Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max Tow Package

• Thread starter Deleted member 80
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80

So, I am still contemplating a 3500 Dually vs 4500 C&C. On the C&C builder when you click on Max Tow it spells out(attached)that the Aisin gets different calibration. On the pickup side of things it does not say the same. I emailed FCA, and they said, " while the drop down information tab does not generate on the 3500 model, the functionality and properties of this feature remains the same".

The reason I raise the question, is that the Max Tow on the pickups forces you into the Mopar fifth wheel hitch. First my current toyhauler, and flatbed are goosenecks, and I have no fifth wheel trailers, plus if I do get a fifth wheel I would prefer the B&W Companion for the factory puck system. So every dealer I ask says just cherry pick the gooseneck prep, 4.10 gears, etc, and it's all the same, but I am not so certain.

Any thoughts?Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 7.59.39 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
To get the max tow numbers you have to use a gooseneck trailer...the 5th wheel will not hit the 35,100 lbs.

The 5th wheel prep is also gooseneck prep.

I am really not sure what the dealer is saying to you...

D

Deleted member 80

Thanks, I get all that. My question is whether the Aisin programming is different with Max Tow on the 3500 dually pickup, like the C&C clearly states. I have reveived conflicting information.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I misread your question, but am also still a bit confused.
My guess is the 3500 only has 3.73 or 4.10 available. The 4.44 the C&C has probably required a different program where as the 3.73 to 4.10 does not.

Or it may just be that they are explaining the calibration for the transmission is for towing.(not racing, or mileage, or high speed)

As how the 2500 has a bit sportier calibration because people think the 850 lb ft is to make it a race car.

Hope you get what I mean.

Hope that is atleast closer to your question.

D

Deleted member 80

Yes, my focus is on the Aisin calibration for pulling heavy. The gear ratios are part of the package, but not my focus. You can get a 4500 with 4.10 gears, but if you select Max Tow it mandates 4.44. Likewise, you can get a 3500 C&C with 4.44 gears. On the 5500 it gets you 4.88 gears.

On a 3500 dually pickup with 4.10 gears I would prefer to not be forced into the Mopar fifth wheel hitch, but if the Aisin calibration is truly different with Max Tow I would get the hitch and try to sell it. It is not clear that if I were to order a dually with Cummins HO, Aisin, 4.10s, Gooseneck Prep, etc. whether the Aisin calibration is identical as it would be if the truck was ordered with Max Tow.

jakalafus

Reaction score
Yes, my focus is on the Aisin calibration for pulling heavy. The gear ratios are part of the package, but not my focus. You can get a 4500 with 4.10 gears, but if you select Max Tow it mandates 4.44. Likewise, you can get a 3500 C&C with 4.44 gears. On the 5500 it gets you 4.88 gears.

On a 3500 dually pickup with 4.10 gears I would prefer to not be forced into the Mopar fifth wheel hitch, but if the Aisin calibration is truly different with Max Tow I would get the hitch and try to sell it. It is not clear that if I were to order a dually with Cummins HO, Aisin, 4.10s, Gooseneck Prep, etc. whether the Aisin calibration is identical as it would be if the truck was ordered with Max Tow.
I ordered the 3500 DRW with HO/aisim, 4.10 gear and the gooseneck/5ver prep. It is the same but it saved me almost 800.00 to not get the max tow as i don't need the hitch. I will post my sticker if they ever get to building the truck.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I am only guessing, because i do not know for sure.

But the transmission calibration may be different, as I believe the engine outputs are different as well, but both will be calibrated for max tow, for the specific truck.

As far as the Max Tow package...that is all it is, a package to give you all the stuff you need to tow at max.

Just like the snow cheif package...you get all the stuff at a savings, but can get it seperate as well, if you do not want it all.

The truck is still max tow regardless, the package just makes all the stuff cheaper and factory installed. But if you have the hitch and/or setup already or only need one of the options...skip the package.

