Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mud Flaps

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
I just got my Mopar mudflaps installed yesterday. They are heavy duty. I was able to do all 4 without removing the wheels and with a standard pop rivet tool. The rears have the little plastic "apron", I was able to remove that very easily with a needle nose pliers as it is only attached with 3 push pins. The fronts I was able to do by turning the wheels. Not having the plastic rivet tool was the toughest part. My rivet tool was not supposed to work with the size of the plastic rivets, but I was able to wedge it in, but then I had to come up with spacers between the nose of the rivet tool and the rivets to give a surface to pull on the rivet with. It worked, but not having access to the tool or anywhere to get one, other than online, I made due.

AndyS

Reaction score
I just got my Mopar mudflaps installed yesterday. They are heavy duty. I was able to do all 4 without removing the wheels and with a standard pop rivet tool. The rears have the little plastic "apron", I was able to remove that very easily with a needle nose pliers as it is only attached with 3 push pins. The fronts I was able to do by turning the wheels. Not having the plastic rivet tool was the toughest part. My rivet tool was not supposed to work with the size of the plastic rivets, but I was able to wedge it in, but then I had to come up with spacers between the nose of the rivet tool and the rivets to give a surface to pull on the rivet with. It worked, but not having access to the tool or anywhere to get one, other than online, I made due.
Harbor Freight has the plastic rivet tool. 16.99 use the 20 or 25 percent off coupons to save even more.
Would love to see pics of your install.

Thanks!

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Thats a good deal, but I live almost an hour from a Harbor Freight, so I dont go there as much as I used to when I drove past one everyday to and from work. I will try to get a couple pics, but it is supposed to rain all day today and the next couple days

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
Update on my Mopar mud flaps after a couple weeks on the truck. I would skip using the washers included in the kit. Mine are already rusted. It doesn’t seem like much but it really stands out to my eye. Visible rust on a truck only a couple months old just doesn’t sit well with me, especially when I put the mud flaps on to keep it cleaner and prevent rock chips (and therefore rust).
A59CC6CC-B21F-48A3-98C5-CD72B7515D9D.jpeg

Reaction score
Update on my Mopar mud flaps after a couple weeks on the truck. I would skip using the washers included in the kit. Mine are already rusted. It doesn’t seem like much but it really stands out to my eye. Visible rust on a truck only a couple months old just doesn’t sit well with me, especially when I put the mud flaps on to keep it cleaner and prevent rock chips (and therefore rust).
View attachment 1251
I wonder if they are coated with black oxide or if you can get something at a hardware store that would hold up better or is coated heavier. Many have said they needed a rivet tool, and some removed the tires, how did your install go and did you need the tool?

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
I wonder if they are coated with black oxide or if you can get something at a hardware store that would hold up better or is coated heavier. Many have said they needed a rivet tool, and some removed the tires, how did your install go and did you need the tool?

They are black oxide. I should have expected the problem but didn’t think about it. You could probably get by without them or go to a hardware store for better quality.

I left the front tires on but had to remove the rear for room to work. Used a harbor freight rivet tool. Took a couple hours at a leisure pace, probably could cut that in half.

AndyS

Reaction score
Maybe grab some stainless fender washers, scuff em up and paint rustoleum black?

AndyS

Reaction score
Installed the Gatorbacks today. They are a hefty mudflap both in weight and price! Had to take the tires off to do the install. Easy project though. Will get fronts as soon as funds replenish.

Attachments

• Flaps 1.JPG
    Flaps 1.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 499
  • Flaps 4.JPG
    Flaps 4.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 495
  • Flaps 3.JPG
    Flaps 3.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 492
  • Flaps 2.JPG
    Flaps 2.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 501

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
View attachment 1251
Another option for the rust is to hit the washers with some Loctite Extend rust-converter (two thin coats) then topcoat with Rustoleum.

I used it on a steel bathtub where the porcelain chipped off. Tried coating with white porcelain paint but with no luck until I used the Extend. It actually converts the rust to something that will take a topcoat.

JJ77

Reaction score
Installed the Gatorbacks today. They are a hefty mudflap both in weight and price! Had to take the tires off to do the install. Easy project though. Will get fronts as soon as funds replenish.
Andy,

The Gatorback mud flaps looks pretty good. I was eyeing them myself, but man they are spendy. Thanks for sharing.

JJ

AndyS

Reaction score
Andy,

The Gatorback mud flaps looks pretty good. I was eyeing them myself, but man they are spendy. Thanks for sharing.

JJ
I added the fronts a few days ago. Slightly cheaper because I went with the plain black plate instead of the "RAM" like the rears.

Camr

Reaction score
Are the Gatorbacks a no trim/cut install. My truck accessory shop could not source any that didn’t require cutting and trimming the plastic trim at the bottom of the fender. I’d rather pay a bit more and have an original fit. It surprised me that a large company like Weathertech does not have any custom fit for the 2019.5.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
did your truck shop remove the plastic protectors before trying to install the flaps ?

AndyS

Reaction score
No need to remove the plastic protectors. No cutting trimming required. Check out the install vids on youtube.

Attachments

• 1FCBB913-F635-43E3-87ED-05B8ECB2A75A.jpeg
    1FCBB913-F635-43E3-87ED-05B8ECB2A75A.jpeg
    827.3 KB · Views: 409
  • 143267E4-E84C-41FC-8D67-B6F74D751A36.jpeg
    143267E4-E84C-41FC-8D67-B6F74D751A36.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 413
  • A60EC6B8-46B3-4288-8DDC-6D5B518D5625.jpeg
    A60EC6B8-46B3-4288-8DDC-6D5B518D5625.jpeg
    651.5 KB · Views: 409

mwh55

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 ram tradesman crew cab does anybody have any tips on what kind of no drill mud flaps to get been looking but just don't know what to get

Camr

Reaction score
Gatorback have a complete line for the 2019. I ordered a set of 4 with the Longhorn badge. They fit the models with fender flares. Check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread