Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE don't use your trailer ball hitch for recovery! (fatality involved)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of you know this, some apparently still (wrongly) disagree.

Don't take chance if you value your or other's lives.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Better off to just put a strap in the reciever with the pin through it. I have seen hitches fail its not a good thing most hitches people use are not rated at the vehicle weight even

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Better off to just put a strap in the reciever with the pin through it. I have seen hitches fail its not a good thing most hitches people use are not rated at the vehicle weight even

Better but the pin could bend with a high center load. Any factory Class III/IV/V hitch is as strong as the frame.

In this case, there was no kinetic rope or slow pull winch used so the failure was sudden and catastrophic.

I am by no means a recovery expert, but common sense and avoiding at least this one common mistake go a long way to ensuring your survival.

I carry or have already installed one of these and tools to remove my hitch anti-rattle clamp.

1659904836566.png

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Better but the pin could bend with a high center load. Any factory Class III/IV/V hitch is as strong as the frame.

In this case, there was no kinetic rope or slow pull winch used so the failure was sudden and catastrophic.

I am by no means a recovery expert, but common sense and avoiding at least this one common mistake go a long way to ensuring your survival.

I carry or have already installed one of these and tools to remove my hitch anti-rattle clamp.

View attachment 42347
I have a bent pin i use for just that its stainless. I have 2 chunks of 2x2 square stock i have been meaning to machine a couple of those clevis blocks to keep in the truck and my SXS as thry are great to use i sold my last one with my jeep. Very safe no welds to break and i can also use my snach block on them if i have to get winched out by other people (more the sxs for that).

I refuse to recover anyone using a hitch, its not worth the risk the same reason i run synthetic line on my winches (or atleast have a leather blanket for over the steel cable in my trailer winch case). No ones life is worth cutting short to save a few mins setting up for a recovery!

jetrinka

Reaction score
I've got one of those Curt shackle thingies. It works great - highly recommend. Easy to remove the shackle, attach the strap, reinstall shackle and pull whatever out. Recently used it to remove an Audi from a grassy slope leading into a ditch. Summer tires and he was just spinning in the grassy mud :D

I agree with the OP. Use the correct tool for the job.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got one of those Curt shackle thingies. It works great - highly recommend. Easy to remove the shackle, attach the strap, reinstall shackle and pull whatever out. Recently used it to remove an Audi from a grassy slope leading into a ditch. Summer tires and he was just spinning in the grassy mud :D

I agree with the OP. Use the correct tool for the job.

You can easily just add a soft shackle too.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I have D rings for the front recovery points.

Is the ring where you place the safety chains on the hitch sturdy enough to secure a D Ring and strap to?

jetrinka

Reaction score

Is the ring where you place the safety chains on the hitch sturdy enough to secure a D Ring and strap to?
I wouldn’t think so. I’ve used them that way for pulling dead cars around a flat parking lot in neutral but never for an actual recovery type deal.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Each hole would be only enough to support half the rated weight of a trailer that comes off the ball. The hitches are rated to what 10K?

Besides, the largest D-ring you could fit isn't likely to have enough rating for the pull.

Just guessing. Like I said, not a recovery expert but you have to consider the weakest link, it's just common sense in that regard.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The bumper hitch is rated to 21k but i would not trust those holes in a recovery tug the thin 1/4” is not gonna handle the shock much, if it was a straight pull like winching sure but other than that no. You can easily put a 5T WLL d ring in the holes though to cover you for the 20k

UglyViking

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more on not using the trailer ball for recovery. Personally, I've switched everything over to soft shackles as they weigh less, and are less dangerous overall.

https://factor55.com/product/hitchlink-2-5/ is what I use for my hitch. I keep it with the rest of my recovery/tow gear. Takes about 5 seconds to pop in, I toss a soft shackle through it and then attach a kinetic rope or tow strap and do my thing. If one of the soft shackles fails then the line will basically go limp fast so there is really no concern. Plus, some of the newer stuff is really light weight and small, so it's easy to store.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I agree that a sticky would be helpful for those not in the know. Additionally, it would be great to have a list of "what to use instead", which I'm sure myself or one of the other guys could put together to help those who want to be prepared to pull out a vehicle but wouldn't know what stuff is necessary.

Along with that, having the gear is only half the battle, so perhaps a link or two to a website or youtube.

Wobly

Reaction score
https://i4wdta.org/ is a great resource to find training in your area. The video I posted above has a basic primer on what should be used to minimize the chances of injury or death. Justin in the video is also a Power Wagon owner. The Safe-Xtract app is available for Apple and Android. https://www.safe-xtract.com/safe-xtract-vehicle-recovery-application/ This app will let you input parameters and tell you what you should be using or the best method to extract a stuck vehicle.

762fmj

Reaction score
I've been on both sides of recoveries. Some good, some bad. I've seen a broken d ring go through a F350 tailgate like butter. Luckily no one was hurt! Winch and snatch safety can never be reinforced too much.

Redfour5

Reaction score
But its kind of fun to watch it rip off the back of the truck, go through the windshield of the towed vehicle damaging both substantially... Don't you think? Edit, sorry, I did not realize there was a fatality in the situation noted.

jebruns

Reaction score
I was an eye witness to one of this type of redneck offroad recovery disaster. The hitch didn't fail though. They had 2 tow straps linked by a length of chain. The chain snapped, collapsed the tailgate into the bed of the towing truck, went through the back window, through the windshield and traveled another 50 yards or so through some brush to leave a chain impression on the tailgate of my truck. By some dumb luck, the passenger in the towing vehicle had just jumped out to socialize before it happened. He'd have been dead otherwise.

Needless detail, but I still see it so clearly, even 40 years later. The guy that was stuck was in a creek, sideways to the trail. He was in a Ramcharger. Guy pulling him out had a stick shift Chevy 3/4ton. So he was pulling him sideways. Puller would back up toward the creek a ways, rev it up and drop the clutch in 2nd and 4wd. Dirt and gravel flying. He'd hit the end of the tether with much drama, but very little impact on the stuck truck. Did it over and over again, even after the chain broke. Was quite a show. Finally did get him out, but all 4 tires were flat. Good life lesson on how not do things!

Users who are viewing this thread