Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Diesel Fuels? New Owner Recommendations

22RAMAlazan

Reaction score
Hello All,

First time Cummins owner from a ford f150 gasser. I live in So-Cal and a lot of stations are now offering "renewable Diesel #2", Bio-Diesel, etc. Is this good to use with the new HO Cummins for daily driver? My understanding was #2 diesel fuel only but now there is renewable...bio? etc. Also, any daily additives that you would recommend? Thanks!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hello All,

First time Cummins owner from a ford f150 gasser. I live in So-Cal and a lot of stations are now offering "renewable Diesel #2", Bio-Diesel, etc. Is this good to use with the new HO Cummins for daily driver? My understanding was #2 diesel fuel only but now there is renewable...bio? etc. Also, any daily additives that you would recommend? Thanks!
Stick to the good ol 1202 nothing else….

22RAMAlazan

Reaction score
So..... is the renewable diesel "76" stations are providing good?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
1202....?
Thats just your regular ol diesel fuel 1202 is the dangerous goods placard number, im not sure is the US uses the same placard symbols as us now that im thinking about it lol

Firebird

Reaction score
I haven't run biodiesel since one of my old 5.9's not sure if I would run it in these new engines

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
I've had to use either 5% or 20% bio in my 14,15, and 21. I don't like to use it, but sometimes it's all you can find at truck stops when traveling. No ill effects so far. Bio does give you better lubrication in your fuel system, but I'd rather use #2.

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
When I am traveling, I use whatever I happen upon. And, never had an issue with the truck. I am pretty sure I did get some 20% bio fuel on this last trip of 4400 miles. If I am not mistaken the truck got one of it's best MPG figures on that tank.

I also had some fuel spill on me when the nozzle did not shut off. That fuel looked like 20W motor oil. I was really concerned but the truck was 1/2 tank so whatever that was got diluted. Had no issues on that tank either.

Just did the fuel filters on the 21 HO @15,000 miles and the front filter literally looked brand new. So new white filter soaked in Diesel. Slightly amber...........

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
When I am traveling, I use whatever I happen upon. And, never had an issue with the truck. I am pretty sure I did get some 20% bio fuel on this last trip of 4400 miles. If I am not mistaken the truck got one of it's best MPG figures on that tank.

I also had some fuel spill on me when the nozzle did not shut off. That fuel looked like 20W motor oil. I was really concerned but the truck was 1/2 tank so whatever that was got diluted. Had no issues on that tank either.

Just did the fuel filters on the 21 HO @15,000 miles and the front filter literally looked brand new. So new white filter soaked in Diesel. Slightly amber...........

For those trucks that can use the B20, my 2020 manual recommends a shorter oil change interval when B20 is used.

OneWipeCharlie

Reaction score
I work for a fuel terminal down in central Texas and we bounce between 5% blended and non blended. Unless you know the fuel terminal that is providing the fuel or you ask the gas station attendant you won’t know what you’re getting. All pumps will say they “may contain 5% bio” but that doesn’t mean that they are at 5% bio. They could be straight diesel or blended bio. This is true for a huge percentage of regular gas station. When you get to the truck stops then it’s a different story. They will post higher blends at the pump because they’re splash loading compartments into their tanks to get higher concentrations. Not all truck racks can blend a truck to 20%.

I know my company is doing renewable diesel projects in SoCal and Louisiana but those will feed different stand alone pumps that have it clearly labeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I work for a fuel terminal down in central Texas and we bounce between 5% blended and non blended. Unless you know the fuel terminal that is providing the fuel or you ask the gas station attendant you won’t know what you’re getting. All pumps will say they “may contain 5% bio” but that doesn’t mean that they are at 5% bio. They could be straight diesel or blended bio. This is true for a huge percentage of regular gas station. When you get to the truck stops then it’s a different story. They will post higher blends at the pump because they’re splash loading compartments into their tanks to get higher concentrations. Not all truck racks can blend a truck to 20%.

I know my company is doing renewable diesel projects in SoCal and Louisiana but those will feed different stand alone pumps that have it clearly labeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 76 station I used to go to now has a sticker on it saying it may be over 20% blend. I no longer go there.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have never even heard of any stations selling blends of any kinds here in ontario

22RAMAlazan

Reaction score
Hello All,

for reference, this is what I am seeing at my local station. I been using #2 Diesel but it is out of my way to fill up.

Questions:

Can I use the 76 renewable diesel?
Can I mix it with #2 diesel?
Pros and Cons?

See link below for reference

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Hello All,

for reference, this is what I am seeing at my local station. I been using #2 Diesel but it is out of my way to fill up.

Questions:

Can I use the 76 renewable diesel?
Can I mix it with #2 diesel?
Pros and Cons?

See link below for reference

I won't use it in my 2020 since the manual says it voids the warranty. I doubt it would hurt it though. I did send an email to 76 letting them know they will be losing customers because of Ram warranty concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread