Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map update

Viper67

Reaction score
I have a 2021 with the 12”. I checked and no map update. Also checked for 2019/2020. Is this correct, they are not doing map updates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buppies

Reaction score
Be interesting to hear lots of roads not recognized

Viper67

Reaction score
They have not offered a map update for any 12” screens since they came out on the 1500s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank

Reaction score
Google maps on Android Auto is constantly updated for free. I did a $200 map update on my old F150, and had to buy a map card for my wife's car after I turned the Nav option on for a similarly high price. Both were clearly at least 2 years out of date in my area at publish time.

Screw Nav updates.

dm6

Reaction score
I am curious about map updates as well. I guess since I have always used Google Maps on my phone which is always up to date, I assumed this would be that way too. Does the built-in nav really not update on its own? And can you only update once a year or so and does it cost?

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I am curious about map updates as well. I guess since I have always used Google Maps on my phone which is always up to date, I assumed this would be that way too. Does the built-in nav really not update on its own? And can you only update once a year or so and does it cost?
The 2022s with UConnect 5 should offer OTA ( Over the Air) nav updates. Previous versions of Uconnect didn’t offer that apparently.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Just received an email a new map update is ready for my 2020 Uconnect. I didn't realize it cost $149 for the update. Anyone else paying for the latest map update?

Warweasel

Reaction score
Just received an email a new map update is ready for my 2020 Uconnect. I didn't realize it cost $149 for the update. Anyone else paying for the latest map update?
I've never paid for a map update. The fact that a car company, especially one that offers Carplay/Android Auto, is audacious enough to ask for $150 to get an already outdated product just flabbergasts me. I went round and round with them a few years ago when in my 2016 3500, an INTERSTATE highway (I-22), not some secondary road, that had been designated in 2012 and was completely finished before the truck was built. was not on the map. I wanted an update and they refused. So no, not paying for it. Ever.

dm6

Reaction score
So are the maps on these things always old then until there is a new update? I remember the 12" saying it comes with 5 years of traffic and navigation, or something like that. What is that all about then?

BAT3500

Reaction score
I also got this email in the last few days for my20 tuck. They are not upfront about the cost you apparently have work thru several layers to start the purchasing process before you get the price.
Its a hard no go for me, various phone apps are far more useful to me when traveling and most are either free or minimum cost. As a bonus the phone apps are constantly updated and someone in the truck can search for new destinations as needed while the truck is rolling.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I think the 22+ with UC5 and TomTom will have free OTA updates, thought I read that anyway.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
So are the maps on these things always old then until there is a new update? I remember the 12" saying it comes with 5 years of traffic and navigation, or something like that. What is that all about then?
I thought the same.

Herrred

Reaction score
I have a 2021 with the 12”. I checked and no map update. Also checked for 2019/2020. Is this correct, they are not doing map updates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Viper67, from my experience with the Ram Uconnect Nav (6 joyous years now), they release updates about 2 years or so. $149 seems to be the most common price with a few snagging a deal for $99. Of those few lucky souls, most of what I have read in my previous research is that it's not worth the $$ paid. As you probably have read, most Uconnect owners will advise to stick with AA or ACP, or use a separate device with lifetime updates for free (TomTom, Navigon, etc). Downside is you don't have the benefit of the directions displaying in your HUD or EVIC. Even if you do decide to update because you have money to burn, the process of getting the update is very counterintuitive. When I was trying to update my 2016 1500 ED a few years ago (No AA/ACP), I gave up after about the 3rd time I was redirected to another site in the overly complicated process. I then drowned my frustrations in BBQ and Pilsner. I've only recently recovered by moving up to a 3500.

It sucks that FCA has such a great platform with the Uconnect, but then make you sell a kidney and travel a interweb goat trail to update them. I like my Ram NAV, but even the discounted $99 is too big a brick for me to eat. Best of luck in your search.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Viper67, from my experience with the Ram Uconnect Nav (6 joyous years now), they release updates about 2 years or so. $149 seems to be the most common price with a few snagging a deal for $99. Of those few lucky souls, most of what I have read in my previous research is that it's not worth the $$ paid. As you probably have read, most Uconnect owners will advise to stick with AA or ACP, or use a separate device with lifetime updates for free (TomTom, Navigon, etc). Downside is you don't have the benefit of the directions displaying in your HUD or EVIC. Even if you do decide to update because you have money to burn, the process of getting the update is very counterintuitive. When I was trying to update my 2016 1500 ED a few years ago (No AA/ACP), I gave up after about the 3rd time I was redirected to another site in the overly complicated process. I then drowned my frustrations in BBQ and Pilsner. I've only recently recovered by moving up to a 3500.

It sucks that FCA has such a great platform with the Uconnect, but then make you sell a kidney and travel a interweb goat trail to update them. I like my Ram NAV, but even the discounted $99 is too big a brick for me to eat. Best of luck in your search.
It's not unusual for car makers to require we pay for nav updates but doesn't mean we have to like it. Especially for a 2020 truck and paying for an update 1 year later seems frugal on FCA's part.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Its not frugal if they dont get any orders....

Sleepyweasel

Reaction score
Android Auto and Waze. Real time traffic along with locations of speed traps.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I recently got that update notice. If it was $25 I might pull the trigger. I prefer Android Auto. I do run the Uconnect Map sometimes if I just want to see street names around me.

dm6

Reaction score
Android Auto and Waze. Real time traffic along with locations of speed traps.
I agree. While I want to like the built in nav because it is kind of nice to have the directions show up in the EVIC, it just looks so bad compared to Google and a couple times I used it, I had no idea why it took me a route it had planned!

Users who are viewing this thread