Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power wagon owner at my wits end.

Tackett

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Ben. I have a 2018 power wagon with about 57k miles, bought 18 months ago that I loathe. I’m reaching out here really, because I have no other option. I don’t know what else to do. Allow me to tell you a story of a cursed vehicle.

I bought my power wagon used with about 12k miles on the clock. I was in love, it was amazing. Then, two days later on the drive to work at 530, POW! I glance a deer. It hit the bumper on the right hand side with minimal damage. The vehicle had an obvious drift to the right and shaking but really no other damage. I turn it in on insurance and send it to the dealership who did nothing except replace the bumper despite my complaints, taking literally a month to do it. They informed me that the tires (oem Tires) were worn and that was the reason for the pulling and nothing else was wrong. I didn’t necessarily believe that explanation but I let it go and thought well maybe it will work out when I change the tires. FF a few months and the tires end up wearing horribly uneven with feathering on the driver side and a bald spot on the inside of the driver side. I take it to a local tire place who replace the tires and alight it and I drive off. Lo and behold the symptom is no different. The vehicle shakes at 55-60mph and drifts right. I return to the shop and tell them their alignment sucked and didnt Do anything. They take it back, tell me the alignment is in spec and can see nothing wrong. Basically they told me to go away. So I did and made an appointment at another ram dealership. After being at this dealership for about a week, the guy tells me that the alignment is in spec, there is def something wrong and he doesn’t know what. He gives me the keys, and says ah buh bye.

About 8-9 months later the brand new tires are ruined and because if this, I fishtail up my friends driveway in the rain and smack the rear quarter panel against his stone mailbox. Another insurance claim later just basically for cosmetic damage and, in passing I ask the body shop to take a look while they are replacing the bed to see if they can figure out the problem. 6 weeks later the body work is done and they tell me, whelp it ain’t right somethings not right but no one here can figure it out.

I order new tires again, take it to a new place this time an off-road specialty shop to install the tires and tell him about the problem. He seems confident he can fix it. He replaces the left wheel bearing, that don’t do it, so he keeps it longer trying different alignment specs. He finally calls me today says “hey I got it!” He aligned it to Thuren specs whatever that means, and it fixed it. I had someone else go pick it up since I had somewhere to be. 650.00 and 5 weeks later later I get it home get in and nope, the same exact problem still exists and is no better.

so basically I’ve had this turd to:
2 dealerships
1 tire shop
1 body shop
1 off-road shop
no one can fix it and I’m starting to loose my mind. Why can no one seem to find the issue?
I’m going to call ram customer service tommorrow and see if they have any suggestions. I mean I barely glanced a deer and it created this problem and I work with a guy who nearly totaled his Audi and took 24k to put it back together and that thing drives straight. So what gives, one glancing deer strike and the vehicles just screwed?

thanks for listening to my rant, if anyone has any advise I’m all ears because I’m about to just try to get rid of the blasted thing.

Trooper

Reaction score
Well, I haven't hit anything, my 2019 CTD has always pulled to the right slightly. I also have uneven tire wear, the out edges are wearing fast!.
It has been aligned twice and always well within spec. I have a good tire shop and am planning on getting them to align it out of spec to fix it.
Annoying and I would never waste my time at the dealer, those guys are just monkeys that follow instruction and no ability to think how to actually solve a problem, I know we have all been there :)

Tackett

Reaction score
Well, I haven't hit anything, my 2019 CTD has always pulled to the right slightly. I also have uneven tire wear, the out edges are wearing fast!.
It has been aligned twice and always well within spec. I have a good tire shop and am planning on getting them to align it out of spec to fix it.
Annoying and I would never waste my time at the dealer, those guys are just monkeys that follow instruction and no ability to think how to actually solve a problem, I know we have all been there :)

well that’s encouraging, I guess I’m just going to take it for a Nissan or something. It’s a shame all these new trucks are garbage.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
It's difficult to guess what work was performed or is needed. You might check to see if anyone has road force balanced the tire(s). Outside of that, just because it is a dealership does not mean they are actually competent at performing the repairs.

I had a 2015 F150, first of the aluminum body, and hit a deer less than 48 hours after picking it up from the dealership. There was not a dealer in the state certified to perform the repairs. Insurance company recommended an I-CAR facility. Spent about 30 minutes there and looked at the estimate. Knew they could not do the work and they did confirm they would have to use three other businesses to do the work. Insurance company was not thrilled but the truck went to another state where they were qualified and the repair work carried a lifetime warranty.

Tackett

Reaction score
It's difficult to guess what work was performed or is needed. You might check to see if anyone has road force balanced the tire(s). Outside of that, just because it is a dealership does not mean they are actually competent at performing the repairs.

I had a 2015 F150, first of the aluminum body, and hit a deer less than 48 hours after picking it up from the dealership. There was not a dealer in the state certified to perform the repairs. Insurance company recommended an I-CAR facility. Spent about 30 minutes there and looked at the estimate. Knew they could not do the work and they did confirm they would have to use three other businesses to do the work. Insurance company was not thrilled but the truck went to another state where they were qualified and the repair work carried a lifetime warranty.

So...what do you recommend in my case? How do I find a shop that’s competent? How did you find the one you took yours too?

