Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night Edition Headlights

Doc Fluty

Reaction score
I have a 2020 power wagon and was interested in swapping out my current led lights for the 2021 Laramie night edition version. Would those lights be plug and play with my power wagon reflector leds? Im not interested in any turning features... just as long as the low, high and blinkers work as expected

I believe these are the part numbers: 68360183AB - 68360182AB

Thanks for any help you can give

Last edited:

Doc Fluty

Reaction score
No, the new Laramie night edition has this blacked-out style with the single DRL line rather than the dual DRLs that the power wagons have.. also notice the four leads in the headlight rather than the reflector the PWs use.

Br5smdY.png

Also, you can read about them here

Doc Fluty

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought they were simply laramie versions because when I go to build a truck and click laramie then these come standard, albeit the chrome versions.

Would a dealer be willing/able to program them?

I've disconnected my ground a few times while wiring up new 12v items and sometimes the truck acts funny when I reconnect it... like the backup camera doesn't work or something like that... usually I have to wait 24 hours and it all fixes itself.

If the dealer has to flash the truck to make the lights work I'm worried that if I need to disconnect the battery again I would then lose my headlights until I get to a dealer to reflash them... which could be problematic and troublesome.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No, the new Laramie night edition has this blacked-out style with the single DRL line rather than the dual DRLs that the power wagons have.. also notice the four leads in the headlight rather than the reflector the PWs use.

Br5smdY.png

The lights you show are the Adaptive Directional projector LED lights that come on Limited models and were included on the 75th Anniversary PW (shown) and are available in the Level 3 package PW.

el_barto

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought they were simply laramie versions because when I go to build a truck and click laramie then these come standard, albeit the chrome versions.
Wat. The online builder shows chrome LED reflector headlights on Laramie.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Br5smdY.png

If you want to swap your current headlights for the ones you have pictured, you will need a custom conversion harness. They are not a direct plug n play swap. The dealer will not be able to program them, so you’ll have to use AlfaOBD to get the lighting features to function 100% like factory. Since you would need AlfaOBD and a conversion harness anyway, you would also just use AlfaOBD to turn on the adaptive feature, too, otherwise the turn signals won’t function correctly.

Doc Fluty

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This is actually one of the reasons I am thinking of selling my PW and going to an older Defender.... these new vehicles just don't let you do simple things simply.

I put a set of seats in my challenger and it shut off the airbag system... now I'm just trying to swap headlights just to a different trim level and it turns into an ordeal.

This is so frustrating... thanks again.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This is actually one of the reasons I am thinking of selling my PW and going to an older Defender.... these new vehicles just don't let you do simple things simply.

I put a set of seats in my challenger and it shut off the airbag system... now I'm just trying to swap headlights just to a different trim level and it turns into an ordeal.

Yea that makes sense buy a Land Rover you’ll have less problems lmao

Doc Fluty

Reaction score
Yeah, but when something goes wrong it’s easy to diagnose… you can add axles, gauges and more and it doesn’t mess with computers

RAM_Dad

Reaction score

If it was just a simple headlight swap, it would be straight forward. However, the projector headlights might as well be from an entirely different vehicle. They’re directional and turn with the truck. Something has to control them.

You’re wanting the “tech” headlights without the tech.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

It's not frustrating if you do a little research first instead of just throwing parts at something then complaining after finding out there's more to it.

These new vehicles are rolling computers, you don't think that's going to take some code settings changes or wiring changes for adding different parts?

el_barto

Reaction score
I don’t understand how you are essentially trying to cross shop a brand new Ram with an older Defender. They are not in the same category at all.

The Defender might be more capable offroad and simpler to work on; but it will be slow, noisy, and much less comfortable on road.

Everything is compromises. Do your homework, find a balance, understand limitations.

Jgouldski

Reaction score
If you want to swap your current headlights for the ones you have pictured, you will need a custom conversion harness. They are not a direct plug n play swap. The dealer will not be able to program them, so you’ll have to use AlfaOBD to get the lighting features to function 100% like factory. Since you would need AlfaOBD and a conversion harness anyway, you would also just use AlfaOBD to turn on the adaptive feature, too, otherwise the turn signals won’t function correctly.
If I were interested in doing this, would the headlights be the part numbers listed in the first post? The 2 Canadian sites I looked at had those 2 listed as discontinued. And would the custom conversion harness just be for different wires between the headlights and BCM or something similar? Would my 2019 2500 bighorn have the correct circuits ran to accept the new harness or would it be more involved? Thanks for the help

Jimmy07

Reaction score
The parts listed in the first post are for the projector adaptive headlights with black housings. They may have been superseded with new part numbers.
The conversion harness is needed because those headlights have different connectors, and adds all the missing circuits. It will work on any trim level 2019+ Ram HD.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Its not frustrating just a couple extra small steps…

Land rovers are frustrating

dragon_ram

Reaction score
The parts listed in the first post are for the projector adaptive headlights with black housings. They may have been superseded with new part numbers.
The conversion harness is needed because those headlights have different connectors, and adds all the missing circuits. It will work on any trim level 2019+ Ram HD.
Do you have a write up on this swap? I’m considering (if the cost isn’t too painful) swapping Laramie LED reflectors with Limited LED Projectors to get the night edition headlight.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Do you have a write up on this swap? I’m considering (if the cost isn’t too painful) swapping Laramie LED reflectors with Limited LED Projectors to get the night edition headlight.
Here’s a link to a thread where someone explains how to install them and run the harness.

Users who are viewing this thread