Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My trigger finger is itching

HomelessBound

Reaction score
We have a 7000 lb travel trailer that I've been shopping for a truck for, but want a bit more payload than the 1/2 ton trucks are providing. Test drove just about everything and was really impressed with the Ram 2500HD/3500HD. I think the 2500HD is probably the sweet spot for us as it still drives unloaded much like a 1/2 ton truck. For our application the smoother shifting gas also seems like the answer, along with the additional payload over the diesel.

So here's the fantasy build for now:

Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4
Tow Tech Pack
Safety Pack
Auto level
Laramie Level 1
Anti Spin Differential
Block Heater
LED Bed lighting
Trailer TPMS

of course, no one offers them like this, so trying to find a dealer to order from. Everyone seems to throw the cummins on with tech+safety, and usually the buckets and Level 2 - leaving way less payload than we'd like.

But anyways -- hi!

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. Lots of info here to help you get the truck you want and enjoy it after you get it.

Sounds like you are making a great decision for your towing needs.

Thanks for joining us

archer75

Reaction score
If you get a 3500 with the air suspension the suspenion will be softer than not having air suspenion. Then you get gobs of payload and a better ride. Though perhaps not as a good a ride as the 2500. Might be worth checking out. Especially for any future trailer/5th wheel upgrades. Just a thought.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Luckily I got to test drive both a 2500 with air and 3500 with the air. I also got to drive F150 before, and F250 and F350 after.

I would rate ride quality empty from best to worst as:
F150, 2500HD, 3500HD, F250, F350.

The 2500 and 3500 were closer than the others but on some of the more uneven pavement (think rutted/and collapsing asphalt) the 2500 was better. The 2500 was gas CCSB and 3500 diesel CCLB. The gas transmission shifted much nicer so maybe that also somehow influenced my perception. I also didn't check tire pressures so that could have been a factor too as who knows where the dealer set them...my mistake.

For $1100 the 3500 would be a good payload upgrade. With USAA the insurance is only $10/month more.

Anyone have thoughts on whether I should add the snow chief group or 5th wheel prep -- no desire at this time to do either of those, but I imagine the 5th wheel prep could be done afterwards fairly easily if I or the next buyer wanted?

HomelessBound

Reaction score
I am mostly concerned that the bigger alternator is going to be a drag on the engine and sap efficiency, also not a fan of the clearance lights personally...

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Itchy trigger fingers are dangerous when talking new trucks. The day I bought mine, I dropped my wife off to shop and jokingly told her I was going to buy a new truck. An hour later I picker her ip in our new one. She certainly had a funny look on her face!

Anyway, remember......life is too short to drive a truck without that "new truck smell!"

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Definitely, luckily we are pretty safe as no one remotely options them the way I am interested. They add the many thousand dollar options I don't want and the bucket seats that I don't want. Our other car is very well appointed with adaptive cruise and heated seats/nav/etc... and some of these trucks have the full price of that car in options... So we are 100% ordering which is making me a little more deliberate...

Looking at the payload thread is looks like a 2500 w/ gas build like I want is about 2900lbs payload and the 3500 is 4700lbs payload. Decisions.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
.......Looking at the payload thread is looks like a 2500 w/ gas build like I want is about 2900lbs payload and the 3500 is 4700lbs payload. Decisions.

your situation is similar to mine...thus, i'd say go with the 3500. more payload and towing capacity on a gas engine the better. also gives you some room to grow if you ever wanted to move to a slightly larger trailer. if it's within you're budget, i think you should always get more than you need in all things related to towing performance. i understand that there's a difference in ride quality...personally, to me, not enough to forgo everything the 3500 can give you.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Solid logic.

I am pretty sure I'll go with the plow prep package and switches in case we get a property I need to plow.

The only hanging chads are
  • TTPMS - please fix this ram.
  • running boards (I want power - but they only come on Laramie Lvl2 - $4000 running boards).
  • Connect 8c with NAV to get 4g hotspot/app support. XM Guardian is freaking expensive though. That and I deplore SiriusXM for the volume of spam they have generated on every car I got. Leaning toward no.

Users who are viewing this thread