Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On board Air

EODMatt

Reaction score
Any one else running on board Air compressors? I just picked up a VIAIR 200 psi ultra duty with a 2.5 gallon tank and a constant duty compressor, pretty stoked on installing it this weekend. Curious to know what systems others are running and what mounting preferences they used. In thinking of deleting my spare tire and mounting underneath, haven’t climbed under to look yet though.

MaximumSteel

Reaction score
I like what this guy did: video skips to his compressor install, but I like everything he's done!

Last edited:

TonyT

Reaction score
Nothing on the Ram yet, but I have an ARB Dual compressor mounted under my passenger seat in the Jeep that powers the air lockers and I use it as a backup to my C02 tank setup. It's not nearly as fast as the C02, but its always ready. I will likely pick one up for the Ram as well. I will probably mount it under the body and run the outlet hose somewhere easily accessible near the bumpers or inside the cab.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
I just picked up a viair portable unit. I had onboard air a few years ago with a 5 gallon tank, etc. I removed my spare and put everything there. I had hopes of using it to run air tools, etc. It would do it, I just never had a need for it. The only thing I really used it for was train horns. Kind of grown out of that now. Looking back on it, it was more of a headache than anything. I tried to run at a high PSI and it seemed like something was always leaking. Once I got one leaked fixed another one popped up somewhere. Best advice is to buy high quality components and make sure you seal everything well. It's much easer to work on it before you install it.... Good Luck!

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Accuair Endo CT. Air compressor contained in the tank and it is quiet. 3 gallon model and does work well for topping off tires. With a little patience, I was able to find the proper terminals and wire it into a blank portion of the factory fuse box. Mounted under the drivers side door on the rocker panel where space was a bit tight.

Attachments

• IMG_20190810_084421.jpg
    IMG_20190810_084421.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20190810_084427.jpg
    IMG_20190810_084427.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20190810_084445.jpg
    IMG_20190810_084445.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20190902_131823.jpg
    IMG_20190902_131823.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 248

EODMatt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the photos, looks great!

switz

Reaction score
switz, that looks really slick! That makes me want to install onboard air!
Thanks. It looks cool and works great. I have a 5th wheel that uses air in the kingpin so it is really convenient. And, it is handy to have air available.

switz

Reaction score
Here you go. I had the compressor mounted on the driver's side just at the rear of the driver's door. The tank is mounted behind the compressor. air compressor.jpgair tank.jpgair tank and comp.jpg
I also ordered the truck with the Aux switches. The compressor is powered by one of those. And, I like the gauge located where I am working as opposed to being in the cab where I have seen most mounted.

AndyS

Reaction score
That's badass! What did the setup end up costing ya?

RB18C

Reaction score
Here you go. I had the compressor mounted on the driver's side just at the rear of the driver's door. The tank is mounted behind the compressor. View attachment 1730View attachment 1731View attachment 1732
I also ordered the truck with the Aux switches. The compressor is powered by one of those. And, I like the gauge located where I am working as opposed to being in the cab where I have seen most mounted.
Which viair compressor did you use? What size tank?

switz

Reaction score
Which viair compressor did you use? What size tank?
I bought a Viair 10007. With the tank (2 & 1/2 gallon) and all connections, it runs around $400.00. I had it installed for another $300.00. It is supposed to be a "constant duty" setup. So far, it works like a charm.

RB18C

Reaction score
I bought a Viair 10007. With the tank (2 & 1/2 gallon) and all connections, it runs around $400.00. I had it installed for another $300.00. It is supposed to be a "constant duty" setup. So far, it works like a charm.
Is it enough to fill the tires from let’s say 30 psi to 80? We go to the beach a few times a year and drive on. Finding air when we leave is always such a pain in the butt.

switz

Reaction score
Is it enough to fill the tires from let’s say 30 psi to 80? We go to the beach a few times a year and drive on. Finding air when we leave is always such a pain in the butt.
That should not be a problem. It may take a little while as you are dealing with a 2 gallon tank and small compressor but it will do it.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I installed a Viair and had the air connector and gauge installed in the bed.View attachment 1717

@switz How hard was it to mount and run airlines to these? My installer said it’s very difficult and could take a full day and $$$ 650-800 because of time? Worth it? Or something anyone could probably do with a little time??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Very easy to install. Basic tools including a drill, and it's not hard. Do yourself a favor and use DOT 3/8 air line from the tank to your fittings. You can get push to connect air brake fittings, which really easy to install, easy to disconnect the airline if needed, and very durable.

Here are some examples of fittings:

Reactions: n8r

Users who are viewing this thread