Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2020 Mega Cab Build - Bilstein Leveled on 37's

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
Wow your truck looks awesome, I am wanting to level mine too, I was thinking about 35s, but now you have me thinking 37s... Could you measure what you bed height is on a level surface to the edge of tailgate? I have an extremely large dog (150 Cane Corso Mastiff) that needs to able to jump up there...
Of course I can! I've got 41 inches to the top edge of the tailgate while down. That's the height your dog would need to be able to hop up to. I measured this with my rear AirLift airbags aired down to 5psi. Picture attached is a wide lens, so don't let it make you think it's low to the ground.

If this height works, I would highly recommend the 37's. I think they look so much better. I also attached another couple pics of the truck with the 35's that it had for one day before I pulled them off. The pic that shows the truck by itself is in my driveway with 35's, and then I made a comparison collage with the truck with 37's on top and 35's on the bottom. The comparison pics are at slightly different angles, but it gives a pretty good comparison. I also HIGHLY recommend going with a +18 or +20 offset on a 9" wide wheel. Can't stress enough how much metal cutting, trimming, and tack welding I had to do and I would not do it again. But it was one of those "well, crap, I'm this far into it now, there's no turning back" kind of situations.

Attachments

• 20200921_084328.jpg
    20200921_084328.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 20200908_174437.jpg
    20200908_174437.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 20200921_085449.jpg
    20200921_085449.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 260

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
While ur measuring what's the overall height of the truck
Just did my best measurement job while standing on the side step and sliding my hand over from the top of the black fin (I think it's the XM radio antenna) to the tape measure and I am getting 83" to the highest point.

For reference, I was able to pull it into my garage which I believe is the standard 7 foot garage. Makes sense since I cleared it by about an inch or so.

Graphxdesigns

Reaction score
Thanks for the measurements... and pics.. so if I stick with 35s and the stock rims I wont have to cut anything right? I am just about to make a huge move from Cali to Idaho and cant really buy new rims now..... but would like some better tires for snow and ice...

johanh13

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
New to the site, new to Rams, new to diesels.
Anyways, thought I'd share my 2020 Red Mega Cab progress. Bought it two weeks ago and it's coming along nicely. It's a 6.7 Cummins Night Edition, Laramie Level 2, with the 12" screen and Trailer Surround Cam set up. Also came with the power deployable running boards.
Mods I've made:
Bilstein 2.5" level kit with reservoir shocks in the front.
20x9 Hostile Sprockets +0 offset
37x12.50R20 Nitro Ridge Grapplers
Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bag kit
Wireless Compressor kit

I originally did 35x12.50's and just couldn't stand the way it looked. Tires looked too small. So the next day I pulled them off and went with the 37's instead. My wheels are a 0 offset and I like the stance of them and didn't want to go with a positive offset so I removed the fender liners and cut the pinch weld out of the fender, then hit it with a tack weld and sprayed it with frame coating. Put the liners back in, cut the plastic spots out as recommended by CJC Off-road, and zip tied back the front fender liner area. No rubbing whatsoever and I LOVE the way it looks with the 37's. It's an absolute beast. I threw a rubber bed mat in the back and plan on ordering a Retrax electric bed cover tomorrow or the next day. No sense Line-Xing a bed that's going to be covered, and things slide on Line-X after a while anyway. This thing tows my 37 foot travel trailer like a champ. Very happy so far with this truck.
I've attached some pics, let me know what you think.
Looks awesome! Is there any rubbing, did you trim anything for clearance?

Cummins3

Reaction score
Just did my best measurement job while standing on the side step and sliding my hand over from the top of the black fin (I think it's the XM radio antenna) to the tape measure and I am getting 83" to the highest point.

For reference, I was able to pull it into my garage which I believe is the standard 7 foot garage. Makes sense since I cleared it by about an inch or so.
Awsome thanx can u so s*its and giggles measure your garage opening.. that's what I am going by too and I have about 83" to the weather striping in my garage.... Please if u don't mind the actual clear opening of the garage....u have stock air bags correct???

DownShiftz

Reaction score
Very nice. I want 37’s badly but I’m towing a 14k pig around so it’s a compromise with 35’s. What gears are you running and if you change whatcha thinking?

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
Thanks for the measurements... and pics.. so if I stick with 35s and the stock rims I wont have to cut anything right? I am just about to make a huge move from Cali to Idaho and cant really buy new rims now..... but would like some better tires for snow and ice...
You should be perfectly fine with stock rims and 35's. When I had the 35's on the 20x9's for a day, there was absolutely no rubbing whatsoever.

