Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lumpskie's Prospector (Diesel Power Wagon) Build

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I got a message from Soft Topper. The email says that the Topper I ordered is out of stock and that my expected delivery is on or before 2-21. I'm a little bummed that it took a week for them to tell me this. When I bought a Soft Topper for my old Tacoma, I drove over to their manufacturing facility. The company was only a few employees but they walked me through their R&D department as well as manufacturing (which I'm sure is outsourced now). They had my topper in stock and just handed me the box. I guess business can't operate like that these days. I'll wait for the topper... the delay isn't a huge deal. I'm just disappointed that the customer focused small business that I dealt with in the past isn't there anymore.

In less whiny news... I bought more recovery stuff from AEV. I know that AEV stuff is expensive but it is quality stuff. As it turns out, they use Lift-It equipment, out of California, for a lot of their gear. Back in 2006, I actually was trained on Accessory Hoist Equipment by Lift-It at their bay area facility. They make some massive hoisting equipment for lifting and pulling, used in shipping and aerospace. Long story short, I got ready to put an order in with Lift-It directly and discovered that the price, after shipping, was almost the same as buying from AEV.

I bought 1 more soft shackle and 2 standard shackles

CaYjWQwh.jpg

My recovery gear came with the standard Lift-It recovery calculation sheet.

N2Vj05Oh.jpg

I also like that you get working load limits and minimum breaking strength on their straps

KmAdlYoh.jpg

I don't know that I've ever seen a tree strap with a listed WLL. It is actually kind of handy in this case... with my Warn 16.5 Ti, I would definitely want to keep the tree strap in a bridle rather than a choker configuration because the WLL is so low.

qPA54hUh.jpg

I thought that was interesting.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the topper. I'm scared that delays across the board will become the norm for the next 2 years, so I'd just settle into it and try and order well before you "need" anything.

As for the straps, I really dig that they are different colors and have both MBS and WLL on them. What is your storage plan for recovery gear and such?

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the topper. I'm scared that delays across the board will become the norm for the next 2 years, so I'd just settle into it and try and order well before you "need" anything.

As for the straps, I really dig that they are different colors and have both MBS and WLL on them. What is your storage plan for recovery gear and such?

You are right on ordering before you really need something. I also agree that things are probably going to get worse before they get better in that regard.

For recovery gear storage, my wife bought me the AEV recovery bag for Christmas. It's actually pretty nice. I put the straps and soft shackles in the main pocket. On one side there is a large pocket that fits the snatch block really well. On the other side, there are 2 half size pockets that fit my bow shackles really well. That's all my gear for now. But, I am considering some round rope or a round rope sling as an addition in the future.

Here's the bag:

el_barto

Reaction score
In less whiny news... I bought more recovery stuff from AEV. I know that AEV stuff is expensive but it is quality stuff. As it turns out, they use Lift-It equipment, out of California, for a lot of their gear. Back in 2006, I actually was trained on Accessory Hoist Equipment by Lift-It at their bay area facility. They make some massive hoisting equipment for lifting and pulling, used in shipping and aerospace. Long story short, I got ready to put an order in with Lift-It directly and discovered that the price, after shipping, was almost the same as buying from AEV.

CaYjWQwh.jpg

N2Vj05Oh.jpg

I also like that you get working load limits and minimum breaking strength on their straps

KmAdlYoh.jpg

I don't know that I've ever seen a tree strap with a listed WLL. It is actually kind of handy in this case... with my Warn 16.5 Ti, I would definitely want to keep the tree strap in a bridle rather than a choker configuration because the WLL is so low.

qPA54hUh.jpg

I use tree straps that are made for the rigging industry and repurposed for offroad recovery, they always have marked WLL in vertical, basket, and choker configuration. Using a tree strap/sling in choker configuration kneecaps it’s WLL, always use basket configuration.
The rigging industry uses 5:1 Safety Factor for overhead lifting on WLL… In many instances I feel comfortable pushing my gear closer to 3:1 or 2:1 safety Factor because I know where my “fuse” is….the winch, and it will simply run out of steam, which is a “safe” fail. That said, once you start using pulleys for mechanical advantage it is easy to put very high loads on equipment like shackles, pulleys, and tree straps

Last edited:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I got a message from Soft Topper. The email says that the Topper I ordered is out of stock and that my expected delivery is on or before 2-21. I'm a little bummed that it took a week for them to tell me this. When I bought a Soft Topper for my old Tacoma, I drove over to their manufacturing facility. The company was only a few employees but they walked me through their R&D department as well as manufacturing (which I'm sure is outsourced now). They had my topper in stock and just handed me the box. I guess business can't operate like that these days. I'll wait for the topper... the delay isn't a huge deal. I'm just disappointed that the customer focused small business that I dealt with in the past isn't there anymore.

CaYjWQwh.jpg

N2Vj05Oh.jpg

KmAdlYoh.jpg

qPA54hUh.jpg

I have that Orange strap. It is a nice kinetic strap. I believe it has 20% stretch so works great for yanking a vehicle out. I don't use it with my winch though. I use the poly straps if needed.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I use tree straps that are made for the rigging industry and repurposed for offroad recovery, they always have marked WLL in vertical, basket, and choker configuration. Using a tree strap/sling in choker configuration kneecaps it’s WLL, always use basket configuration.
The rigging industry uses 5:1 Safety Factor for overhead lifting on WLL… In many instances I feel comfortable pushing my gear closer to 3:1 or 2:1 safety Factor because I know where my “fuse” is….the winch, and it will simply run out of steam, which is a “safe” fail. That said, once you start using pulleys for mechanical advantage it is easy to put very high loads on equipment like shackles, pulleys, and tree straps
Yep, industry standard is 5:1 for overhead hoisting equipment. It looks like AEV is using 4:1 from WLL to MBS for their recovery gear. I am ok with that. I'd probably feel ok about 3:1, like you. But, I do take note of the limit of the tree strap versus my winch. Even if I use a bridle config the WLL would be 12,000 lbs and the winch is rated at 16,500. The MBS is 24000 in a straight configuration which would be about 48000 in a perfect bridle. That would put us with a safety factor of 2.9:1 to the winch with a bridal. In a straight (vertical) configuration, the safety factor would only be 1.45:1. In reality, I doubt I'll ever remotely approach these limits. But, I am an idiot, so I should probably take note.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I have that Orange strap. It is a nice kinetic strap. I believe it has 20% stretch so works great for yanking a vehicle out. I don't use it with my winch though. I use the poly straps if needed.
I agree. I don't use kinetic recovery straps as winch extension straps. I also have to admit that I've never used my ARB winch extension strap... ever. So, on the Ram, I'm probably just going to keep the tree saver and the kinetic strap in there for now. (just wait... I'll need a winch extension strap next week now)

el_barto

Reaction score
I agree. I don't use kinetic recovery straps as winch extension straps. I also have to admit that I've never used my ARB winch extension strap... ever. So, on the Ram, I'm probably just going to keep the tree saver and the kinetic strap in there for now. (just wait... I'll need a winch extension strap next week now)
I have a 75ft winch rope extension (7/16” Amsteel) …much easier to put away than a long flat strap and can be shortened to length with an X-lock.

el_barto

Reaction score
Are those shackles just painted Van Beest Green Pin shackles? Looks like it says Holland on the Pin

Kind of silly if they are relabeling them, but Van Beest makes good stuff. Better than Crosby IMO.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Are those shackles just painted Van Beest Green Pin shackles? Looks like it says Holland on the Pin

Kind of silly if they are relabeling them, but Van Beest makes good stuff. Better than Crosby IMO.
Good eye. Yep, I think they are. My bet is they buy them raw and zinc coat before rebranding as AEV. I had the Van Beest shackles in my cart from Lift-It but when I compared the price with shipping, they both came out equal. AEV is so fast in shipping items that I just went with them.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I want to order fuel filters and found them at Geno's Garage. Is that the best place to get them? Also... would you guys recommend the tight fitting 28mm socket or any other specialty tools for both oil changes and fuel filter changes?

flan

Reaction score
I want to order fuel filters and found them at Geno's Garage. Is that the best place to get them? Also... would you guys recommend the tight fitting 28mm socket or any other specialty tools for both oil changes and fuel filter changes?
Genos is a great shop. I got my socket from them, also the filter cap if you plan on changing the filter through the wheel well. The filter will be roughly half full of oil when you go to remove it. The cap screws on so oil isn’t spilled while pulling it out sideways.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Thanks, made an order from Genos. I should have check here first... I didn't order the oil filter cap. Knowing me, I'll change the oil, spill on myself... then order it.

flan

Reaction score
Thanks, made an order from Genos. I should have check here first... I didn't order the oil filter cap. Knowing me, I'll change the oil, spill on myself... then order it.
You can take out the hose going to the air filter (2 hose clamps) and pull the filter up through the top. Others have dropped the filter into a gallon ziplock bag and pulled it through the fender well opening as well.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
This sounds a lot like the 1HDT diesel on my Land Cruiser.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Stupid question... but, here I go.

I am just going to get my radius arm installed at a local shop. Looking under the truck, there are a couple of little bolts that appear to locate the radius arm at the mount to the frame. If we leave the other arm attached for the swap, is there any reason that I would need an alignment when we're done? (not sure what those little bolts do)

EDIT: I took another look and grabbed a picture. It looks like these bolts are for my caster drop down brackets... I'm thinking we can just leave them alone... right?

84K3otEh.jpg

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
Stupid question... but, here I go.

I am just going to get my radius arm installed at a local shop. Looking under the truck, there are a couple of little bolts that appear to locate the radius arm at the mount to the frame. If we leave the other arm attached for the swap, is there any reason that I would need an alignment when we're done? (not sure what those little bolts do)

EDIT: I took another look and grabbed a picture. It looks like these bolts are for my caster drop down brackets... I'm thinking we can just leave them alone... right?

84K3otEh.jpg
You don't need to touch those bolts. AEV uses the same radius arm drop bracket for their standard 37" tire version and their 40" tire version. Their drop brackets are two piece and the bolts hold them together in addition to the through bolt. The 40" tire kit has a small spacer that goes between the rear of the bracket and the c-channel metal piece to move the axle further forward to prevent interference with the firewall.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
You don't need to touch those bolts. AEV uses the same radius arm drop bracket for their standard 37" tire version and their 40" tire version. Their drop brackets are two piece and the bolts hold them together in addition to the through bolt. The 40" tire kit has a small spacer that goes between the rear of the bracket and the c-channel metal piece to move the axle further forward to prevent interference with the firewall.
Ah ha, that explains it. So, no alignment of any kind would be required then, right?

Wilder

Reaction score
interested to see if you get any/how much improvement in handling/articulation/ride with this RA upgrade... staying tuned

UglyViking

Reaction score
Ah ha, that explains it. So, no alignment of any kind would be required then, right?
That mostly depends on you. Generally speaking, any time you change out a major component like that you should get an alignment as there are minor differences between parts, fitment, etc. that can cause it to not be spot on. If you don't care all that much I'd wager you'll be fine, but if you want it perfect get it aligned.

Users who are viewing this thread