Trooper

Reaction score
So...what do you recommend in my case? How do I find a shop that’s competent? How did you find the one you took yours too?
Hard to say how to find a good shop near you. I have spent time and money on many different vehicles modifying for all sorts of reasons. I have built up a strong network in my area of SoCal for people I trust on my vehicle. To me it is personal preference and goals. I don't trust dealers or manufactures specs, and in the case of this truck I am not looking to enhance performance as it was bout for the reason it was built, but I will find a way to make it perform that way.

First option to fInd a good place is look away from large chains, then skid a place with good rating and challenge them on the issue and solutions.. I always tell them I am not paying until solved and I don't care on what they says dealer spec. Typically you get this with smaller shops and along with that is more knowledge

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
You might start with verifying whether or not any of the shops used, or even have, road force balancing. Good Year installed new tires on one of my trucks last year. Tires were spin balanced within spec. At 65 mph there was enough vibration the exterior mirrors were blurry. Previously they would run 100 mph without issue.

Provided the tires and wheels balance correctly, you likely need someone who understands suspensions.

rmktim

Reaction score
a vibration is very seldom caused by an align issue. its a balance issue. if felt in bum its rear, if in wheel its front
check for bent parts etc for steering issue. did deer hit on wheel, wheel bent???? start simple. do a 4 wheel align, align the back to the front. rear out causes front issues. but only check front and it seems fine.
my two cents

Iowa Wagon

Reaction score
A slight right pull is a common problem with Ram HD trucks…

Have you tried rotating the wheels/tires front to back?

Michael T.

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Ben. I have a 2018 power wagon with about 57k miles, bought 18 months ago that I loathe. I’m reaching out here really, because I have no other option. I don’t know what else to do. Allow me to tell you a story of a cursed vehicle.

I bought my power wagon used with about 12k miles on the clock. I was in love, it was amazing. Then, two days later on the drive to work at 530, POW! I glance a deer. It hit the bumper on the right hand side with minimal damage. The vehicle had an obvious drift to the right and shaking but really no other damage. I turn it in on insurance and send it to the dealership who did nothing except replace the bumper despite my complaints, taking literally a month to do it. They informed me that the tires (oem Tires) were worn and that was the reason for the pulling and nothing else was wrong. I didn’t necessarily believe that explanation but I let it go and thought well maybe it will work out when I change the tires. FF a few months and the tires end up wearing horribly uneven with feathering on the driver side and a bald spot on the inside of the driver side. I take it to a local tire place who replace the tires and alight it and I drive off. Lo and behold the symptom is no different. The vehicle shakes at 55-60mph and drifts right. I return to the shop and tell them their alignment sucked and didnt Do anything. They take it back, tell me the alignment is in spec and can see nothing wrong. Basically they told me to go away. So I did and made an appointment at another ram dealership. After being at this dealership for about a week, the guy tells me that the alignment is in spec, there is def something wrong and he doesn’t know what. He gives me the keys, and says ah buh bye.

About 8-9 months later the brand new tires are ruined and because if this, I fishtail up my friends driveway in the rain and smack the rear quarter panel against his stone mailbox. Another insurance claim later just basically for cosmetic damage and, in passing I ask the body shop to take a look while they are replacing the bed to see if they can figure out the problem. 6 weeks later the body work is done and they tell me, whelp it ain’t right somethings not right but no one here can figure it out.

I order new tires again, take it to a new place this time an off-road specialty shop to install the tires and tell him about the problem. He seems confident he can fix it. He replaces the left wheel bearing, that don’t do it, so he keeps it longer trying different alignment specs. He finally calls me today says “hey I got it!” He aligned it to Thuren specs whatever that means, and it fixed it. I had someone else go pick it up since I had somewhere to be. 650.00 and 5 weeks later later I get it home get in and nope, the same exact problem still exists and is no better.

so basically I’ve had this turd to:
2 dealerships
1 tire shop
1 body shop
1 off-road shop
no one can fix it and I’m starting to loose my mind. Why can no one seem to find the issue?
I’m going to call ram customer service tommorrow and see if they have any suggestions. I mean I barely glanced a deer and it created this problem and I work with a guy who nearly totaled his Audi and took 24k to put it back together and that thing drives straight. So what gives, one glancing deer strike and the vehicles just screwed?

thanks for listening to my rant, if anyone has any advise I’m all ears because I’m about to just try to get rid of the blasted thing.
Hey man ,I own 2 body shops and 1 mechanic shop ,I sell tires to. If I was trying to diagnose your problem I would take a look at your rotors,and the wheel itself. As a rule you can identify a a vibration by driving into and out of a vibration. For example if the vibration occurs at 55mph and disapears at 65mph almost always a tire issue . a constant vibration more than likely a warped rotor. Something else to consider is when your shocks are worn out and you apply the brake the weight transfers to the tire ,If the shock doesn't absorb the weight transfer the tire will . mooshing the tire ,essentially breaking the belt or bending it ,distorting the tire 'cupping it . It will happen quickly if you have cheap tires . I recomend you replace your shocks at 70k,at 60k if you drive aggresively. Has anyone checked to see if the wheel is bent ?Has any one moved the tires from front to back to see if the vibration moves to the rear of the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread