Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate

Nate4x4

Reaction score

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Would be nice. I'm guessing it'll probably make it's way to the HD marketing in the future and will possibly be only available on higher trim levels offered by Ram.

We'll have to wait and see. Interesting thought.
Not sure if you noticed, but it will be an option on all trims of the 1500,and since the tow tech group on the HD is available to all trims...I would imagine the HD will get it on all trims too...looks like it should be fairly easy to add to the 4.5 Gen HD as well.

This is my favorite option on the 1500...been waiting awhile for it. I woulda rather had a 50/50 split though

Nate4x4

Reaction score
Not sure if you noticed, but it will be an option on all trims of the 1500,and since the tow tech group on the HD is available to all trims...I would imagine the HD will get it on all trims too...looks like it should be fairly easy to add to the 4.5 Gen HD as well.

This is my favorite option on the 1500...been waiting awhile for it. I woulda rather had a 50/50 split though
No, actually I wasn't aware that it would be available on all 1500 trims. That's new too me.

Whether Ram chooses to add this awesome feature to some trims or all put together, I think they will add an upgraded tailgate feature to the HD trucks also...in time. And who knows, it might be a completely different new design.

I agree with you, Dave, on the 50/50 split. In fact, that's the first thing I noticed that I didn't like too much. I'll get used to it though. :D

Jack B

Reaction score
Think of how useful that could be if you have a trailer hitched up. I had to buy an extended hitch (stinger) so I could open my tailgate when my travel trailer is connected. I would love this feature.

Trademan

Reaction score
What’s wrong with a regular tailgate that opens and closes?

Pronto

Reaction score
Moving the folding step from the corner towards the center is terrible because you can't use it when you drop the tailgate in the normal way.

jeff

Reaction score
This would be a fantastic option. I'm inclined to hold off on buying my new 3500 Cummins until I can get it. So convenient to be able to stand right up to the bed of your truck!

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
@redriderbob asked the Ram reps in Chicago and while they will usually say something like we don't talk about future product when asked a question like that they flat out told him no it wouldn't be coming to the HD.

I wonder if it's because the HD is still using the older box and it's not reinforced for it or something along those lines.

Longhorn

Reaction score
@redriderbob asked the Ram reps in Chicago and while they will usually say something like we don't talk about future product when asked a question like that they flat out told him no it wouldn't be coming to the HD.

I wonder if it's because the HD is still using the older box and it's not reinforced for it or something along those lines.
I would have to say that’s the reason, drawback for the older cab/bed

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

That is correct... no plans on it coming to the Heavy Duty. The 2500 (DJ) and 3500 (D2) trucks still use the 4th generation electrical system so it's a lot different to run the power to the back of box to operate the electronic assisted multifunction tailgate

Users who are viewing this thread