Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM factory rock sliders

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Ok, just watched the video. Nothing special in it. The AMP steps for the PW use the same holes as the sliders. The bracket for the motor mounts on the rear, not the front, so no clearance issues.
And like I said, slider has to mount up first.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Did a bunch of measuring and figuring today.
Too much cutting and welding to make it work.
Look at this picture. With the mount bolted to the pinch weld, the copper line on the blue tape is the outside of the slider.

20210625_155547.jpg

Here are 2 pictures of the slider at the end.

20210625_155626.jpg

20210625_155633.jpg

So in the second picture, you would have to cut at that bend in the middle of the slider where 2 pieces meet. Then you would have to weld in a new piece at an angle to go up to the mounting holes. This is so the step will clear it. That's a lot of cutting and welding.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So when you remove the slider and mount the step, that whole pinch weld is exposed. There is a black plastic trim on the bottom of the fender and on the bed.
Does anyone know if they make a cover for the pinch weld area for trucks without the slider? It would dress that pinch weld up and make that black molding line flow from front to back.

JM15

Reaction score
Damnit I only want to hear good news! So I may be doing the WKO sliders again. I loved them on my 3500, so guess I’ll just eat the weight penalty and get them :(

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Only other option I see, is try and talk amp into making a step that is 2 1/2" narrower but keep the bracket and step mounting point the same.

Or try and space the bracket inboard 2 1/2" but I dont think that would hold up for long.

AbeDoty

Reaction score
I just removed mine too install WKOR. They have been very stiff and stout, I would wager that, unless you plan for real rock falls and heavy wheeling, they'd work pretty well. My fat ass didn't ever stress them. I like to hammer pretty hard, though, and wanted a larger, flat step. Mine are available, should anyone be interested. I'm in southern Utah.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AbeDoty

Reaction score
Rock slide engineering makes a rock slider with a built in power step for Jeeps. Maybe if there's enough demand they would make them for the Power Wagon.
I spoke with them at an expo, they said no plans currently. You can buy replacement motors and parts on their site, I was tempted to try and one-off make some, but then I just went with WKOR sliders

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

el_barto

Reaction score
One of big advantages of the WKO or MAPLE sliders is they are wheel to wheel, and are wide with a kickout... vs the OEM ones that are high & tight and only can length...

On a trail today that was decidedly too tight for Power Wagons , got a bit cozy with some trees. Rear fender flare will need to be replaced in addition to and some buffing/minor dent pop, but I think it would have been way worse without the sliders

021DEABB-6E8A-4A31-A37C-B852AFA94456.jpeg

1816935C-AE7B-4814-9660-3F35C71AD696.jpeg

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So I got back from vacation and did a little mockup.
I used a piece of cardboard to represent the slider. A slot would have to be cut into the slider to mount the bracket. But as you can see, the step hits the slider. Only option I can see would be to have longer main arms to move the step inboard 1 3/4" to clear the slider.
The wood block was used to hold the bracket up. LLP
20210708_155726.jpg

20210708_155731.jpg

Reference picture with no slider.

20210708_155829.jpg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So this weekend I'm going to install my AMP steps.
I'm going to hang onto my sliders and do some figuring. Got a few ideas in my head. But it requires cutting and welding on the sliders
Watch my build thread for updates and ideas. And feel free to throw in your thoughts/ideas as well.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Got my AMP steps installed.
Dont think there is a way to put the sliders on. The AMP step just barely clears the pinch weld. On the front on both sides. The plastic end cap just touches the pinch weld when it goes by. The sliders hang like 3/4" below the pinch weld.

Shake N Bake

Reaction score
Got my AMP steps installed.
Dont think there is a way to put the sliders on. The AMP step just barely clears the pinch weld. On the front on both sides. The plastic end cap just touches the pinch weld when it goes by. The sliders hang like 3/4" below the pinch weld.
I gave up a month ago but was hoping a second set of eyes on it would find a solution I missed. Did you remove the OEM nutserts and use the AMP back plates, or did you use the factory nutserts? I ran my bore camera into the holes above the nutserts and there is no backing plate there, so I was not sure if the nutserts would be strong enough for the AMP bracket.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I drilled out the factory rivnuts and installed the AMP backing plate and rivnuts.
Pics and write up are in my build thread.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Ok, I ain't giving up yet.
I'm going to call AMP and see if I can buy one bracket for mock up.
I'm thinking maybe cut a slot in the slider and do some reinforcement on it. Weld in a plate for the main bolts for the step bracket.
Do you think if the step bracket is bolted to the slider only, it will still hold up?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Well looking at it again today, I dont think it will work. Would have to drop the step 1 1/2" to clear the slider. Then it would be hanging below the frame and about where the skid plate is. No bueno.

Wobly

Reaction score
Well looking at it again today, I dont think it will work. Would have to drop the step 1 1/2" to clear the slider. Then it would be hanging below the frame and about where the skid plate is. No bueno.
At this point you have to ask "Is the juice worth the squeeze? " . I think you have done more than any other person in trying to get them to work together and it still isn't playing well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yea, that's just me. I'll actually wake up at times in the middle of the night with either a new plan to try or finally have a solution on a problem I've been having when building stuff.
Until the sliders are sold and out of my garage, I'll probably keep doing that.
It's just the way my brain is wired. :rolleyes:
Wife keeps saying shes donating my brain to science when I die.:D

Users who are viewing this thread