Bottom line, the Max tow package has nothing to do with the capability of the truck...just gives the equipment you need, and gives you the axle ratio for cheaper...but you can get it without getting the package.

Or I am completely wrong...I learn something new everyday. And build n price often gives information that is presented out of context adding toany confusion. Just As does reading typed words trying to have a discussion out of real time.

archer75

Reaction score
The max tow package is also a larger axle on the 3500. 9.25” aam in the front and 11.5” in the rear are standard with a 12” in the rear with 4.5” axle tubes with the max tow package.
The package is also larger brakes. 358mm in the rear is standard with 365mm on the max tow package. The video was from tfltruck and he was speaking with one of the ram engineers. He did say this was on the 3500.

Last edited:

regal2800

Reaction score
The max tow package is also a larger axle on the 3500. 9.25” aam in the front and 11.5” in the rear are standard with a 12” in the rear with 4.5” axle tubes with the max tow package.
The package is also larger brakes. 358mm in the rear is standard with 365mm on the max tow package. The video was from tfltruck and he was speaking with one of the ram engineers. He did say this was on the 3500.

The larger axle is available when you get the High output 3500. the max tow is availble only on the DRW with 4.10 gears. The 12" rear axle is available on any HO 3500.

Last edited:

jakalafus

Reaction score
I ordered the 3500 DRW with HO/aisim, 4.10 gear and the gooseneck/5ver prep. It is the same but it saved me almost 800.00 to not get the max tow as i don't need the hitch. I will post my sticker if they ever get to building the truck.
Same here.

Zinga

Reaction score
A couple months ago, I read a comment online from 2019 3500 HO owner stating that the max tow package on the 2019 seemed to have better gearing than the 2018 3500 HO with max tow. So, I asked a local dealer to check into it. I was wondering if the 2019 AISIN had a different 6th gear ratio. The dealer called me back and the 6th gear is the same. But there is a difference in transmission programming for 5th/6th gear (tow/haul mode) between the 2018 HO with max tow and 2019 HO with max tow.

thestuarts

Reaction score
The larger axle is available when you get the High output 3500. the max tow is availble only on the DRW with 4.10 gears. The 12" rear axle is available on any HO 3500.

The head of engineering stated the Max tow package comes with bigger rear brakes. See the 8:30 mark in this video:

The larger brakes in the max tow package are mentioned at the 8:30 mark in this video:

regal2800

Reaction score
The head of engineering stated the Max tow package comes with bigger rear brakes. See the 8:30 mark in this video:

The larger brakes in the max tow package are mentioned at the 8:30 mark in this video:
The rear axle on the SRW HO is still the same AAM 12 whether its dually or srw. I have my build sheet to verify the aam12.

thestuarts

Reaction score
The rear axle on the SRW HO is still the same AAM 12 whether its dually or srw. I have my build sheet to verify the aam12.

The brakes connect to the axle, but the engineer said the rotors are larger with the Max Tow package.

Zinga

Reaction score
The brakes connect to the axle, but the engineer said the rotors are larger with the Max Tow package.
If the same calipers are used and are offset for larger diameter rotors, it's an easy way to increase the braking force at the rear.

regal2800

Reaction score
And you have the max tow package?
No, i do not have the max tow. I have the HO SRW. i was referring to an earlier post of yours that insinuated the larger axle was only available on the max tow trucks. The larger axle is available when you get the HO cummins.

archer75

Reaction score
No, i do not have the max tow. I have the HO SRW. i was referring to an earlier post of yours that insinuated the larger axle was only available on the max tow trucks. The larger axle is available when you get the HO cummins.
Just repeating what the video stated. They were very clear.

Don-T

Reaction score
I just reviewed my build sheet. It says I have a Crew cab SRW with 6.7HO engine. It also lists the Aisin transmission and 12” rear axle with anti slip and 3.73 ratio. It shows nothing regarding brakes, or what size the axle tubes are.

Users who are viewing this thread