Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Wagon v. Diesel Fuel Costs

Lbjjbj

Reaction score
Just dont get an ecodiesel as the oil filter costs $80

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
People forget to factor the PRICE of DEF into the cost of diesel MPG as well

This is often true, but it's relatively insignificant. I average $0.008/mile, vs fuel that averages $0.400/mile. DEF has added 2% to the consumable cost on my 2022.

On my 2018 DEF added 1.76% to the fuel cost over 46K miles of tracking.

From my 2022, as of my last DEF fillup.

2022 Cummins.JPG

Desertfox73

Reaction score
This is often true, but it's relatively insignificant. I average $0.008/mile, vs fuel that averages $0.400/mile. DEF has added 2% to the consumable cost on my 2022.

On my 2018 DEF added 1.76% to the fuel cost over 46K miles of tracking.

From my 2022, as of my last DEF fillup.

View attachment 50729
Yeah, for me, DEF was an annoyance more than a cost issue. It's a non-factor, really, as far as $$. But having one more gauge to watch, and on remote long trips having to carry an extra jug, wasn't my favorite. First world problem, though.

DrTron

Reaction score
Just curious, looks like the DEF tank is 5.7 Gallons, how far can the truck go until empty? More than a couple thousand miles?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, for me, DEF was an annoyance more than a cost issue. It's a non-factor, really, as far as $$. But having one more gauge to watch, and on remote long trips having to carry an extra jug, wasn't my favorite. First world problem, though.

The range decrease on my '22 over the '18 is noticeable, but so far I haven't needed to carry extra DEF and have been able to do what I need with a full tank.

Just curious, looks like the DEF tank is 5.7 Gallons, how far can the truck go until empty? More than a couple thousand miles?

I get ~350 mpg towing and ~700 mpg empty, so up to 2K miles towing or 4K miles empty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread