Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Normal coolant temp for 2022, 2500, 6.4 HEMI?

22horn

Reaction score
Just picked new 2500......never had a 6.4, and wondering what is norm9for coolant temp?
At 55 degrees, or 70 degrees outside, and either 40mph, or 70mph, I run between 214-218?

PCT

Reaction score
mine runs 214-220, dont get why it runs so hot, but it is what it is... i had a 180 T-stat on my old 4.7

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Mine runs 219-221 with it 80+ degrees but if I really get down in it, temp drops down to like 204 until I have to let up on it. So I’m guessing if I have to pull a long hill towing the shutters will stay open and cooled down.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I’ve been running the a/c on recirculate and coolant temperature will drop down to 199 then ease back up to 219 then fall back down again. I’m guessing the a/c is making the shutters stay open longer. Normally cycles 219-221.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Going to dig up this older post instead of starting a new one. Just picked my truck up yesterday. Ran 1000 miles home. Speeds between 55-75. Ambient temp was 65-101. No load but lots of hills and some wind. Coolant temp bounced between 210-221, but most of the time it was around the 220 range. It actually seemed to run cooler when I was pulling hills at the lower speeds. Open interstate running was more towards the hotter coolant temps. Is this caused by the shutters? Is it normal? My current 2014 tradesman has the 8 speed and grill shutters. It runs 204-210. The only time it's sees 220 is when I'm pulling my 9500 lb toy hauler.

Attachments

• IMG_20220816_173447965_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220816_173447965_HDR.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 21

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Put your foot in it and run the rpm up in a hard short run and it will drop down in the 190’s. I think they have it set up so that when engine vacuum drops it holds the shutters open longer and the water pump really pushes a lot of coolant through the system with the increased rpm.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Seems hot for "normal" driving. Probably emissions related why Ram has them running that hot.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Seems hot for "normal" driving. Probably emissions related why Ram has them running that hot.
Definitely seems that it is trying to maintain that temp. Not working the engine hard at all. I was only running 1800-2100 rpm. As olejoe said, it seemed to run cooler if I ran it hard.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s for durability. I don’t like the idea behind the shutters on a vehicle I bought for towing and hauling.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
If we could just find a way to make the components that regulate the shutters think we’re hammering on it all the time, maybe the shutters would stay open.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I know on the 1500, people have been removing the shutters so just the top and bottom ones are active. May investigate this a bit more.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Mine also seems to run cooler when towing and pulling hills. While towing I also have tow/haul mode engaged. I've always pondered if tow/haul mode either keeps the shutters open or leaves them open longer to compensate for the additional thermal load.

I wouldn't try disabling them though as the ECM monitors them and will set codes/CEL for problems. The whole cooling system works as a unit.

Right from the factory service manual

"The Active Grill Shutter (AGS) system is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over a dedicated network Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus. The Active Grill Shutters perform an initialization each time the vehicle is started. The initialization can be used as a quick way to validate the operation of the AGS. To perform the AGS validation, start the engine and observe the grill shutters. The shutters will cycle to the fully open position and then to the fully closed positions to initialize and learn the hard stops on the grill shutter frame for each key cycle.

If the AGS smart module detects the grill shutters are jammed, it will attempt to free them by cycling the shutters from the open to close positions 3 times. If this condition is detected when the ambient air temperature is greater than 4.4°C (40°F) the MIL will illuminate and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set. If the ambient air temperature is below 4.4°C (40°F) and a jammed condition is detected, the smart module will assume the shutters are frozen and will not illuminate the MIL or set a DTC."

kevin588127

Reaction score
Mine also seems to run cooler when towing and pulling hills. While towing I also have tow/haul mode engaged. I've always pondered if tow/haul mode either keeps the shutters open or leaves them open longer to compensate for the additional thermal load.

I wouldn't try disabling them though as the ECM monitors them and will set codes/CEL for problems. The whole cooling system works as a unit.

Right from the factory service manual

"The Active Grill Shutter (AGS) system is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over a dedicated network Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus. The Active Grill Shutters perform an initialization each time the vehicle is started. The initialization can be used as a quick way to validate the operation of the AGS. To perform the AGS validation, start the engine and observe the grill shutters. The shutters will cycle to the fully open position and then to the fully closed positions to initialize and learn the hard stops on the grill shutter frame for each key cycle.

If the AGS smart module detects the grill shutters are jammed, it will attempt to free them by cycling the shutters from the open to close positions 3 times. If this condition is detected when the ambient air temperature is greater than 4.4°C (40°F) the MIL will illuminate and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set. If the ambient air temperature is below 4.4°C (40°F) and a jammed condition is detected, the smart module will assume the shutters are frozen and will not illuminate the MIL or set a DTC."
So from what I gathered so far, they are leaving the top and lower piece in place. The middle shutters just snap in and out so the mod is completely reversible, at least on the 1500s. So the system thinks it is functioning fine but you are actually getting more air flow at all times. I'm going to try towing with mine first and see what happens. My initial question was just to see if my truck was operating abnormally. I'm not too eager to start making mods to a brand new truck that is under warranty.

Also, I did run mine in tow haul mode for a bit. Didn't notice any decrease in temp but the shifting was affected. I believe it wasn't going into 8th gear and I definitely held gears longer before upshifting.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
By leaving the top and bottom louvers in place, it’s said that that retains the open and closed hard stops so no mil. I don’t know this to be a fact but what I’ve been able to find. The shutters tend to remain open longer when running the A/C on maximum cool.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I hear you on the warranty. Mine is 11 months old and 8k miles with a 6yr/100k B2B warranty so not much experimentation going on.

Users who are viewing this thread