Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Factory Puck System

risgur

Reaction score
Hello, I have 2020 Ram 2500 it did not come with a factory pucks system has anyone had any experience on installing one? Prefer not to have the rails in the truck on conventual ones.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the puck system personally plus the puck system with a 5th wheel is much better

Why?

A B&W Companion attached to a ball mount is a well respected and well known top performer.

If I hadn't already invested in a Curt that I converted to puck, I would have the B&W setup. I may have even moved to a Goosebox to free up the bed in the summer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Why?

A B&W Companion attached to a ball mount is a well respected and well known top performer.

If I hadn't already invested in a Curt that I converted to puck, I would have the B&W setup. I may have even moved to a Goosebox to free up the bed in the summer.
I have had it before the after fighting with the release handle way to many time to count because it rusts and seized up even after greasing it i have learned to hate them besides i run both 5th wheel and goose necks so the puck system works better for me....

risgur

Reaction score
Thanks for all t he feedback, I have researched the B&W Gooseneck set up with B&W 5th wheel, this seems the most logical chose.

Bigrj66

Reaction score
it would be a ton of work, but you can purchase the puck system frame mounts and install them, then you have to drill all the holes in the bed to access them. mine has it installed from the factory, and i love it, but the B&W gooseneck turn over ball would be the best option.

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
I have had it before the after fighting with the release handle way to many time to count because it rusts and seized up even after greasing it i have learned to hate them besides i run both 5th wheel and goose necks so the puck system works better for me....
I have a buddy with a B&W on his ford, and he has the same complaint, with all the road salt between here (NJ) and his snowmobiling property (Deep Upstate NY) he said the release is constantly seizing up. This is why i'm looking to install the factory system for when I need to pull a gooseneck or upgrade our bumper pull TT to a 5th wheel.

Bigrj66

Reaction score
1623873130604.png
this is available from discount mopar parts. all you need to install the underbed pucks

GLB1950

Reaction score
I just watched the video for the install of the B&W turnover ball system. I'm mechanically inclined, but............I got heart palpitations and a nose bleed just watching the video. Makes me soooo glad I ordered the puck system in my truck.o_O

JFV1134

Reaction score
I installed the OEM gooseneck prep kit in my old 2017 2500. It consisted of the gooseneck puck as well as the two rear 5th wheel pucks. It was simple to install and simple to drill. Honestly, I know several people with the BW turnover ball setup who have the ball seized inside the collar or they have the release handle seized or won't stay unlocked. I chose not to dig around a filthy wheel well and went for OEM. I was very happy with the setup. I ended up getting the prep package from the factory because of how well it performs. No dirty or stuck balls over here!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I installed the OEM gooseneck prep kit in my old 2017 2500. It consisted of the gooseneck puck as well as the two rear 5th wheel pucks. It was simple to install and simple to drill. Honestly, I know several people with the BW turnover ball setup who have the ball seized inside the collar or they have the release handle seized or won't stay unlocked. I chose not to dig around a filthy wheel well and went for OEM. I was very happy with the setup. I ended up getting the prep package from the factory because of how well it performs. No dirty or stuck balls over here!
I have found the same thing the b&w is not setup for climates that get rust the only advantage of the b&w is the ability to run an offset ball thats it but i dont have a short bed and i would never switch my camper to a GN ball setup as that is just silly

Muddvain

Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to bring up something me and my wife thought about today. Make shre your insurance coverages cover higher than the normal 50k cause i know a lot of you r higher valued trucks than even mine at MSRP of 73610$ so just make sure when you drive’r home your covered from the crazies

JFV1134

Reaction score
Also worth noting: the OEM puck system is considered safer than the B&W turnover system.

On the OEM puck system, there are three points of contact on different areas of the frame. The goose ball is on the center crossmember, and the two chain tie down points are on frame rails. Added security.

The B&W turnover system has everything closely mounted on the center crossmember. If, for whatever reason (rust, force, etc), the center crossmember breaks or tears loose, you would lose everything if you had the B&W system.

g00fy

Reaction score
Also worth noting: the OEM puck system is considered safer than the B&W turnover system.

On the OEM puck system, there are three points of contact on different areas of the frame. The goose ball is on the center crossmember, and the two chain tie down points are on frame rails. Added security.

The B&W turnover system has everything closely mounted on the center crossmember. If, for whatever reason (rust, force, etc), the center crossmember breaks or tears loose, you would lose everything if you had the B&W system.
That's a good point I never gave that a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread