Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Ram but rant about idiots at Discount Tire

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Short rant.

Got new Blizzaks on the A6 today.

[ETA]
Idiot [young, inexperienced, improperly trained?] tire monkeys pulled my (exposed) gunmetal grey (plastic) lug nut covers off the summer wheels (long story) where they are needed to cover the open lugs, and pushed them into the winter wheels that have a center cap cover so the lugs don't show. They're also WAY back in there and are now going to be a bitch to remove.

The few I already pulled are banged up pretty good too.

FFS.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Lowest of the low talent right there...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Lowest of the low talent right there...
Not all of them. My oldest started out at a Discount when he was in HS. He knew WTF he was doing. He went to automotive school, became a Master Audi Technician and team lead at the largest Audi dealer in the PNW, and won several high profile industry competitions, enough that he got recruited nationally for better jobs. He no longer turns wrenches proffessionally and is now the Service Manager at a mega VW dealership (after a short stint with Mercedes) with his eye on the GM spot. Makes 6 figures+ in a low COL area (San Antonio) and built a new semi-custom home 2 years ago. Only thing holding him back for the GM spot is age and the lack of a college degree he decided not to go into debt for.

jadmt

Reaction score
I recently went to discount tire (in Helena MT) with a buddy to get new tires on his Sprinter 4x4 van and it was an incredibly good experience he was in and out in like 35 minutes. A year or so I took my daughter's CRV to discount tire (in Boise ID) and it was a great experience it literally took 1/2 an hour. we were going to go for a walk while waiting and barely made it a couple blocks and they called to say it was done. So like any place there are good and bad experiences.

flan

Reaction score
It just seems like when a post is made it shows the quality of the employees that work there. Your post exemplifies it. The regular joe may take their vehicle there and be non the wiser, but people that frequent these types of forums are a bit above the regular joe and don’t even like when the “Crème de la crème” aka dealer touches our vehicles, we set the bar pretty high. Your oldest has moved on, where others have probably stayed, and continued to bring the chain repair facilities down into the bilge of auto repair.
Not all of them. My oldest started out at a Discount when he was in HS. He knew WTF he was doing. He went to automotive school, became a Master Audi Technician and team lead at the largest Audi dealer in the PNW, and won several high profile industry competitions, enough that he got recruited nationally for better jobs. He no longer turns wrenches proffessionally and is now the Service Manager at a mega VW dealership (after a short stint with Mercedes) with his eye on the GM spot. Makes 6 figures+ in a low COL area (San Antonio) and built a new semi-custom home 2 years ago. Only thing holding him back for the GM spot is age and the lack of a college degree he decided not to go into debt for.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It just seems like when a post is made it shows the quality of the employees that work there. Your post exemplifies it. The regular joe may take their vehicle there and be non the wiser, but people that frequent these types of forums are a bit above the regular joe and don’t even like when the “Crème de la crème” aka dealer touches our vehicles, we set the bar pretty high. Your oldest has moved on, where others have probably stayed, and continued to bring the chain repair facilities down into the bilge of auto repair.
I should have provided better adjectives and the post has been edited to better reflect my thoughts.

mkmsr

Reaction score
This is why I deal with small independent businesses. My tire guy has 2 employees, a guy that's been there for years and himself. They never have screwed anything up in the twenty years I've been using him. He also beats Tire Rack and Discount prices. I don't even shop around anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I use my local discount tire for all
My tire needs. 4 vehicles and 4 different trailers. Never. Bad experience and always a great price. Many of the employees in that shop have been there as long as oven been shopping with them.

The1adman

Reaction score
I have used or should say used to use Discount Tire for nearly 30 years. Was a great company. They have made so many major screw ups and caused non repairable damage that I no longer use them. This was multiple stores in multiple cities. They are just a different business than they used to be. I now use a mobile tire guy to do all my work. More expensive but takes their time, does it correct and no damage.

Gin

Reaction score
I was along time customer at Discount Tire, until one of the employees at the Apple Valley MN store decided to replace the TPMS on my brand new Wrangler 392XR without asking. The Wrangler was 5 weeks old and I brought it in to have the OEM 315/70R17 tires replaced with Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs in 37x12.5R17. That was all they were authorized to do. When I got the bill the manager rang me up and the total was much higher than normal. When asked about the extra cost he explained there was an over sized tire fee, then laughed and stated the bill was originally $260.00, but he marked it down. I didn't think much of it until a few days later we were installing some upgrades on the wrangler and I noticed the valve stem covers were changed to a generic looking cover that were colored black. The 392XR have unique looking valve stem covers. I contacted the national office and they stated there is no reason my bill should have been $260.00 to swap out 5 tires. It is sad how many dishonest people are in the automotive industry.

Users who are viewing this thread