I do not know about any possible rubbing on the inside due to the high positive offset stock wheels though.

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
Very nice. I want 37’s badly but I’m towing a 14k pig around so it’s a compromise with 35’s. What gears are you running and if you change whatcha thinking?
I've got the stock gears. Have no desire to change at this point.

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
Awsome thanx can u so s*its and giggles measure your garage opening.. that's what I am going by too and I have about 83" to the weather striping in my garage.... Please if u don't mind the actual clear opening of the garage....u have stock air bags correct???
Hey, sorry for the delay, I'm not on the site often. Just measured the garage opening and it's actually 83" tall, so my free standing measurement must have been off. Knowing this now I'd have to say the highest point on the truck is 82".

Cummins3

Reaction score
Thank you so it's a standard 7' garage door with a 83" opening like mine... Thanks again

Nick

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
New to the site, new to Rams, new to diesels.
Anyways, thought I'd share my 2020 Red Mega Cab progress. Bought it two weeks ago and it's coming along nicely. It's a 6.7 Cummins Night Edition, Laramie Level 2, with the 12" screen and Trailer Surround Cam set up. Also came with the power deployable running boards.
Mods I've made:
Bilstein 2.5" level kit with reservoir shocks in the front.
20x9 Hostile Sprockets +0 offset
37x12.50R20 Nitro Ridge Grapplers
Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bag kit
Wireless Compressor kit

I originally did 35x12.50's and just couldn't stand the way it looked. Tires looked too small. So the next day I pulled them off and went with the 37's instead. My wheels are a 0 offset and I like the stance of them and didn't want to go with a positive offset so I removed the fender liners and cut the pinch weld out of the fender, then hit it with a tack weld and sprayed it with frame coating. Put the liners back in, cut the plastic spots out as recommended by CJC Off-road, and zip tied back the front fender liner area. No rubbing whatsoever and I LOVE the way it looks with the 37's. It's an absolute beast. I threw a rubber bed mat in the back and plan on ordering a Retrax electric bed cover tomorrow or the next day. No sense Line-Xing a bed that's going to be covered, and things slide on Line-X after a while anyway. This thing tows my 37 foot travel trailer like a champ. Very happy so far with this truck.
I've attached some pics, let me know what you think.
Hot looking ride !

Reloadyour9

Reaction score
How do you like the bilstein leveling kit? I am going back and forth between that and carli

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
Love it. Rides great and looks good too. I would assume the Carli is just as good. My reason for going with the Bilstein was strictly due to availability. Carli was a month out at the time and Bilstein was only 3 days, and I didn't want to wait.

kobra

Reaction score
Of course I can! I've got 41 inches to the top edge of the tailgate while down. That's the height your dog would need to be able to hop up to. I measured this with my rear AirLift airbags aired down to 5psi. Picture attached is a wide lens, so don't let it make you think it's low to the ground.

If this height works, I would highly recommend the 37's. I think they look so much better. I also attached another couple pics of the truck with the 35's that it had for one day before I pulled them off. The pic that shows the truck by itself is in my driveway with 35's, and then I made a comparison collage with the truck with 37's on top and 35's on the bottom. The comparison pics are at slightly different angles, but it gives a pretty good comparison. I also HIGHLY recommend going with a +18 or +20 offset on a 9" wide wheel. Can't stress enough how much metal cutting, trimming, and tack welding I had to do and I would not do it again. But it was one of those "well, crap, I'm this far into it now, there's no turning back" kind of situations.

@Dmacmilitant - great looking truck!
Are you saying a +18 or so offset would mean a lot less cutting and trimming?
Thanks,

B

HD5280

Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the delay, I'm not on the site often. Just measured the garage opening and it's actually 83" tall, so my free standing measurement must have been off. Knowing this now I'd have to say the highest point on the truck is 82".
Dmac - so you’re saying you have a 2.5” level with 37s and are only 82” tall?? Thought stock height is 80” so you should have gone up like 4.5” by adding the level and increased tire size I believe?

Squatch

Reaction score
37s usually measure out to something like 35.5 to 36 when actually measured if that helps. It’s highly dependent on manufacturer and tire.

HD5280

Reaction score
37s usually measure out to something like 35.5 to 36 when actually measured if that helps. It’s highly dependent on manufacturer and tire.
Yeup, but it would still be a 4” increase even with an actual measurement of 36” tires with the 2.5” level. Fairly big difference between a height of 82” vs 84” as it relates to a 7’ garage door clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread