Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on best A/T Tire :)

Nado

Reaction score
As I am waiting on new wheels, time to start picking my new tire. Currently my truck is on 20" Toyo Open Country AT III. Not a bad tire at all. I am heading down to the realm of 17s again. So, was curious as to everyones take on their favorite A/T tire and why.

I am getting of lot of recommendations to the Wildpeaks. But, was curious what others thought of Toyo, Nitto, Mickey Baja Boss, etc, etc...

jadmt

Reaction score
what truck are they going on? I have run Falken at3w's, Toyo in AT2, T3, and RT's, Coopers in AT3 and st maxx on my Power Wagon I like the RT's. there are many great choices depending on what you are doing. All highway I would stick with the Toyo AT3 or Falken AT3w's. More offroad I really like the RT's. The MT baja looks really good too and made by Cooper.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I'll be going to Nitto Ridgegrappler soon. Good balance of aggressive look, off-road grip, on-road mileage, and towing from the first hand reports I've had told to me. Plus they make it in a 35x11.50 so I can fit them on my stock polished 20s.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I've been extremely happy with my Kanati Trail Hogs. I can't say yet that they are "the best" as I'll wait to rank them once I wear them out, but so far they've treated me very well.

However, in the last 5 years I've run a handful of tires and here's how they ranked for me:
General Grabber ATX - 36"
Falken Wildpeak - 37"
Pro Comp Xtreme M/T - 37"
Toyo Open Country R/T - 37" (before I had them siped, they'd have been further down the list)
Goodyear Duratrac - 35"
Nitto Terra Grappler - 35"

But where you live may come into play as well, since performance on snowpacked roads definitely influences my experiences.

Nado

Reaction score
what truck are they going on? I have run Falken at3w's, Toyo in AT2, T3, and RT's, Coopers in AT3 and st maxx on my Power Wagon I like the RT's. there are many great choices depending on what you are doing. All highway I would stick with the Toyo AT3 or Falken AT3w's. More offroad I really like the RT's. The MT baja looks really good too and made by Cooper.

2019 Ram 2500 CC Laramie gasser.

Nado

Reaction score
Thanks all. Im in central TN. We dont get much snow where at all. Mainly on road performance, with occasional light off-roading. No rock crawling :)

Nado

Reaction score
I've been extremely happy with my Kanati Trail Hogs. I can't say yet that they are "the best" as I'll wait to rank them once I wear them out, but so far they've treated me very well.

However, in the last 5 years I've run a handful of tires and here's how they ranked for me:
Falken Wildpeak - 37"
Toyo Open Country R/T - 37" (before I had them siped, they'd have been further down the list)
Goodyear Duratrac - 35"

But where you live may come into play as well, since performance on snowpacked roads definitely influences my experiences.

I have also heard good things about the Generals. How is the road noise with them?

Also, I see you have a Billet Silver as well....any pics of your setup?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I have also heard good things about the Generals. How is the road noise with them?

Also, I see you have a Billet Silver as well....any pics of your setup?
They had a slight hum to them. A little louder than the Falken's and Toyos, but quieter than the rest.

And yes, here's a couple of my current setup.

TrailHogs_quarter.jpgTrailHogs_Side.jpg

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I am running the Yoko AT-X hybrid tire this time around. I like them so far, but it has only been a couple of months. Yoko have always performed well for me though. FWIW - I just read a post on FB from somebody in the east that said they were the best tire he has run in snow. The Baja Boss look nice. Still waiting for some feedback from people that have run them on HD trucks.

PXL_20210311_001142274 - Copy sm.jpg

Nado

Reaction score
Ah yes, I remember your ride. I like those silver Racelines.

Nado

Reaction score
I am running the Yoko AT-X hybrid tire this time around. I like them so far, but it has only been a couple of months. Yoko have always performed well for me though. FWIW - I just read a post on FB from somebody in the east that said they were the best tire he has run in snow. The Baja Boss look nice. Still waiting for some feedback from people that have run them on HD trucks.

View attachment 15564

That is a good looking tire. I will take a peek at those. Aggressive sidewall, i imagine they are a bit louder than some other A/Ts.
Funny no one has mentioned the quintessential BFGs yet :)

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Continental TerrainContact AT's are an awesome tire. I have had them for just over a year and love them. Actually they were named best Truck AT tire by Consumer Reports in their December issue.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
That is a good looking tire. I will take a peek at those. Aggressive sidewall, i imagine they are a bit louder than some other A/Ts.
Funny no one has mentioned the quintessential BFGs yet :)
They growl a bit but are not overly loud.

Frank

Reaction score
I used to run Nitto Grapplers but they changed the rubber a while back and they just wore out too fast, especially towing. I knew several people with the same issue that switched to something else. I replaced with the same Toyos you have and liked them enough I swapped them for $100 set of used tires before I traded and have them in storage for when the stock tires wear out.

billwomacks

Reaction score
I just tried to buy a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws and was told they're on national backorder. Went with Toyos instead.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Nado

Reaction score

Falken Wildpeak - 37"
Goodyear Duratrac - 35"

How is the road noise on the Trail Hogs? These basically look like an R/T tire. Curious who they compare to others in your list as far as noise. I really like the $258 price point for 35s!

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
How is the road noise on the Trail Hogs? These basically look like an R/T tire. Curious who they compare to others in your list as far as noise. I really like the $258 price point for 35s!
In my opinion, they're about as loud as the Duratrac's were.

Users who are viewing this thread