Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning for Power Wagon to replace my Jeep and tow a travel trailer

redwinelvr

Reaction score
I am really hoping to replace my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with a fully loaded Power Wagon this summer. I am eyeing a travel trailer with 6800 UVW and assume it would hold about 750 lbs of additional weight, so lets just say 8000lbs GVW and 800lbs of tongue weight to be safe. Since it is just the wife, dog and myself, I think we should be plenty fine towing the travel trailer with 500lbs in the bed? I am new to towing and know the Power Wagon is limited for towing compared to the rest of the 2500 line, but this seems like a very doable scenario. Please feel free to slap me upside the head if I'm missing the obvious.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Fully loaded Powerwagon is going to have about 1330ish pounds of payload...less than most 1500s.

The truck will have no issue towing the trailer, it just might have some excess droop.

1330 minus 800 tongue weight...leaves you with 530ish pounds for you passengers and cargo.

Good luck ordering truck and trailer...anxious to hear what you end up with.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I almost forgot this tidbit of info from the TFL video...1100 lbs payload on the Powerwagon they tested.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I am really hoping to replace my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with a fully loaded Power Wagon this summer. I am eyeing a travel trailer with 6800 UVW and assume it would hold about 750 lbs of additional weight, so lets just say 8000lbs GVW and 800lbs of tongue weight to be safe. Since it is just the wife, dog and myself, I think we should be plenty fine towing the travel trailer with 500lbs in the bed? I am new to towing and know the Power Wagon is limited for towing compared to the rest of the 2500 line, but this seems like a very doable scenario. Please feel free to slap me upside the head if I'm missing the obvious.

Are you doing a 5th wheel or gooseneck? That's pretty heavy for a bumper pull TT. I have a 30' TT bumper pull that is about 3000 UVW. And 750 lbs additional is very conservative... When you add propane tanks, odds and ends, water and waste, etc. That will add up past 750 lbs very easily.

Hopefully you figured all that out.

jpaeth

Reaction score
Are you doing a 5th wheel or gooseneck? That's pretty heavy for a bumper pull TT. I have a 30' TT bumper pull that is about 3000 UVW. And 750 lbs additional is very conservative... When you add propane tanks, odds and ends, water and waste, etc. That will add up past 750 lbs very easily.

Hopefully you figured all that out.
Are you sure thats 3000lbs UVW? That seems like it might be Kg. That would be an incredibly light 30' TT. My 30' Half ton series TT was over 6k lbs unloaded and my 27' Toy hauler is in the same ballpark. 3000lbs is pop up territory.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
Good catch! Typo on my end. 6K is what it actually is ( Which is why I want shocked to see there's bumper pulls out there with almost double that weight).

redwinelvr

Reaction score
I tried to order my PowerWagon yesterday but was told I could not have the safety group and the tow technology group at the same time. I realize there is serious overlap, so likely i just want the safety group and a few things like the cargo camera, reverse guidance, and surround camera..added separately. Is there a way to do that? The online configurator let's you do both, but my Dennis Dillon Sales rep says he can't order them together.

Last edited:

bobohio

Reaction score
I tried to order my PowerWagon yesterday but was told I could not have the safety group and the tow technology group at the same time. I realize there is serious overlap, so likely i just want the safety group and a few things like the cargo camera, reverse guidance, and surround camera..added separately. Is there a way to do that? The online configurator let's you do both, but my Dennis Dillon Sales rep says he can't order them together.
Well, I didn't order a power wagon, but I ordered a 3500 and I was able to order both safety and tow tech groups together

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I tried to order my PowerWagon yesterday but was told I could not have the safety group and the tow technology group at the same time. ...my Dennis Dillon Sales rep says he can't order them together.
What do you mean when you say "Safety Group"? Are you referring to the "Protection Group"? If so, the only item in the Protection Group is a transfer case skid plate shield.

I had the same issue last week with a dealer who couldn't order a Protection Group and Towing Tech Group together on a 3500. However, when a new allocation period opened up today, voila!, they both could be ordered.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say "Safety Group"? Are you referring to the "Protection Group"? If so, the only item in the Protection Group is a transfer case skid plate shield.

I had the same issue last week with a dealer who couldn't order a Protection Group and Towing Tech Group together on a 3500. However, when a new allocation period opened up today, voila!, they both could be ordered.

The Safety group is an adder that has:

Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop

Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection (Truck only)

Full-Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus

rdz418

Reaction score
I was able to order both, when I ordered my Power Wagon last month. In fact I was not going to order the Tow Tech group originally, but when my salesman configured my order, it was required. My PW has everything except sunroof.

redwinelvr

Reaction score
Do you by chance have your VIN or window sticker info yet? Trying to find something to motivate the sales guy to figure out what is wrong.

rdz418

Reaction score
Do you by chance have your VIN or window sticker info yet? Trying to find something to motivate the sales guy to figure out what is wrong.

I will call my salesman and have him email me the VIN. I'll post as soon as I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread