Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steps (coating wear)

Crashresq21

Reaction score
Hey guys. Anyone else notice some of the matte black coating wearing off at the point of entry/step? My 2020 3500's are pretty much showing bear metal and hate being nitpicky but you'd figure a $68k truck wouldnt have that issue. For the sake of being honest I'm 6'3" 350# with 15EEE hooves but I doubt that would affect the coating.......or would it?

Photo forthcoming of the wear.

cms1528

Reaction score
I had AMP power steps for about five years with zero wear. I have a set of factory power steps for about now, again with no peeling or ware. I assume your warranty is expired now, If this were me I would reach out to RAM customer service and explain to them your problem and they may replace that board, I know not likely but it can't hurt to try. You might look into dropping by a dealer and asking them about it to. I did this with my 9 year old Challenger with a cracked rocker panel cover and the dealer just replaced it for free because he had a set laying around. You may eventually have to find someone that can powder coat it for a reasonable price.

Crashresq21

Reaction score
I had AMP power steps for about five years with zero wear. I have a set of factory power steps for about now, again with no peeling or ware. I assume your warranty is expired now, If this were me I would reach out to RAM customer service and explain to them your problem and they may replace that board, I know not likely but it can't hurt to try. You might look into dropping by a dealer and asking them about it to. I did this with my 9 year old Challenger with a cracked rocker panel cover and the dealer just replaced it for free because he had a set laying around. You may eventually have to find someone that can powder coat it for a reasonable price.
That's pretty much the plan. Warranty hasn't expired yet so we're pretty good there but I know how much a pain in the ass it can be to make the call on warranty or no warranty claim. Honestly there's so much clearance I would probably think a bed liner material might work.

Florotory

Reaction score
I noticed my AMP steps had some wear the other day I need to see what the warranty is on them as well

ClawSS

Reaction score
I had Amps on my 2015 1500....I assume due to the boots I wear and the fact that I step up with my left leg (like getting on a horse) and twisting on the ball of my foot, that I wore off the black on the top of the ridges of the step in just that area.

I figured if the factory steps get that way (likely AFTER warranty), that I'll just Line-X 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread