Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pay load question

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My parents are starting to shop for truck campers right now and I was shocked to see how heavy they are. Like most 3500s cant handle some of the larger ones and you need a C&C 4500+ to properly handle them.
They are nuts

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I think the A/C, generator, and a few other things were options on those, so probably not counted in the listed dry weight. I don't know what the options weight, but does yours have those?
Yes, and that is what I have surmised as well. It's also why we bought it, too. I'm thinking the generator is 80 - 100 lbs and would be the first thing I'd remove to lighten things up a bit if I have to. Or sell it and scale down to a lighter unit. I guess I just didn't fully understand Lance's dry weight vs equipped terminology. I doubt they factor in 2 full LPG tanks as well. Funny thing is, I was leaning towards the DRW Ram but my wife said she doesn't like how they look. Damn it, I could have overruled her veto, too!

tchur1

Reaction score
Yes, and that is what I have surmised as well. It's also why we bought it, too. I'm thinking the generator is 80 - 100 lbs and would be the first thing I'd remove to lighten things up a bit if I have to. Or sell it and scale down to a lighter unit. I guess I just didn't fully understand Lance's dry weight vs equipped terminology. I doubt they factor in 2 full LPG tanks as well. Funny thing is, I was leaning towards the DRW Ram but my wife said she doesn't like how they look. Damn it, I could have overruled her veto, too!
My families first camper was a 2006 Arctic Fox 860, weighed about 3k dry IIRC. We were planning to get a dually but my mom didnt like them and didnt think it was necessary so we bought a chevy srw. Worst decision we could have possibly made and she regretted it every time we loaded that camper onto that truck.

tchur1

Reaction score
Yep, @tchur1, sometimes we gotta fight that battle! I bet hauling that thing was like steering the S.S. Minnow in rough seas!
Ya it was bad, I was only like 14 at the time so I wasn't dealing with it but even from the back seat was no fun haha.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My Laramie is 3677, I guess I got 30lbs more of something than your Limited. We bought a used cabover camper last year to go with this truck and it's dry weight was listed as 3100lbs in the brochure. Turns out it's 4020lbs dry with me in the cab which puts me over by 343 (and I weigh 200). With air bags the truck handles the load really well and there's plenty of power to get it moving down the road nicely, but with another passenger, the dog, and lightly outfitted I'm guessing I'll add close to another 500lbs which would put me over the payload by close to 850lbs and over the GVWR by almost 900lbs. I am comfortable with the load, but not comfortable at all with the liability. Caveat Emptor, I suppose.

Short bed?

My Limited is CCLB with air, everything except sunroof and VSIM.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Short bed?

My Limited is CCLB with air, everything except sunroof and VSIM.
Mine's pretty much the same as yours, although aftermarket airbags. Oh, and I do have the 50 gallon tank, that's likely the difference. And I wish I still had my 04.5 as well. Best truck I ever owned (although the 15 was pretty good too).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine's pretty much the same as yours, although aftermarket airbags. Oh, and I do have the 50 gallon tank, that's likely the difference. And I wish I still had my 04.5 as well. Best truck I ever owned (although the 15 was pretty good too).
From what I remember you don't have the 50 gallon tank ?

I have the 50 gal tank. HO Limited with EVERY option except sunroof and VSIM. 3707 payload on the door sticker.

Actually, I also don't have the backup alarm, that's probably it. :D

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot again... It's my Mopar hitch that messes with my shameful payload...:(

That's it. Factory hitch is accounted for in the stickered payload. :confused:

I have a Curt A25 so basically the same as the Mopar 30K used on the DRW, which IIRC is different than the 20K (Curt Q20) used on the SRW. The Q20 weighs less than the A25/A30. I believe the main hitch body is flat/bent welded steel and the 25/30K are cast.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's it. Factory hitch is accounted for in the stickered payload. :confused:

I have a Curt A25 so basically the same as the Mopar 30K used on the DRW, which IIRC is different than the 20K (Curt Q20) used on the SRW. The Q20 weighs less than the A25/A30. I believe the main hitch body is flat/bent welded steel and the 25/30K are cast.
What does the A25/30 weigh?

Vamps83

Reaction score
If you want to order a new one then you can use the online configuration tool. It is a bit difficult to find it after you have configured it but it does tell you payload as configured. Once you figure it out it's easy. I've done it several times recently for the exact same reason and that's what another person posted a screenshot of earlier as well. I ended up finding a good deal on an almost new decked out 2500 crew cab laramie 6.5' bed with 2870 lbs of payload which was plenty for me. I also plan on getting a 5th wheel and also pulling gooseneck trailers but nothing so big that I'd need a 3500. There are a number of things that affect payload... longer beds increase, bigger cabs decrease, rebel trim destroys it, diesel knocks off ~900 lbs. That's the major ones that i recall. I realize you've ordered a 3500 but for the benefit of all those others with the same question. I leave my recent experience.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
If you want to order a new one then you can use the online configuration tool. It is a bit difficult to find it after you have configured it but it does tell you payload as configured. Once you figure it out it's easy. I've done it several times recently for the exact same reason and that's what another person posted a screenshot of earlier as well. I ended up finding a good deal on an almost new decked out 2500 crew cab laramie 6.5' bed with 2870 lbs of payload which was plenty for me. I also plan on getting a 5th wheel and also pulling gooseneck trailers but nothing so big that I'd need a 3500. There are a number of things that affect payload... longer beds increase, bigger cabs decrease, rebel trim destroys it, diesel knocks off ~900 lbs. That's the major ones that i recall. I realize you've ordered a 3500 but for the benefit of all those others with the same question. I leave my recent experience.
Good info. I would add to that to apply the same due diligence in an RV search. You gotta dig a little to get the whole picture.

Vamps83

Reaction score
Good info. I would add to that to apply the same due diligence in an RV search. You gotta dig a little to get the whole picture.
Absolutely, brochures are generally available online for most of the ones I've looked at and they typically provide dry hitch weight.
I also found a ram website that you can plug the VIN number for a truck into and it tells you the specific towing and payload capability. This may have been referenced earlier in this forum. https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html#/landing/bytowing
The nice thing about this is you can compare vehicles that are already built or ensure new or used vehicles on lots have the capability without even going to the lot.
Carfax is available through most dealerships and the original window sticker is typically saved in the carfax report with all add ons listed. VIN number in the bottom left corner and remove the "-" for the ram website.

Users who are viewing this thread