Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lumpskie's Prospector (Diesel Power Wagon) Build

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I actually got out and wheeled the Prospector last weekend. I wasn't prepared at all... I was hanging out with the family up north a bit. A buddy of mine talked me into going out with him and a small group. (2 Tacomas, an XJ Cherokee and a Gladiator) I didn't even air down, just went out and wheeled with them. The Ram did great. I only had to re-attempt 1 obstacle before clearing it the whole day. We got just a couple short videos from the day.

Here is a bit of a rocky section. The Ram is so big, it's hard to see the terrain in the video. But, it was a will with bowling ball sized rocks. (nothing extreme but about as rocky as I plan to get with this rig)

This one is a mud hole. Again, the Prospector made it look easier than it was... and it cleared a good track for the Jeeps running with me.

Sorry about the Rumble videos not embedding on this site.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I was up in VT wheeling with a bunch of jeeps, tacos and 4runners about 2 years ago. I remember the lead guy talking about how tricky sections of this specific trail were and we needed to pick our lines carefully. I basically just walked up the section in less than a quarter the time the 4 runner took and the guy goes "well I guess everything is easy for that goat". These trucks are really capable off road and their only real downsides are wheelbase, turning radius and width for new england trails.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
My CP3 arrived at 2D Diesel!

sFOT189h.jpg

ehlJ2jlh.jpg

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I want mine! When do you go in for the install?
Scheduled for June 8th. Dave could have gotten me in earlier, but I have some stuff I need to work around on my end. I can't wait to have this done and just enjoy the truck without thinking about it.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Same dude, same. I was hoping mine would be in the same batch as yours, but here I wait…

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Thanks to 2D Diesel, my rig is now powered with the S&S CP3!

Old CP4 is the one with the black top:
I7bHDCGh.jpg

kgpCj74h.jpg

Installed:

uY79Ih3h.jpg

iHAIEtgh.jpg

David, at 2D, gave me a couple pictures of my rig next to @UglyViking 's cool rig:

Nko0yVah.jpg

Vip0tgTh.jpg

I submitted the reimbursement form with Ram... I'll update here as things progress. Hopefully, they pay me back without too much issue.

nater

Reaction score
For the single power wagon arm - what did you need other than the arm? Bushings? If you have the part numbers handy, that would be amazing!

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Yep, @nater . Like what @Darkone said, I just ordered the arm. It came with all the bushings installed. Simply unbolt the stock arm, bolt the PW arm in and get it aligned!

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Here's a mod that might be cool or might be a total fail. I got together with the owner of Tentsmiths in Gonic NH. I had an idea for a tent that would integrate with my topper. Together, we worked out the details of the design. They are booked out months in advance, so I've been waiting to get started. Yesterday, we got started by putting some UV proof, industrial velcro on the topper. This will be the interface with the tent to enable it go from a free standing tent to "garage mode" where it interfaces with the truck.

Stephan (the owner) took the topper into his shop and did some quick measurements
HwAWhXEh.jpg

Then he made quick work of the sewing
H2PGFj2h.jpg

Here's what the velcro strips look like on the truck. ( you can't even tell they are there from the side)
gPxbz2sh.jpg

I can't wait to get the canvas part of the project started.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Something that has been in the works for a while finally came in. I'm one of those people that has used roof top tents, ground tents as well as a truck bed as a tent. I wanted something that took elements of each to make a camping setup for my family of 4. The idea is a canvas hot tent which attaches to my truck, so I can sleep in the bed. I teamed up with a local tent maker to put my idea into action. We used industrial velcro to attach the tent to my truck and adapted a classic canvas design (called a Baker tent) for the form. I used a 2x4 as 2x2s with solid steel rod to create the tent frame... fitting the rod into grommets built into the tent. The material is a chemically impregnated canvas to provide water as well as fire resistance.

Here's the prototype set up in the yard:
WMhSvkqh.jpg

Here's a quick view of the inside without tying everything together:
ILQ3dbZh.jpg

Close ups of the grommets and toggles
FjfFoIwh.jpg

2ggFkYFh.jpg

Once I got the frame as well as setup figured out, it was time to take it out and give it a quick test. I'll post on that in a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread