Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Grand Design 324MBS too much for 2500?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Even though I've been on Eisenhower Grade with my 07 C&C, I was empty. But I have pulled that grade a couple of times with a International, powered with a ISX15 Cummins @ 70K GCW, that was fun and even easy with the EB setup just like our 6.7 CTD's, going down Loveland pass. ;)

BGaero

Reaction score
What did you decide on the RV? I haul w a 6.4 3.73. It’ll do it, it works in the hills but the motor has to actually work.

BGaero

Reaction score
I’m curious what rule/regulation/law folks are referencing if your pin weight exceeds cargo capacity as long as you don’t exceed rear axle weight.

Spedly

Reaction score
I’m curious what rule/regulation/law folks are referencing if your pin weight exceeds cargo capacity as long as you don’t exceed rear axle weight.

Some states specify you can not exceed the manufacturer’s GVWR.

BGaero

Reaction score
Some states specify you can not exceed the manufacturer’s GVWR.
So if I’m pulling a trailer it’s manufacturer combined vehicle weight rating then? I see a lot of post but no one has given a specific “here it is”. I’m just curious where the pin weight = cargo capacity when you’re in the combined vehicle weight category.

tchur1

Reaction score
I think you are referring to posts that talk about axel weight ratings vs GVWR. Ram artificially deflates the GVWR on the 2500 down to 10k pounds for registration purposes. If you look at the each axels weight rating itll usually add up to about 12k pounds on a 2500. That minus how much your truck weighs will give you the actual capabilities of your truck. I dont know how that impacts legalities if you are beyond that 10k amount but that will give you an idea of what the true capabilities of your truck are.

Bombaman

Reaction score
On a 1500, the GAWR's are 3900/4100, so a combined axle maximum of 8,000lb. But GVWR of 7,100lb. and people would be losing their %&$# if it was being recommended to go over GVWR on a 1500. I'm not the OEM but from what I interpret, the Axle ratings are also higher than the GVWR as the weight will never be 50/50, so this gives you some flexibility to move the load around.

Will the 2500 tow it? Sure. Can it do it legally? Eh. But as a non-CDL driver your less likley to get pinged, and the overweight fine for most states for <2,000 is pretty small.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Pin weight affects payload, which affects GVWR.

downsc123

Reaction score
What did you decide on the RV? I haul w a 6.4 3.73. It’ll do it, it works in the hills but the motor has to actually work.
I cancelled the 2500 order and went with a 3500 SRW HO. The GWVR of the 324MBS is 14K which is just too much for my comfort in a 2500. With real life pin weight plus the weight of the hitch (almost 3k), I would be at payload limit before adding anyone or anything else in the truck

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I cancelled the 2500 order and went with a 3500 SRW HO. The GWVR of the 324MBS is 14K which is just too much for my comfort in a 2500. With real life pin weight plus the weight of the hitch (almost 3k), I would be at payload limit before adding anyone or anything else in the truck

Smart.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
GVWR is an arbitrary number that FCA puts out and relates to warranty not DOT. If you stay within the axle ratings, drive axle and steer axle ratings your good as far as DOT. Make sure if you replace your tires, they are at or over the OE tire ratings. DOT can fine you for being over weight if under the axle rating and over the tire rating. But lets get real, the chances that you get pulled over or slim to none. But if your but is dragging real bad, (and I've seen it from being grossly overweight) from being way over your drive axle rating you might get pulled over. Just food for thought.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I think there was the four letter word in all of that. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread