Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fishnerd’s Build Thread

el_barto

Reaction score
Again...Great job! Do you just have an empty pin on some of those connectors (switch positions 1-4 that are only 1 wire)?
On my Switch-Pro i just have a bunch of loose wires, and those that are connected I just did spade connectors . I’d like to clean it up with proper connectors like this though!

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Again...Great job! Do you just have an empty pin on some of those connectors (switch positions 1-4 that are only 1 wire)?
On my Switch-Pro i just have a bunch of loose wires, and those that are connected I just did spade connectors . I’d like to clean it up with proper connectors like this though!

Thanks! No, each plug is individually grounded as well so that I dont have to utilize factory ground points for each accessory. Each plug will have either one or two signal wires and one or two ground wires (the plugs with two are for buttons 5-8 since you can either combine the signal for higher amperage or separate for individual current, I used the 4 pin connectors for those) The reason I went this route is I always create custom harnesses for all my accessories (lights, air, etc), just to keep it looking oem and I dont have excess wire lengths laying around the engine compartment. I also like to standardize my connectors to Deutsch (i.e. I changed the compressor connector and baja designs lights).

el_barto

Reaction score
Ah I see now on the harness you have a branch for all the grounds. I like that.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Not having to worry about trying to find a ground point makes wiring so much easier! Here is the harness I made for the squadron fogs. It goes from a 4pin plug to two 2pins triggered from button 7.
View attachment 19568
That’s a nice setup with the switch panel. Im
On the poverty tradesman status so My truck didn’t have fog lights and I chose to wire my squadrons up on a harness I made with a relay getting signal from the parking lights.
FD46E80C-2A3F-4DF3-88D9-E24E59FA3427.jpeg

el_barto

Reaction score
Very professional job.

Where do you buy your deutsch connectors/pins from? Any recommendation on crimp tool? The deutsch crimp tools I’ve seen are crazy expensive.
I have used weatherpack connectors before but they are big and clunky in comparison.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
That’s a nice setup with the switch panel. Im
On the poverty tradesman status so My truck didn’t have fog lights and I chose to wire my squadrons up on a harness I made with a relay getting signal from the parking lights.
I like it! Nice work, Im a big fan of clean wiring!

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Very professional job.

Where do you buy your deutsch connectors/pins from? Any recommendation on crimp tool? The deutsch crimp tools I’ve seen are crazy expensive.
I have used weatherpack connectors before but they are big and clunky in comparison.
I get them from either amazon or wirecare.com depending on how fast I need them or connector size I need. Amazon actually had a good crimper set made by IWISS its reasonably priced and gets the job done. The most important thing about the connectors is to get solid pins, they crimp much better. The awesome things about Deutsch is you can move the pins to larger connectors with ease, the pins contact better, they dont pull apart as easy, and the weather seals are better.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I mentioned it briefly above, but to continue the discussion on air install, I use a Switch Pros to actuate the solenoids to inflate and deflate the airbags

to inflate turn on the compressor (air) and hit the up arrow (opens up solenoid 1 and 2) , to deflate hit the down arrow (turns off air, and actuates solenoids 1,2 and 3). Air is exhausted through solenoid 3.

View attachment 19557

SDHQ switchpros mount, im pretty happy with the quality and the location is out of the way
View attachment 19558

Firewall pass through via balder gland, I love using these since I can easily add more wires for future needs and keeps it water tight
View attachment 19559
To make for easy connections to future accessories I made a custom harness with deutsch connector for easy plug and play
View attachment 19560
View attachment 19561

In case someone wants to copy the front coupler bracket.....
View attachment 19562View attachment 19563View attachment 19564

Cheers!
Where did you get the Firewall pass through via balder gland from as I cannot find any info on that unit.

el_barto

Reaction score

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Do you remember what size you purchased or part #?
PG19 is the size, you can go smaller pg12 or pg9 which allows you to thread the nut to the cable gland before re-installing the plate. Otherwise you have to install the plate then tighten the nut from the cabin.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
PG19 is the size, you can go smaller pg12 or pg9 which allows you to thread the nut to the cable gland before re-installing the plate. Otherwise you have to install the plate then tighten the nut from the cabin.
Thanks you for the info, I've been kicking around ordering a new 2022 Diesel to replace my 2019 Diesel as my TRX order in April fell apart as soon as it hit the dealers lot and have been getting pricing from Sandi but a Power Wagon has always been on my mind. With those air bag setup what do you plan on towing or loading for them as the low payload numbers has always had me worried on the Power Wagon. I love all the features of the Power Wagon except mpg and no AUX switches, it's the only HD they don't offer Aux switches on as you would think they would.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Thanks you for the info, I've been kicking around ordering a new 2022 Diesel to replace my 2019 Diesel as my TRX order in April fell apart as soon as it hit the dealers lot and have been getting pricing from Sandi but a Power Wagon has always been on my mind. With those air bag setup what do you plan on towing or loading for them as the low payload numbers has always had me worried on the Power Wagon. I love all the features of the Power Wagon except mpg and no AUX switches, it's the only HD they don't offer Aux switches on as you would think they

Honestly I dont really tow, but I do haul a lot of stuff from time to time, especially when going camping and long road trips, my folks live in AZ and the family and I drive there frequently. The air set up and electronics are a copy of my other rig (Toyota 4runner peeking in the background in the couple of pictures) that rig actually has more weight due to the swingout bumper, sliders, armor, etc. when fully loaded it squats pretty good without air, figured I would do he same to the PW. Im coming from a Ford Raptor, talk about poor payload, felt like anything I put in the back would cause it to go nose up haha.

My God Bless America pic!

4E8D0894-8A6C-4E91-8096-CEC9F8900175.jpeg

Etoimos

Reaction score
I don't even have a PW (thinking about trading in my Gladiator for one though), but I comment on the very clean install you have done here. I love it when other people obsess with the details as much as me.

Etoimos

Reaction score
Very professional job.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm really happy with the Wirefy crimper I got off of Amazon. The tool is solid and the ratcheting action makes it super easy to crimp things. The best part is they have multiple crimping dies that you can swap in to crimp just about any connector type you can imagine. About $35 for the tool with one die and $17 per additional die as you need them... it's a pretty nice system.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
I don't even have a PW (thinking about trading in my Gladiator for one though), but I comment on the very clean install you have done here. I love it when other people obsess with the details as much as me.
Thank you for the kind words! Modding is definitely an obsession and I cant stay idle for long. +1 on those crimpers I have a similar set for butt connectors, etc…nothing like have a proper set of tools for the job at hand!

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread