Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please don't subject your engine to a K&N Air Filter

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
I only put Fleetguard filters on my CTD's. Learned awhile back how dirty the K&N Filters are when I pulled the intake on our 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T. After cleaning it up I installed a OEM Filter. Lesson learned.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
K&N in the 70s, 80s and even early 90s provided relief from restrictive intakes. With the larger intakes and much better stock filters of today, they are outdated and no longer needed.

I see to many folks on Harley's with these mesh filters having to stop when it rains too hard because it sucks in the rain.

Bluecoral

Reaction score
K&N in the 70s, 80s and even early 90s provided relief from restrictive intakes. With the larger intakes and much better stock filters of today, they are outdated and no longer needed.

I see to many folks on Harley's with these mesh filters having to stop when it rains too hard because it sucks in the rain.
Completely agree. Before buying a K&N filter take a hard look at the stock filter (2019 and up). It's huge for a 6.7l diesel engine! I'm a mechanical engineer, spent most of my time working in HVAC with massive filtration systems. I can tell you without a doubt the stock air filter in the Cummins is well thought out and not a hinderance to performance.

FFF

Reaction score
I had k&n’s in a few of my vehicles through the mid 2000’s. My dad always ran them, therefore I did. Never gave it much thought. By 2010 the only vehicle I still had with one was my old CUCV. Never saw more than maybe 2-3k miles/year. I’d clean and oil it every year or so and that was that. Saw the project farm video on the filters and immediately went to oreallys, bought a wix, and threw that K&n in the dumpster where it belongs. To be fair a few of the cars I ran over 200k miles with the k&n in without issue. But with those test results, definitely not worth a chance.

sanda

Reaction score
Don't ever use compressed air on an air filter. Even low pressure can create pin holes in the filter. What really kills me is all the people that have their oil changed. The tech comes into the waiting room and shows the customer a little dis-coloration on the filter and says it must be replaced. I taught my wife to turn the filter over and tap it to see if any dust particles came out. it's an easy up sell for the business.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Don't ever use compressed air on an air filter. Even low pressure can create pin holes in the filter. What really kills me is all the people that have their oil changed. The tech comes into the waiting room and shows the customer a little dis-coloration on the filter and says it must be replaced. I taught my wife to turn the filter over and tap it to see if any dust particles came out. it's an easy up sell for the business.
So a filter that can flow up to 600cfm can’t take a little air being blown on it?

sanda

Reaction score
So a filter that can flow up to 600cfm can’t take a little air being blown on it?
You can dis-lodge small particles blowing back through the filter creating pin holes. I had a boss in construction who had a new dump truck. He was too cheap to buy new air filters because we were in the dirt all the time. Blew the engine up and the mechanic showed us what had happened with the air filter. Just something to consider.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
High Volume != High Pressure

I could definitely see how someone blowing 80psi at an air filter could cause damage. Same premise as a garden hose vs pressure washer.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You can dis-lodge small particles blowing back through the filter creating pin holes. I had a boss in construction who had a new dump truck. He was too cheap to buy new air filters because we were in the dirt all the time. Blew the engine up and the mechanic showed us what had happened with the air filter. Just something to consider.
Blew the motor up, huh? A “mechanic” showed my wife why she needed a new cabin air filter, too.

Shorty

Reaction score
I live 1/2 mile up a dirt road. I checked the K&N after a few months on my 1993 Ram Cummings and there was silt past the filter. Called K&N and the rep said the dirtier it is, the better it works. I laughed all the way to the trash can with it.
Bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel with 9k miles. Went to check things out and the last owner put a K&N in it. Same issue, silt in the intake tract past the filter.
Tossed that POS out too!

Users who are viewing this thread