Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MISSING AND BUCKING??

Randyhut

Reaction score
Is my truck the only 6.7 that sometimes BUCKs and MISSES during acceleration? Started after the Transmission recall in Jan. of this year, doesn't toss any codes, just bucks like crap for a short time -sometimes! (for example it did it three times in 165 miles from northern Ohio back to my home north of Dayton yesterday.
Am i the only one?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
does it happen at low speed with very slight throttle input? .. or are you at any elevation?

Randyhut

Reaction score
My truck runs great 90+% of the time. Sometimes i will slow down for something, or from a stop under normal acceleration, it will start BUCKing (Jerking) and i honestly can't tell for sure if it is a miss in the engine or something in the transmission, but it is violent. , if i let up, coast for a few seconds, then gently apply throttle until it gets back up to speed, it will then run fine. (Usually it only last for a short time, a few seconds to a minute)
For example i towed my 29ft fifth wheel 165 miles yesterday, i slowed for a railroad crossing from 59 mph down to about 5-10mph and when i applied throttle it started bucking, i had to lift the throttle, let it coast for a few seconds, then slowly apply throttle and it ran just fine. ran it for another 20 miles, no issues, slowing down to 40 mph a few times for some small towns, then slowed and turned onto a i75 ramp and had to enter the interstate at 50 because half the ramp was used up with a bucking, coasting, slow run up to speed. ran it for 30 miles at 70 mph no issues.
FWIW it makes no difference with or without the trailer, does the same thing both ways.
I am at about 900 ft above sea level
NO Codes have ever been thrown by this - Been at the dealer twice so far, an i am glad that it happened to the diesel tech

Randyhut

Reaction score
Well my truck went back to the dealer this eve.. I was actually surprised when they called me to get it in earlier than we had originally scheduled. I will be glad when they can actually find the cause of my missing, and it is actually fixed. Seems that without a code and with an intermittent issue, they are struggling to find the cause.
Y78 was completed about 400 miles ago and it started missing within 100 miles.

Rooster Bob

Reaction score
Well my truck went back to the dealer this eve.. I was actually surprised when they called me to get it in earlier than we had originally scheduled. I will be glad when they can actually find the cause of my missing, and it is actually fixed. Seems that without a code and with an intermittent issue, they are struggling to find the cause.
Y78 was completed about 400 miles ago and it started missing within 100 miles.
Any update from your dealer? I got about 150 miles post-Y78 before my truck started doing the exact same thing. No codes or anything so the dealer is trying to duplicate it today.

Randyhut

Reaction score
Yes,
FWIW - my troubles started after the Transmission recall in Jan..
As of this morning, they were able to duplicate the issue for the second time, last Thursday, first was in April. They checked the EGR and cleaned the air filter, sent info to STAR and are waiting for further instructions. Why they didn't ask about replacing the air filter, who knows? They also had my CCV out 3 weeks ago when they performed the complete fuel system replacement with Y78, and didn't say anything about its filter either, (didn't mention replacing it so i doubt they did). (@29K so i know it's early)

Bob,
Let me know if they find anything and i will do the same.

Last edited:

Randyhut

Reaction score
Well they found some pinched wires somewhere in the injector harness, replaced it and have test driven it twice, SM wants to run it one more time in the morning before giving it back to me. I HOPE that is the issue and it is fixed. Will keep you posted.

Tdmva21

Reaction score
following this because I have noticed the slightest delay in acceleration at low speeds today. Was searching on here for info and this is the closest post I can find that describes what I felt.

Mine was very subtle. It happened under a slow, easy acceleration from a stop sign. I'd guess somewhere between 10-20mph it felt like the truck was skipping (3 or 4 very subtle hiccups felt from the rear) if that makes sense.

Randyhut

Reaction score
You are in a Diesel forum?

UPdate on my truck
Got it back from the dealer yesterday, they found something in the injector wiring and supposedly replaced a harness. SO FAR it hasn't missed (only a few miless driven). Will be towing a trailer some next week, so i should get a better feel of just how effective the repair was.

Randyhut

Reaction score
Well that fix didn't work. It in fact seems worse. I spoke with FCA and they wa to make yet another appointment at the dealership.
I told them that I don't care what it takes, I want it fixed! If they can't get this engine running, put a new one in! This is the fourth time in since April for this issue!
Do they ever get Cummins involved?

Randyhut

Reaction score
My 2019 is back in the dealer for the forth time, same issue, missing and bucking, mostly during acceleration now, and this time it had some inactive codes, no dash light, just stored some codes, p2228, p1193, p0402, p0300, p0303 & p0306 maybe they will find something to replace? Already had the whole fuel system replaced with the pump.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well that fix didn't work. It in fact seems worse. I spoke with FCA and they wa to make yet another appointment at the dealership.
I told them that I don't care what it takes, I want it fixed! If they can't get this engine running, put a new one in! This is the fourth time in since April for this issue!
Do they ever get Cummins involved?
no RAM buys the engines no warrenty from cummins so cummins has no part in the ram based engines

Randyhut

Reaction score
Just got the truck back for the 5th time (2 days this time)-- NEW EGR & MASS AIR FLOW sensor along with PCM and ECM per TSB-18-101-22
SEEMS to be running much better so far! MAYBE THEY GOT IT FIXED!

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Well keep us posted.
My 19 goes in for a CP3 and a few other recalls this coming Monday, mine is a Aisin trans so no trans recall but your issues doesn't seem to be transmission related.

Users who are viewing this thread