Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mega Cab vs Crew Cab

Sprink21

Reaction score
I’m torn between the two cab options. I can find tons of crew cabs around where I live with most of the options I’m after but only few mega cabs across the country are close to what I’m after. I’ve got two growing boys (12 and 9) and were the main reason for the mega cab in the first place. So what do I give sacrifice with the crew cab and is the mega cab really worth it? Thanks for the help.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m torn between the two cab options. I can find tons of crew cabs around where I live with most of the options I’m after but only few mega cabs across the country are close to what I’m after. I’ve got two growing boys (12 and 9) and were the main reason for the mega cab in the first place. So what do I give sacrifice with the crew cab and is the mega cab really worth it? Thanks for the help.
Mega cab and crew cab are almost the same seating room just 2.5” more leg room in the mega cab,( im 6’2” and fit with lots of room in the crew cab)you will have storage behind the rear seats and slightly reclining seats in the mega cab but for the little bit more room in the mega cab you lose the 8ft box which is a huge deal breaker for me.

So in my honest opinion the crew cab is plenty big enough for kids and not worth the hassle trying to source the mega cab with the options you want

DougB

Reaction score
I love my 06 mega cab. Use the behind the seat storage all the time. Not just when I have the kids in the truck either. It's about the only place in the truck that's hidden from outside view. I also like the under rear seat storage for long things like CB antenna, golf umbrella. The fold down flat seats is also convenient at times. The crew cab is much less appealing for me mainly for the behind seat storage. Going crew cab will increase the payload quite a bit vs mega cab.

I am waiting for the 2022 HDs to see what features move up, but I will not hesitate to get the mega cab again. Interestingly, though, the 1500 5th gen crew cab has 2.1" more leg room than the mega cab (45.2" vs 43.1"). I wonder if FCA will drop the mega cab once the HDs go to the 5th gen body. I for one, hope not.

If you need the long bed, go crew cab. Or get best of both worlds and shell out another ~$8k for the custom long bed conversion on a mega cab.

Pronto

Reaction score
I am waiting for the 2022 HDs to see what features move up, but I will not hesitate to get the mega cab again. Interestingly, though, the 1500 5th gen crew cab has 2.1" more leg room than the mega cab (45.2" vs 43.1"). I wonder if FCA will drop the mega cab once the HDs go to the 5th gen body. I for one, hope not.

I have a suspicion that the 5th gen HD is not going to offer a mega cab because of how large the 5th gen cab is and that it already has reclining back seats. I figured I better get a mega cab while I can. If they come out with an even better mega cab in the 5th gen, at least I'll have the option to trade up for that.

Sprink21 - If you can wait a few months to get it, you could order one and get everything you want and nothing you don't.

TJB

Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a 2020 Mega Cab. I have really been enjoying it. I have four kids and wanted the Mega Cab for the extra space. It's not our normal family vehicle, but we have been on number of trips with all 6 of us in the truck and it is quite comfortable. The kids love the back. One thing that sold me on the Mega Cab over Crew Cab is the seat in the back. It is flat across the front. The CC rear seat has an indentation in the middle, and not very comfortable. If you are putting three in the back then the Mega is a no brainer.

Attachments

• IMG_8866.jpg
    IMG_8866.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_8844.jpg
    IMG_8844.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 177

DougB

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that the 5th gen HD is not going to offer a mega cab because of how large the 5th gen cab is and that it already has reclining back seats. I figured I better get a mega cab while I can. If they come out with an even better mega cab in the 5th gen, at least I'll have the option to trade up for that.
I have the same concern but hope they keep it for at least 2022, add Uconnect 5, and kill off the CP4.2 pump. And I completely agree, a 5th gen mega cab would be awesome! Multi-function tailgate, HUD, UConnect5, CP5 (aka CP3 with improvements) and I'm a buyer!

Wondermutt

Reaction score
Have 3 boys (12,10,10) and chose Mega. Behind seat is great to store extra clothes (soccer), tools..etc. I probably would have been just as happy with the Crew.
Sometimes I think the Crew looks better proportion/ style wise but that should go away once I level and have more aggressive tires.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I dunno about the 2 and a harf more leg room calcamcalation. In my crew 7yr old kid has her feet all over the console and it drives th wife bonkers in the passenger seat! :mad: In the mega not much of a problem. I prefer the peace and quiet the 19 MEGA offers. :cool:

DougB

Reaction score
I dunno about the 2 and a harf more leg room calcamcalation. In my crew 7yr old kid has her feet all over the console and it drives th wife bonkers in the passenger seat! :mad: In the mega not much of a problem. I prefer the peace and quiet the 19 MEGA offers. :cool:
Just going by Ram’s brochure dimensions.

When I was considering the CC I found a video comparing the two cabs that’s very good and in depth. He shows the difference by him just sitting in the two cabs and there does appear to be more room than the calculation shows.

As a point of comparison, I have sat in my friends 2019 5th gen 1500 Rebel crew and can tell it has a little more room than my 06 mega, which the brochure numbers indicate.

regal2800

Reaction score
One of the biggest issues i had with my crew cab that made me order the mega cab was that the middle seat was smaller than the two main seats. reclining rear seats on the mega is also real nice for the family.

Buppies

Reaction score
Mega. Cab so much more room very comfortable glad we chose tha cab

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I needed the 8' bed, so my choice was made for me. However, I never had any concerns with the Crew vs Mega with my 2015 or 2016 trucks either. A few minutes with a hack saw or a handful of washers makes the Crew Cab behind seat storage easily accessible and while not as large of a space, has plenty of room for my needs (recovery gear, air compressor, ratchet straps, emergency clothes, blanket, sleeping bag, jumper cables, snow brush, first aid, etc...). My oldest is 6'2" and has no complaints about the leg room, even when I have my seat as far back as it will go.

kobra

Reaction score
I've seen the seat mod on youtube. I was curious how much room there actually is when the seat backs are up and in place.
Can you describe the amount of space there? For example, about how deep is it at the bottom, and about how far up the seat backs before it is less than 1"? (seems like it might run out of space about halfways up?)

I would do the mod if I thought it was worth it, but I just can't tell from the videos I've seen.
Thanks!

B

SBookless

Reaction score
I will keep buying the mega cab as long as they keep making them. I absolutely love the room behind the back seat and do not need the 8' bed. I have 3 kids, 13, 13 & 17 and it is perfect.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I've seen the seat mod on youtube. I was curious how much room there actually is when the seat backs are up and in place.
Can you describe the amount of space there? For example, about how deep is it at the bottom, and about how far up the seat backs before it is less than 1"? (seems like it might run out of space about halfways up?)

I would do the mod if I thought it was worth it, but I just can't tell from the videos I've seen.
Thanks!

B
With the contours along the back wall, I don't see it being usable down to 1", but hopefully these photos help a little.

At the bottom, below what would be level with the seating surface, there is a little more room than I could photograph, but I'm sure you could easily assess that by just lifting up the seat and feeling around.

That said, there is about 5" where things would clear the hinges (if you have a split bench) and 17" from floor up to the protrusion close to the latches, where there is about 2".

Attachments

• RearSeat2.jpg
    RearSeat2.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 68
  • RearSeat1.jpg
    RearSeat1.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 65
  • RearSeat3.jpg
    RearSeat3.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 67

cobradvm

Reaction score
I have the megacab - worth every penny. I do several interstate trips towing a car trailer, and the extra storage is well worth it. If you really need a 8' bed, then that's the only reason not to get it. I wanted the extra storage, and didn't want to get the Ramboxes.

Users who are viewing this thread