Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor spare tire rant

jsalbre

Reaction score
I dropped the spare on my Rebel for the first time yesterday to run some wiring. The truck came with 285/60R20 Goodyear DuraTracs on the regular wheels, but they put a 275/70R18 Transforce HT as a spare. Now the size is fine, as they're only .3" difference in diameter, but a Transforce HT? Doesn't the PW come with a DuraTrac on the spare? Even my 2020 Limited with the offroad package had a Transforce AT on the spare. Poor decision for an offroad oriented truck. I guess at least it's an 18" wheel so when I change the 20s out to 18s I can get 5 matching tires.

Also, while we're talking about spare tires, what genius decided to build the spare tire holder so the wheel has to mount face down? It makes it unstable on the winch, and it means if you have to put the spare on you either have to throw your regular wheel in the bed or risk marring up the front of it with the spare tire winch. On my Gladiator they set it up so the spare tire hung front up.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
My '21 PW had the good year as a spare and on a 17" rim like the others. Just it was steel and not a matching rim.

jsalbre

Reaction score
My '21 PW had the good year as a spare and on a 17" rim like the others. Just it was steel and not a matching rim.
I don't expect a matching rim, but at least an AT tire of some sort would be nice. I put a hole in a stock tire out on a trail and that Transforce HT isn't going to last very long, or be very useful for traction.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't expect a matching rim, but at least an AT tire of some sort would be nice. I put a hole in a stock tire out on a trail and that Transforce HT isn't going to last very long, or be very useful for traction.
I think the problem is they don't really expect people to take a $90-110k (canadian price) truck off-road i thought my spare was a trashforce A/T for my 19 but i may be mistaken it has the “offroad” pkg

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I dropped the spare on my Rebel for the first time yesterday to run some wiring. The truck came with 285/60R20 Goodyear DuraTracs on the regular wheels, but they put a 275/70R18 Transforce HT as a spare. Now the size is fine, as they're only .3" difference in diameter, but a Transforce HT? Doesn't the PW come with a DuraTrac on the spare? Even my 2020 Limited with the offroad package had a Transforce AT on the spare. Poor decision for an offroad oriented truck. I guess at least it's an 18" wheel so when I change the 20s out to 18s I can get 5 matching tires.

Also, while we're talking about spare tires, what genius decided to build the spare tire holder so the wheel has to mount face down? It makes it unstable on the winch, and it means if you have to put the spare on you either have to throw your regular wheel in the bed or risk marring up the front of it with the spare tire winch. On my Gladiator they set it up so the spare tire hung front up.

My 2020 Limited had an HT spare.

It now has the same brand tire as the other 4.

44Dan44

Reaction score
....just got me rethinking buying the 5th aftermarket wheel and tire when I order them :( On the other hand that's about $800 saved for something else and I can stop worrying about fitting the bigger size up there. :)

jetrinka

Reaction score
My PW came with the Duratrac spare on a steel wheel. I agree with you that the spare should be the same tire as what the truck came with.

Users who are viewing this thread