Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No blower after car wash

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Yes, car washes bad... now, so as the title states... I can hear something behind the dash, but it takes a bit of driving before anything starts coming out of the vents.
There's no water in the truck, there's no water in the cabin filter... where do the drains come out for the cowl?

Aside from pulling the cowl off, anywhere else to look where problem may be?
I'm guessing at this point something wasn't put on quite right after they did the AC TSB (but that was quite some time ago).

Ostracize

Reaction score
Yes, car washes bad... now, so as the title states... I can hear something behind the dash, but it takes a bit of driving before anything starts coming out of the vents.
There's no water in the truck, there's no water in the cabin filter... where do the drains come out for the cowl?

Aside from pulling the cowl off, anywhere else to look where problem may be?
I'm guessing at this point something wasn't put on quite right after they did the AC TSB (but that was quite some time ago).
I'd ops check the system manually... Cycling through the modes looking for the blend doors to change the flow of air timing how long it takes and looking for any transition that takes longer. Then switch to recirculate and back a few times to see how it reacts... It should be fairly evident if there's something not functioning properly.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'd ops check the system manually... Cycling through the modes looking for the blend doors to change the flow of air timing how long it takes and looking for any transition that takes longer. Then switch to recirculate and back a few times to see how it reacts... It should be fairly evident if there's something not functioning properly.

Yeah, should have been more specific in my original post... once I rolled out of the car wash, I tried adjusting all the settings... fan speed, defrost, upper vents, lower vents, recirculate, auto, colder, hotter...there was simply no air blowing anywhere even though it sounds like something is blowing(?)... once I got about 15 minutes down the road it slowly started blowing until it was back up to 'normal'.

I'm guessing water is getting into 'something', just not sure what or where... a generic search online said to check floorboards/firewall and cabin filter for water/wetness.
If the water is pooling/collecting near a connection, I'd like to get that fixed before I have a corrosion issue.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Yeah, should have been more specific in my original post... once I rolled out of the car wash, I tried adjusting all the settings... fan speed, defrost, upper vents, lower vents, recirculate, auto, colder, hotter...there was simply no air blowing anywhere even though it sounds like something is blowing(?)... once I got about 15 minutes down the road it slowly started blowing until it was back up to 'normal'.

I'm guessing water is getting into 'something', just not sure what or where... a generic search online said to check floorboards/firewall and cabin filter for water/wetness.
If the water is pooling/collecting near a connection, I'd like to get that fixed before I have a corrosion issue.
Interesting, if you can hear the blower then the air must be going somewhere, I'd still think potential blend door. Path of least resistance. Curious if you ever tried the same testing with the accessory on engine off to see if there's any change or if it's actually the blower motor that you're hearing.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Interesting, if you can hear the blower then the air must be going somewhere, I'd still think potential blend door. Path of least resistance. Curious if you ever tried the same testing with the accessory on engine off to see if there's any change or if it's actually the blower motor that you're hearing.
No, I have not... thanks for the suggestion.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Check the filter for restriction
The cabin filter?
That gets changed at every oil change (wife has bad allergies)... it wasn't wet, and it was rather clean as I just changed it out no too long ago.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So went through the wash again today and the prior to going through I set the system to 'recirculate' and I turned off the climate controls (turned fan to off which seems to shut it all down).
Once out the other side, I turned it back on and everything worked normally... ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Ostracize

Reaction score
So went through the wash again today and the prior to going through I set the system to 'recirculate' and I turned off the climate controls (turned fan to off which seems to shut it all down).
Once out the other side, I turned it back on and everything worked normally... ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
Correct, fan off = system off.
Not for nothin... Depending on outside ambient vs engine temp vs temp setting in auto... There can be delays and/or I've noticed that if the system is trying to heat the cabin then its biased between defrost vents and floor vents.. I don't think I've ever had mine blow heat directly at me.

Users who are viewing this thread