Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Option input needed

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Getting ready to order but trying to make some final decisions on a couple options. The truck will be a 3500 Big Horn, with Cummins and 68rfe. I know am going to get the following: Big Horn Level 1, Heated Seats and wheel, Tow Tech package, Snow Chief, 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep, Cold Weather Group, Bed Utility Group, Remote Start, and 115V Aux outlet.

Now for the undecided part, I am leaning heavily towards the Safety Group, as I think for the ~$900 to add it on, it is probably worth it. Lastly, I am undecided on the auto-leveling rear suspension. I have read a few different threads across the web that say it improves unloaded ride significantly, which really appeals to me as this will be my daily driver.

Any insight or guidance on the safety group and auto-leveling would be greatly appreciated. If you have the options, would you order them again? If they didn’t come as part of a package, would you order separately? If you don’t have them, do you wish you did?

Thanks All!!

D

Deleted member 80

I think the air susp is worthwhile, for the reason you stated, and I ordered it on mine. I am not a fan of autonomous features, and did not opt for it. Out of pure curiosity, if you are ordering a 3500, why not get the HO, if only to get the Aisin?

arwright

Reaction score
I also made the decision to get the airbags bc I heard the ride will be significantly smoother as it will be my daily driver. I have not received the truck yet so I can't advise how it's working. Hopefully in the next couple weeks...

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
@1HasBeen, Thanks for your input!
As far as the HO and Aisin, I just can't justify the extra cost. If towing was all I did, definitely, but I needed to cut costs and save some money somewhere.

@arwright, I look forward to hearing how you the rear air and the new truck when it arrives

jpaeth

Reaction score
I just got my 3500 with auto leveling and it rides pretty nice... and for towing it's a must have in my opinion. I will never buy a truck that doesn't have that feature. For the $900, get the safety group, you wont regret it.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
As bad as the 3500 rode during our test drive with the air bags, I couldn’t imagine how bad the ride would be without them.

jpaeth

Reaction score
As bad as the 3500 rode during our test drive with the air bags, I couldn’t imagine how bad the ride would be without them.
Bad compared to what? I mean, yeah, it's still a one ton truck and not a Cadillac.. and I'm also no connoisseur of driving heavy duty trucks.. but the ride in my truck seems good for what it is. It's hard to compare the one ton to the 3/4 ton in RAM because the 2500s ride buttery smooth on the coil link rear suspension.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
How good or bad the ride is, is completely subjective. I don't think my 2500 rides very good either, but it is a 2500, so I ignore it.

As to the air suspension questiion, I've not had air suspension on a HD, but I did on my Rebel. I towed heavy, for a Rebel, with it and really liked the air suspension. Not so much for the unloaded ride, but when set up correctly with a weight distributing hitch, it was a joy to drive when towing.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Bad compared to what? I mean, yeah, it's still a one ton truck and not a Cadillac.. and I'm also no connoisseur of driving heavy duty trucks.. but the ride in my truck seems good for what it is. It's hard to compare the one ton to the 3/4 ton in RAM because the 2500s ride buttery smooth on the coil link rear suspension.
Bad compared to nothing. It’s a 1-ton, so the ride is going to be worse than a 1500 and better than a 5500. The point I was trying to make is I wouldn’t forgo the air bags.

bobohio

Reaction score
Getting ready to order but trying to make some final decisions on a couple options. The truck will be a 3500 Big Horn, with Cummins and 68rfe. I know am going to get the following: Big Horn Level 1, Heated Seats and wheel, Tow Tech package, Snow Chief, 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep, Cold Weather Group, Bed Utility Group, Remote Start, and 115V Aux outlet.

Now for the undecided part, I am leaning heavily towards the Safety Group, as I think for the ~$900 to add it on, it is probably worth it. Lastly, I am undecided on the auto-leveling rear suspension. I have read a few different threads across the web that say it improves unloaded ride significantly, which really appeals to me as this will be my daily driver.

Any insight or guidance on the safety group and auto-leveling would be greatly appreciated. If you have the options, would you order them again? If they didn’t come as part of a package, would you order separately? If you don’t have them, do you wish you did?

Thanks All!!
This is my first truck with the safety group and I have to admit I love it!! The air suspension is pretty smooth as I use my 3500 as my daily driver...but I would opt for the HO

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input everyone! Sounds like both options are worth having. Just have to convince the wife now.

I am used to a 1 ton truck as a daily driver, I am currently dd-ing my 1996 Ford F350, granted it is a crew cab, long box, with 241k miles so the springs are "broken in" and the mile long wheel base make a difference. In all honesty as long as the new truck is a smoother ride than this old beast, I will be happy. I guess I forgot to mention, the new truck will be crew cab, short box.

Don-T

Reaction score
The biggest thing causing a bad ride when test driving a new truck is air pressure in the tires. They are always way overinflated. The trucks ride a lot better when the tires have the proper pressure for the load, or lack thereof.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
I will definitely check pressure in tires when I get the truck. I don't run max tire pressure in my current truck when towing our 9,900 lb 5th wheel, so I don't expect I will need to on the future truck

Don-T

Reaction score
I run 70 psi in the front and 55 in the rear when empty and light loaded. My last truck had the 6.4 engine so I ran with 65 in the front. It could probably be lower for all of them.

switz

Reaction score
I just got my 3500 with auto leveling and it rides pretty nice... and for towing it's a must have in my opinion. I will never buy a truck that doesn't have that feature. For the $900, get the safety group, you wont regret it.
Agreed. They work great on my truck.

labjr1

Reaction score
My 3500 rides good for a 3500 even though I do not have the auto-leveling suspension. I run the rears at 70 and the fronts at 60. When I got it from the dealership it was a 80 all the way around. It makes a huge difference in the ride quality. I only air up when I am towing heavy. I would rather have the HO with the Aisin than the air ride suspension.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Well, the truck is ordered. We went with the safety group, but decided to pass on the auto level rear suspension. After a lot of back and forth discussion with the wife, we thought that since this new truck is supposed to ride better than past trucks, it should be a better ride than my current Ford, even without the auto level, so we decided to skip it. And, not adding it will help to keep cost down. I will post the build in the "Tell us about your order" thread.

Zinga

Reaction score
Well, the truck is ordered. We went with the safety group, but decided to pass on the auto level rear suspension. After a lot of back and forth discussion with the wife, we thought that since this new truck is supposed to ride better than past trucks, it should be a better ride than my current Ford, even without the auto level, so we decided to skip it.
We did the exact same thing. My current truck is a Ford too. I'm keeping it so I have a truck to drive when the Ram breaks. LOL.

Actually, I've called around and have asked questions about the auto level suspension. I've even asked questions on line and there is no information other than "auto-level." So, we passed on it.

Don-T

Reaction score
I am on my third truck with the auto level. I have never had any trouble from one and I wouldn’t order a truck without it. That is the biggest reason I have a Ram truck.

Heckyl

Reaction score
Well, the truck is ordered. We went with the safety group, but decided to pass on the auto level rear suspension. After a lot of back and forth discussion with the wife, we thought that since this new truck is supposed to ride better than past trucks, it should be a better ride than my current Ford, even without the auto level, so we decided to skip it. And, not adding it will help to keep cost down. I will post the build in the "Tell us about your order" thread.

I have a 2019 3500 without air and it rides and drives great. So much better than all my other trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread