsoever.
d5c6f125e32f5104c4dd19efd3f70c20.jpg
48bfa6097c555c45685573d8f0202536.jpg
bd29097c2c7f22200a55cdb75a1e4983.jpg

Link to light bar, please

pyrorobert

Reaction score
Thank you! Can you also detail how you mounted it?
Of course, I made two small brackets out of some aluminum I picked up from Home Depot and took apart the existing screw mounts shown in the photos here. It was like meant to be. You can zoom into the photo and you will see them on each side of the lightbar. Worked out perfectly.
30dd39b61d86b8712a822bbeb7d3ae17.jpg
9919cf48f919c9c0387e7f63c18fa565.jpg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I like the way it fits in. I beleive that bolt is one that Baja Design uses for their bracket for their system.
But I'm curious what the cooler is in that slot? I can't seem to find it by searching on line. That slot it appears is the only air flow to that cooler.
So is it a Power Steering cooler? Looks kind of big for that.
Extra transmission cooler? There is a gage to check that temp, so if it is, would be interesting to see if its affected when towing.
Extra oil cooler? I know there is one down by the oil filter. And there is a gage to check that as well.

Just don't want to block something that may cause issues later.

cucamelsmd15@

Reaction score
Would it be possible to take some up close pictures? Specifically clearance behind the light? I have strongly been contemplating doing this exact thing with a Rough Country Black series bar.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I like the way it fits in. I beleive that bolt is one that Baja Design uses for their bracket for their system.
But I'm curious what the cooler is in that slot? I can't seem to find it by searching on line. That slot it appears is the only air flow to that cooler.
So is it a Power Steering cooler? Looks kind of big for that.
Extra transmission cooler? There is a gage to check that temp, so if it is, would be interesting to see if its affected when towing.
Extra oil cooler? I know there is one down by the oil filter. And there is a gage to check that as well.

Just don't want to block something that may cause issues later.

It’s hot here, no way I was blocking anything.

pyrorobert

Reaction score
I'll get some more up close photos tomorrow. Hope this helps. I have not had any issues with heating but the only thing that I have towed is my son's Jeep to Arizona to and from. My goal is to get a travel trailer later down the line.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
This is in response to the setup @pyrorobert has.
So I took a closer look at the cooler and gap above the bumper today where you have mounted the LED light bar.
I can easily feel the bolts on the side that you used to mount the LED light bar.
However, best I can tell, that cooler is a transmission cooler, probably needed when hauling a heavy load or climbing hills. Looking at the complete OEM set up, the only passage I can find for air to reach that cooler is thru that small open gap that you have put the LED light bar in. There is a plate at the bottom of the gap so no air would get to the cooler from the winch opening. Also there is the grill covering that blocks any air going thru the grill to go down and thru the cooler. With the LED light bar in that gap, it seems to be blocking the majority of the air flow thru there.
That is my biggest concern of filling that gap, that it will block air flow to that cooler and render it useless.

It will be interesting to see what the temps do as you haul a heavy load or climb a big hill with the LED bar in that spot.
I'm not criticizing the mount at all. That is about the only place to do a clean mount at a reasonable cost. Just concerned about towing or heavy loads and the cooler not getting enough air flow across it.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
OK, I stand corrected. I finally climbed under the truck and traced the lines out to see where they go.

That cooler is for the power steering. So worse case, you over heat the power steering if you are doing some slow rock crawling with big tires. Other than that, I don't really think it will be an issue. maybe change the fluid out more often?

pyrorobert

Reaction score
Crusty, thank you for the heads up. I have taken it wheeling and I have watched the gauges which have run just fine so far. I do have a chance tomorrow to take a look at what is under there. Thank you again.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
pyrorobert, no problem. I'm trying to find a good solution as well.
I'm moving on to 40 acres in the high desert next year. No street lights for miles. Lots of wild animals out and about as most of the area is not fenced in. people just fence in a little plot right around their house and leave the rest of their land open.
So I'm looking for a good bright solution for night driving for those times I'll need it.

Users who are viewing this thread