Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maximum Payload??? What Does That Mean?

1FstGPa

Reaction score
I am hoping I can explain this clearly.

The stealership's salesman gave an address to a webpage that tells me everything about the new truck I purchased. Nothing really new in this day and age, but I did catch something that is confusing and that is "maximum payload" with a whiff of a number that read 2,236 lbs. I did a little on-line research and this is where I went "Huh?" See, in my mind, I always thought that maximum payload meant the total amount placed into the truck. Such as, butts, dogs, 5th wheel, clothes and a can of beans. Instead, my research is telling me bed load and nothing more. Bed load? Is this right?

So what does this mean to you? I would hate to leave the beans behind.

BTW - I did the Intro at the New Member Introduction. Check it out if you like.

jadmt

Reaction score
Means everything in the truck that did not come from the factory including the butts and beans. The more butts the less payload

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
GVWR - curb weight = available payload. Doesn't matter where it is in/on the truck.

Rear GAWR - rear axle scale weight = approximate "bed/pin" payload available but of course some will go to the front axle with a GN or fifth wheel or proper WDH.

If you bought a 2500 and were expecting more based on the marketing numbers, you're probably going to be disappointed. If it's a diesel 2500, you'll be even more disappointed.

1FstGPa

Reaction score
Yes. It is diesel, but my ideal about payload weight is a careful approach. So much "Mis-information" on the web regarding this subject. Here, I have three answers that tell me exactly what I thought! Not the tall tales I have read elsewhere.

Appreciate greatly!

el_barto

Reaction score
As others have said , payload is somewhat “meaningless”. GVWR (10,000lbs for most 2500s...except power wagons) is the number to look at, that’s the max weight the truck can (legally) scale in at, with all the butts n’ beans in it.
The “max advertised” payload on a 2500 is 4010lbs... to get that it’s a 2wd, regular cab hemi truck base Tradesman model with no options. That does not include fluids (fuel) or butts. On a more common 4WD crew cab hemi, payload will be about 3000lbs, and with a Cummins, about 2500lbs. All the bells and whistles on higher trim models add weight too, reducing the available payload.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That does not include fluids (fuel) or butts
that does include a full tank of fuel and def and one person i have weighed my truck when i bought it with about 1/2 a tank of fuel and me in it i came up under the 7960lbs the payload would suggest i think it was 7910lbs ish if i remember right

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
that does include a full tank of fuel and def and one person i have weighed my truck when i bought it with about 1/2 a tank of fuel and me in it i came up under the 7960lbs the payload would suggest i think it was 7910lbs ish if i remember right
Payload is with full fluids (oil, fuel, def) with all options which were installed from the factory, nothing more.
The max towing number they spec is where they take into account one light person and a hitch, I believe.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Payload is with full fluids (oil, fuel, def) with all options which were installed from the factory, nothing more.
The max towing number they spec is where they take into account one light person and a hitch, I believe.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
They include one person of 150lbs in the payload

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Interesting. So payload sticker in jam included full fluids + 150 pounds for driver.

anyone ever find a resource for increasing GVWR on the 2500? Since we all *know* it should be 12,000....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Interesting. So payload sticker in jam included full fluids + 150 pounds for driver.

anyone ever find a resource for increasing GVWR on the 2500? Since we all *know* it should be 12,000....
I have been working at it trying to fined a shop that is licensed to legally up it... i have been talking to a few shops and they are willing to look at it but they are not close to me, at this point i have overloaded the sticker by 1400lbs ish that put me at 3400 of load in it 800lbs of plow on the front the rest was the 5th wheel hitch my plow ballast weight and the 5thwheel pin weight, it still was not squatting it was a bit over level just the factory coils

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
I have been working at it trying to fined a shop that is licensed to legally up it... i have been talking to a few shops and they are willing to look at it but they are not close to me, at this point i have overloaded the sticker by 1400lbs ish that put me at 3400 of load in it 800lbs of plow on the front the rest was the 5th wheel hitch my plow ballast weight and the 5thwheel pin weight, it still was not squatting it was a bit over level just the factory coils
Makes sense. The Denali 2500 is around 12k, giving GMC friends bragging rights. Be great to pay RAM a few bucks for the 12k sticker. I’m sure the Cummins 2500 can do more than 12k based on the non-HO 3500‘s GVWR.

how did you start finding options? What do you google?

CdnHO

Reaction score
The payload/tow rating page is rather interesting but can also be misleading. Before my truck was built using the configuration settings it showed a payload of 5900 pounds. Once built, I put the VIN in and the payload dropped by almost 800 pounds. All those options added up. LOL The tow rating stayed the same. Since I ordered the max tow I assume that the curb weight includes the 30K hitch, the bigger fuel tank would include almost 20 gallons more. The rest of the options were mainly electrical stuff. I also assume that this point the VIN result will be what is on the door sticker.

CdnHO

Reaction score
According to SAE: https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/005/sae.j1100.2001.html

3.2.1 CURB WEIGHT—The weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment only: maximum capacity of engine fuel, oil, and coolant. For heavy trucks, the weight does not include engine fuel.

Heavy trucks are those that are over 10,000 pounds GVWR. So it appears that it does NOT include the driver and the 3500s are considered "Heavy Trucks".

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Makes sense. The Denali 2500 is around 12k, giving GMC friends bragging rights. Be great to pay RAM a few bucks for the 12k sticker. I’m sure the Cummins 2500 can do more than 12k based on the non-HO 3500‘s GVWR.

how did you start finding options? What do you google?
I called some shops that are certified coach builders they said they can do it aslong as things check out and the weakest link is what it will be rated to that would be the axles at 6k each they can bring it up to 12k if i were to axle swap it they can go to the next weakest link so on and so forth

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
According to SAE: https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/005/sae.j1100.2001.html

3.2.1 CURB WEIGHT—The weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment only: maximum capacity of engine fuel, oil, and coolant. For heavy trucks, the weight does not include engine fuel.

Heavy trucks are those that are over 10,000 pounds GVWR. So it appears that it does NOT include the driver and the 3500s are considered "Heavy Trucks".
Thats industry standard rating not all manufactures go by that like gm uses a base model but with 150lbs driver ram uses the vehicle built to spec with all fluids and one 150lbs person ford does not use a person in the payload rating

Attachments

• AA0ADA13-03DC-4924-AC51-8E50403E3E09.png
    AA0ADA13-03DC-4924-AC51-8E50403E3E09.png
    596 KB · Views: 18

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

No. Payload isn’t + anything.

payload is how much s**t you can load into the naked truck before you hit GVWR of 10k (or whatever your gvwr is)

Yourself, beans, tow straps, adult toys, winches, the family pet, all of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread