Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 1996 Dodge 2500 Ram 5.9 Cummins diesel automatic,

Ralph MacDonald

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the tachometer , it works when it wants . Of course the alternator will not charge when this happens, the truck engine will also not shift, the engine light comes on,, it's a nasty thing when this happens. The crank sensor has been replaced, but it did not help. I have had it to two garages here, but they could not help me. I live in a very small town in Nova Scotia, if you blink your eyes, you will miss it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ralph.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure tach isn’t also a victim of the issue, instead of the cause?

Have you checked the alternator for AC noise?

Ralph MacDonald

Reaction score
Hello again. I tried to confirm my email address, as "your" email suggested, but nothing happened. My phone number is 902 922 2708, in Nova Scotia Canada, I really do appreciate you help. Ralph.

Ralph MacDonald

Reaction score
Hello, I have received your email regarding the fact that the tachometer may be the victim of the issue , instead of the cause. Thank you , I will get this checked out,. Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread