Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Post Payload Sticker from Driver's Door Jamb.

desertskier

Reaction score
2022 3500 LARAMIE SRW SO SB 4x4 Sunroof, 5th wheel prep, Rear Air

IMG_1597.jpeg

Last edited:

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Maybe bit of a different scenerio, but i own a welding business and have struggled for years payload wise using the welding rig to haul our camper or 40ft gooseneck with our drw 3500s always having to unload the welder/bottles/some tools so i wasnt over. i really debated hard and did a ton of research last spring about trying to make a 2500 or 3500 srw work for my daily driver and to pull our 38ft montana and 20ft boat combo just couldnt make the numbers work unless i wanted a reg cab short box 3500 lol. Actually to be honest the payload numbers a 2500 diesel come with these days with a well appointed interior arent drastically better than a half ton. I was shocked my with my uncles 18 limited mega cab, it was like 1750lbs which is nothing.

Anyway! In june i decided enough is enough, tired of calculating pin numbers and loading trailers just so, scared to go past scales etc so wife and i decided to just get a truck thatll do the job right. So in june i put in an order for a laramie 5500 that will be my daily driver/camper puller and welding rig. For those who are interested payload on a 22 laramie lvl 1 5500 60” C/A 4x4 is 10,781 lbs thatll get knocked down to roughly 6500lbs remaining payload once the fully outfitted welding bed is on there. So even when i hook up the camper or gooseneck theres definatly a good buffer but its not extreme!

If i had a dollar for everytime i saw an overloaded 3/4 ton at the lake id be a rich man! There is an extreme lack of knowledge by “some” when it comes to payload. Ill sometimes ask these guys that pull in with a 40ft montana and a 3/4 ton limited, knowing full well it has an absolute min pin weight lf 3800lbs how their 3/4 ton handles it. And all theyll say is… oh its got the big cummins diesel i dont even know its there. Generally i joke and say ill bet your rear axle does though, and ill politely show them their door jamb sticker. GENERALLY this relates back to lack of knowledge by dealers! As they also have no idea. Because most of these poor guys go in and tell them i need a truck to pull a big fifth wheel and they sell them a 3/4 ton. Its sad actually. Proper licencing to pull these campers is another story! In canada anyway, if you exceed posted numbers on your truck, or have incorrect licencing to pull the weight you have no insurance.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Maybe bit of a different scenerio, but i own a welding business and have struggled for years payload wise using the welding rig to haul our camper or 40ft gooseneck with our drw 3500s always having to unload the welder/bottles/some tools so i wasnt over. i really debated hard and did a ton of research last spring about trying to make a 2500 or 3500 srw work for my daily driver and to pull our 38ft montana and 20ft boat combo just couldnt make the numbers work unless i wanted a reg cab short box 3500 lol. Actually to be honest the payload numbers a 2500 diesel come with these days with a well appointed interior arent drastically better than a half ton. I was shocked my with my uncles 18 limited mega cab, it was like 1750lbs which is nothing.

Anyway! In june i decided enough is enough, tired of calculating pin numbers and loading trailers just so, scared to go past scales etc so wife and i decided to just get a truck thatll do the job right. So in june i put in an order for a laramie 5500 that will be my daily driver/camper puller and welding rig. For those who are interested payload on a 22 laramie lvl 1 5500 60” C/A 4x4 is 10,781 lbs thatll get knocked down to roughly 6500lbs remaining payload once the fully outfitted welding bed is on there. So even when i hook up the camper or gooseneck theres definatly a good buffer but its not extreme!

If i had a dollar for everytime i saw an overloaded 3/4 ton at the lake id be a rich man! There is an extreme lack of knowledge by “some” when it comes to payload. Ill sometimes ask these guys that pull in with a 40ft montana and a 3/4 ton limited, knowing full well it has an absolute min pin weight lf 3800lbs how their 3/4 ton handles it. And all theyll say is… oh its got the big cummins diesel i dont even know its there. Generally i joke and say ill bet your rear axle does though, and ill politely show them their door jamb sticker. GENERALLY this relates back to lack of knowledge by dealers! As they also have no idea. Because most of these poor guys go in and tell them i need a truck to pull a big fifth wheel and they sell them a 3/4 ton. Its sad actually. Proper licencing to pull these campers is another story! In canada anyway, if you exceed posted numbers on your truck, or have incorrect licencing to pull the weight you have no insurance.
Payload numbers are a joke as axle weights and tire ratings are more important…. Also AAM rates the 11.5 they put in the 2500-3500 SO cummins at 10,900lbs max capacity so rams 6/7k is laughable… so they are not going to brake anything. Also insurance can not deny you for being over weight and RVs are exempt for most licensing laws unless you are commercial i am in Canada too…

Last edited:

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Payload numbers are a joke as axle weights and tire ratings are more important…. Also AAM rates the 11.5 they put in the 2500-3500 SO cummins at 10,900lbs max capacity so rams 6/7k is laughable… so they are not going to brake anything. Also insurance can not deny you for being over weight and RVs are exempt for most licensing laws unless you are commercial i am in Canada too…
Yea i totally agree with ram mislabeling the payload stickers, there's more math involved there. , iam just going based on what DOT has told me as well as mpi. Iam commercial so rules may be a tad different due to my stupid Plates. But this particular rule applies to anyone at least in Manitoba but i would assume Canada as well, if your pulling a trailer that's at or above 10,000lbs you require min a class 3 without air. you'll get a combination license during your test as you'll be pulling a trailer. RVs are defiantly in a weird world, my 16,000LB GVWR Montana doesn't require an annual safety, but my 24,000LB gooseneck does. But rule still applies for licensing, it'll be the first question MPI will ask you when insuring a new fifth wheel over 10,000lbs, OR an equipment trailer, they will immediately flag you if you don't have a class 3 and warn you that you aren't able to (legally) pull it. Iam not sure where your getting your information from, and this MAY just be a Manitoba thing but if your even a pound over what your truck is rated to pull, or over its RAWR you 100% do not have insurance if you're in an accident. Actually in the past 3 years RCMP have been seriously cracking down on licensing and correct trucks for application for RVer's here anyway, Check stops at campground entrances, weigh scales, and they WILL pull out a mobile scale and weigh you on the spot and if your over, they will take your rig off the road. posting pamphlets, radio commercials, MPI TV commercials telling you to check for correct licencing and truck capabilities. Has to be due to the severe lack of knowledge about it, and must just be more accidents happening. Not trying to say iam right, just going based on what iam seeing over last few yrs

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea i totally agree with ram mislabeling the payload stickers, there's more math involved there. , iam just going based on what DOT has told me as well as mpi. Iam commercial so rules may be a tad different due to my stupid Plates. But this particular rule applies to anyone at least in Manitoba but i would assume Canada as well, if your pulling a trailer that's at or above 10,000lbs you require min a class 3 without air. you'll get a combination license during your test as you'll be pulling a trailer. RVs are defiantly in a weird world, my 16,000LB GVWR Montana doesn't require an annual safety, but my 24,000LB gooseneck does. But rule still applies for licensing, it'll be the first question MPI will ask you when insuring a new fifth wheel over 10,000lbs, OR an equipment trailer, they will immediately flag you if you don't have a class 3 and warn you that you aren't able to (legally) pull it. Iam not sure where your getting your information from, and this MAY just be a Manitoba thing but if your even a pound over what your truck is rated to pull, or over its RAWR you 100% do not have insurance if you're in an accident. Actually in the past 3 years RCMP have been seriously cracking down on licensing and correct trucks for application for RVer's here anyway, Check stops at campground entrances, weigh scales, and they WILL pull out a mobile scale and weigh you on the spot and if your over, they will take your rig off the road. posting pamphlets, radio commercials, MPI TV commercials telling you to check for correct licencing and truck capabilities. Has to be due to the severe lack of knowledge about it, and must just be more accidents happening. Not trying to say iam right, just going based on what iam seeing over last few yrs

Yea Manitoba is the only one with those laws but your insurance can not legally deny a claim that is a federal law

One of the best parts of going through manitoba is they usually leave everyone else alone because with an out of province plate their regs do not apply…

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Yea Manitoba is the only one with those laws but your insurance can not legally deny a claim that is a federal law

One of the best parts of going through manitoba is they usually leave everyone else alone because with an out of province plate their regs do not apply…
Good to know! Seems were a bit strict over here lol

unclelala

Reaction score
2022 3500 SRW Limited long bed
I have a Limited long bed as well but my PL is only 3572 . I have the bigger tank, the mopar hitch, and the cummins 6.7 HO....Do you have any of these option...if not I can see why I have more than 300 lbs. of payload less than you.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Limited long bed as well but my PL is only 3572 . I have the bigger tank, the mopar hitch, and the cummins 6.7 HO....Do you have any of these option...if not I can see why I have less than 300 lbs. of payload than you.

What does that Curt hitch weigh?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t count the puck system, that’s part of the truck.

That’s a heavy truck you gave. I don’t have a limited but my SRW has a 3850 payload.

3500 HO CC LB Night Laramie
50 gallon tank
Auto - Level
5th wheel prep
Dual alternators
Protection group
Aux switces
Cab lights
Bed utility group

I don’t have OEM running boards thou, as the ones I wanted couldn’t be ordered at the time.

My 18 had a 4094 payload as a very similar Laramie, but didn’t have dual alternators, the 50 gallon tank, bed liner, or cab lights from the factory. Plus the 4th vs 4.5 Gen differences.

Not that the payload sticker means anything most places, but it’s kinda fun to look at the differences.

unclelala

Reaction score
Don’t count the puck system, that’s part of the truck.
Not the puck system but the connecting feet and the assembly connection that hooks up to the hitch which is quite beefy.

I have these option out of the ones you listed
50 gallon tank
5th wheel prep
Dual alternators
Protection group
Bed utility group
but Limited vs. Laramie

Last edited:

leroyg

Reaction score
I have a Limited long bed as well but my PL is only 3572 . I have the bigger tank, the mopar hitch, and the cummins 6.7 HO....Do you have any of these option...if not I can see why I have more than 300 lbs. of payload less than you.
I do not have the High Output, I do have the 50 gal tank, it did not come with the hitch as I added an anderson fifth wheel hitch after wards.
I wonder if the High Output is the difference?

unclelala

Reaction score
I do not have the High Output, I do have the 50 gal tank, it did not come with the hitch as I added an anderson fifth wheel hitch after wards.
I wonder if the High Output is the difference?
Just did some googling and the cummins SO and HO weight the same, actually it lists the SO as 1 pound heavier.
It did say though that the Aisin is at least 150 pounds heavier than the Ram tranny. So if you have the SO with the Ram tranny that would account for 150 pounds of the difference.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My cclb SRW HO limited is 3700 without a hitch. All other options except sunroof and VSIM.

Users who are viewing this thread