Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No new news?!!?! Let's talk about news we would like to hear.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
As I am in different discussions about these 4.5 Gen trucks and the 5th Gen 1500 DT and Classic 4th Gen DS, it has got me thinking about when the news of the next model year and/or the actual redesign of the HeavyDuty RAM hits, what will it be.

When we first learned about the 2019 HD there was alot of concern about not getting the bigger Cab and different bedsides.

That led to discussions about Regular Cabs, quad cabs, Crew Cabs, bigger crew cabs and the Mega Cab.

My take is that it is gonna be hard to justify a bigger cab when it will fit very awkwardly between Current Crew Cab and Mega Cab, and we already know RAM decided the quad cab had no place in the HD world.

So, I said all that to make my first discussion.

Will there be a 4.5 Gen classic?

The truck is all new, except the 3 cabs and the 2 beds.

There are other cab and bed configurations. Obviously there is the 1500 quad cab and new Crew cab. There are regular cabs with access doors, there is the 5'7 bed.

So, is it possible, that they could keep the classic, with the Regular cab and Mega Cab, and then have the true 5th gen with a Regular cab with access doors, and/or a quad cab and then the new Crew cab.

Also possibly trying out a new bed size.

RAM has also been quoted as saying they are done chasing the ever increasing horsepower, torque and towing wars to focus on making the truck work in its current capacity better, safer, more reliable, and more comfortable.

So, do we think there will be changes to the current drivetrains or will the just work on making them more efficient or reliable.

We know Ford brought the 7.3l V8 to the game upping the horsepower and torque in the Gas HD segment.

They removed the 5.7l making the 6.4l no longer an option, but the standard. So they do have room to put a larger more powerful gas engine in the ring.

I see within the community alot of back and forth on the Powerwagon. Some want more offroad capability and some want more HeavyDuty capability.

Could we see some trickle down of the Powerwagon tech (as in my outdoorsman threadz--basically all the Powerwagon stuff without the flexy suspension), then with the TRX see the Powerwagon become more offroad capable?

We know there were some issues at the role out (trailer camera), so could we see the towing technology package become even more advanced?

Ideas, comments, thoughts as we wait for more news.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I read a bit the other day that stated the 426 has been canceled. I think that is a mistake as Ford has brought out the 7.3 gasser and there does seem to be a market for a heavier towing gas engine.

And besides, I'm certain the 426 would show up in the Challenget, and that's what I really want!

dgstandard

Reaction score
426?
Yes please!!

Attachments

• 20160515_164636_001.jpg
    20160515_164636_001.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 11
D

Deleted member 80

I don't see them doing a "classic" in the HD trucks. If they choose to not remain in the thick of the power/towing wars, at least on the diesel front, they will lose market share. If they want to compete in the big gasser game we need more than a bigger small-block. We will need a big-block with a long arm, grunt nature. Since Ram doesn't play in the medium duty(650-750)market, or Class A gasser motor coaches, I don't know if they will see the volume potential to tool up for a big-block. As a current Aisin owner, I hate to say that they really need to step it up in the transmission department. The Aisin may be super durable, but its operation is very crude compared to the competition, and believe me I hate to say that. Besides the 12" U-Connect misbehaving on a daily basis(sorry I got it), the Aisin has turned out to be my biggest disappointment in my dually.

On Edit:
Whether it makes sense or not, once they get the transmission sorted, they need to offer the HO Cummins in the 2500, as the other guys don't handicap their 3/4 ton offerings.

Last edited by a moderator:

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
426?
Yes please!!

Ummmmm, you have a nice couple of Challengers! Here's mine:

20190604_164906-X2.jpg

It would look much better with 426 on the fender. But since it seems FCA won't do it, I may have to!

Last edited:

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
On Edit:
Whether it makes sense or not, once they get the transmission sorted, they need to offer the HO Cummins in the 2500, as the other guys don't handicap their 3/4 ton offerings.

I've owned 5 Cummins powered diesels over the last 10 years and they have all been 3500s.....2 DRW and 3 SRW trucks. From a payload standpoint, I don't understand why anyone would buy a diesel 2500. They just don't have the payload for pulling a 5th wheel or gooseneck. As long as FCA maintains a Class II rating for the 2500 with a 10,000# GVWR, it doesn't make sense to me. If they do what Ford has done and raise the GVWR into the Class III Rating range above 10000#, then it would be reasonable to add the HO and Aisin. But adding weight to a 10000# 2500, just takes away from an already small payload.

D

Deleted member 80

I've owned 5 Cummins powered diesels over the last 10 years and they have all been 3500s.....2 DRW and 3 SRW trucks. From a payload standpoint, I don't understand why anyone would buy a diesel 2500. They just don't have the payload for pulling a 5th wheel or gooseneck. As long as FCA maintains a Class II rating for the 2500 with a 10,000# GVWR, it doesn't make sense to me. If they do what Ford has done and raise the GVWR into the Class III Rating range above 10000#, then it would be reasonable to add the HO and Aisin. But adding weight to a 10000# 2500, just takes away from an already small payload.
I agree, BUT it's all marketing. If they want market share, like they claim they do, they need to respond to the market.

On Edit:
I think GM breaking through the weight class guidelines that have been observed for so long may end up backfiring once the insurance companies figure it out. What's next, stick 2500 emblems on a 4500 Cab & Chassis, and sell it as a 3/4 ton?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I really hope they keep the Mega Cab in the HD trucks when they change over to the new cabs. If they would have put a similar behind the seat storage system like the Megas in the new Crew cab it'd be a different story, but there is still a huge storage and room difference between the two. If I were to buy new I'd still go for the Mega (even if the new Crew was offered), if only for the behind the seat storage bins.
I can see the reason for not having the Mega in the 1500's for the extra weight and payload hit, but the HDs it still very much makes sense.
Again, I also hope they come out with something to compete head-on with Ford's new Tremor package and their 7.3L big block. Power Wagon is a sweet truck, but the payload is way too low for most HD truck buyers. And that 8-speed did give the 6.4L new life, and it still should hold it own against GMs 6.6L gas w/ that 6 speed, it'll be really tough to compete with the 7.3L w/ that 10 speed behind it.

From a payload standpoint, I don't understand why anyone would buy a diesel 2500. They just don't have the payload for pulling a 5th wheel or gooseneck.

Totally agree with you here, I've always thought 2500 diesels are for the guy that wants a diesel just to "roll coal" around town but only has a 8000# trailer they pull every once in a while (at least that's what I see).

Users who are viewing this thread