Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mother of all mothers

boxcar73

Reaction score
Gents needs some advice. You guys have 6.4s and know these trucks.

In April I had to put a new tranny in my 16 limited 4x. Did not use the tow/haul button while towing. Be sure to use this, I can explain if needed.

Put a “built” jasper unit in. First tank of gas back from trans shop engine started knocking -117k on the clock. Pampered truck, I’m the only one who works on it and is really a highway queen towing 5k pound trailers often.

After siting for three months waiting, dealer diagnosed a broken valve spring. $10k to repair due to three pistons interfacing with valves, 14k for remain engine, 15k for a new long block from Chrysler. Like most of you I choose the new engine. When I stopped by to pay my deposit for the engine and was taken in the shop to see the broken valve spring. Bolts and parts are strewn across the windshield, back seat, bed. I let it go thinking these guys are pros, give them the benefit of the doubt. If I took apart a complex project such as this, I would rely on organization to get it back together correctly but maybe I’m old fashioned

Two months later truck is ready for pick up. Paid my money happy to have my truck back. I’m so gullible sometimes and just trust folks. Got in the truck and pieces are hanging down from the instrument cluster. What? Was this truck even road tested? If this is on the inside I now wondering what under the hood looks like. Oh the horror, missing bolts galore, broken clips, brackets. Dude just picked a fight with me and didn’t know it. How many people do they send on there way with cars like this who don’t know enough about mechanics to recognize crap work?

Two weeks later they tell me now to come get the vehicle as everything is fixed. I’m sceptical based on earlier events

Even after dropping crazy money on this great truck this year, I feel like it’s never going to be the same and I won’t be able to count on it. Rational is if I could see all of these issues in a few minutes what else is really not done right? This butt head tech probably didn’t torque anything and remember all of the accessories (starter, alt etc) carry over from the old engine.

Would you guys drive it or move on to next car? I’ve sat in a few too many tow trucks this year. Thinking the dealer should buy me out of the truck. Since they did such a great job of “fixing” it they should have no problem doing so. Thanks fellas

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like a load if crap one broken valve spring would affect one piston only

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I would be looking for a New Truck. How could you trust dealer like that. I had a similar experience many years ago on my 63 Chev Panel. They took the whole thing apart to change out the Timing gear. Parts every where. Assembled without most of them.

Users who are viewing this thread