Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lumpskie's Prospector (Diesel Power Wagon) Build

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I have been running Yokos for years on my trucks. They quit making the old ATS I ran on my 2007. They did very well in the rain and did ok in the snow the few times my truck saw it. I only have about 7K or so on the X-ATs. So far they have done great offroad. They do well in the sand and hard pack. When driven fast, they feel controlled without a lot of surprises. I haven't had them in big rocks and I avoid mud if possible. I really like the road ride. They are good in the rain, but you can break them loose a little easier than the old AT so in my opinion the old ATS were better rain tires. These definitely have a more aggressive tread being a hybrid tire. I haven't had them in the snow.

I will probably stick with the X-ATs. I may go to the 13.50" flavor though next time.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I've got tires! Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT in 37x12.5 R17

dlauSYSh.jpg

They are so much more ... "luggy" than the pictures show... I like 'em.

yXrjd6Rh.jpg

You can see they still have quite a few sipes... hoping for good snow traction

I5wVoleh.jpg

These are the beefiest sidewall lugs I have ever seen:

WadWA5Vh.jpg

benu99Ah.jpg

The sidewall itself is very thick too... it doesn't taper down from the bead area much at all... and that is thicker than my thumb:
iob93kPh.jpg

Um0wr63h.jpg

Comparison to BFGs on the truck:
JmBhkQBh.jpg

The lugs look similarly spaced to the 35" duratracs on the Land Cruiser:
RhhcPGUh.jpg

TMGH3qkh.jpg

Uninflated, the MTs are bigger than the BFGs with 50psi

tjZ48Cth.jpg

pAz1A5Jh.jpg

Tread comparison

cYf2rF9h.jpg

Ok... enough tire nerd stuff. I really am excited to see how these tires do in the snow out here...

UglyViking

Reaction score
BFGs are known for running small so not super surprised by that. Those sidewall lugs do look pretty insane. I'm interested in hearing what you think of them.

flan

Reaction score
I've got tires! Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT in 37x12.5 R17

dlauSYSh.jpg

They are so much more ... "luggy" than the pictures show... I like 'em.

yXrjd6Rh.jpg

You can see they still have quite a few sipes... hoping for good snow traction

I5wVoleh.jpg

These are the beefiest sidewall lugs I have ever seen:

WadWA5Vh.jpg

benu99Ah.jpg

The sidewall itself is very thick too... it doesn't taper down from the bead area much at all... and that is thicker than my thumb:
iob93kPh.jpg

Um0wr63h.jpg

Comparison to BFGs on the truck:
JmBhkQBh.jpg

The lugs look similarly spaced to the 35" duratracs on the Land Cruiser:
RhhcPGUh.jpg

TMGH3qkh.jpg

Uninflated, the MTs are bigger than the BFGs with 50psi

tjZ48Cth.jpg

pAz1A5Jh.jpg

Tread comparison

cYf2rF9h.jpg

Ok... enough tire nerd stuff. I really am excited to see how these tires do in the snow out here...
That siping is going to be yuge on the ice

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Not bad at all! I want that tire in 255/85r17 for my DRW, but they are showing on national back order.
It seems like there my be a supply chain problem with them. No one seems to he getting them back in stock. I assume you checked 4 wheel parts? Their TX warehouse was the only one that had them in my size.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Got the tires on my truck on Friday! So far I am pretty happy with them. The sidewalls feel stiffer than the BFGs but the treads (which have much more depth) feel like they roll or squirm a little at my inflation (40psi front, 35psi rear). They really bite better in the snow and evacuate well. They are quiet and balanced from 0 to 85 mph, without any shaking. I am really liking them so far.

RdbHlz8h.jpg

cGRkC4Jh.jpg

2wybZGTh.jpg

The road I got stuck on earlier has melted down a bunch. But, the new tires made short work of it, with a totally empty bed, this time.

zbVFMZch.jpg

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I ordered a soft topper yesterday! We travel to and from the cabin frequently and need "trunk" space. So, we've used our old gear bag I bought for the Wagoneer many years ago. Having dry space that isn't frozen solid seems like a real luxury when traveling or grocery shopping. Having the ability to load big stuff in the rear, on a whim, also seems to align with my poor planning. Plus, I really liked the one on the Tacoma. Anyway, I bought it last night, it has a shipping number assigned... we'll see if it actually ships today.

b0BPQdoh.jpg

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Wow... Fedex expects the topper to get here Friday! I'll believe that when I see it. (I was expecting 3 weeks or something similar)

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Went to play with my U-Connect today and got a message on the dash that my IC coolant was low. Are these liquid to air intercoolers? (forgive me... I assumed they were air to air... I'm still learning this Cummins thing)

EDIT
Maybe I'm an idiot and the message just means the radiator overflow is low?

Feel free to make fun of me here...

Last edited:

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I spoke too soon... Fedex status is still:

Estimated delivery date:
Friday, 1/21/2022 by end of day
The delivery date may be updated when FedEx receives the package.

I'm betting this take weeks now...

UglyViking

Reaction score
Went to play with my U-Connect today and got a message on the dash that my IC coolant was low. Are these liquid to air intercoolers? (forgive me... I assumed they were air to air... I'm still learning this Cummins thing)

EDIT
Maybe I'm an idiot and the message just means the radiator overflow is low?

Feel free to make fun of me here...
It's air to air intercooler. There are reports of the trucks coming with low coolant from the factory, so I'd take a look at that and see where it sits. I think the PID is displaying IC just because, well who knows? Lots of vehicles that are coded by the same people so someone may have just carried something over from another vehicle.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
It's air to air intercooler. There are reports of the trucks coming with low coolant from the factory, so I'd take a look at that and see where it sits. I think the PID is displaying IC just because, well who knows? Lots of vehicles that are coded by the same people so someone may have just carried something over from another vehicle.
It's funny how easily confused I get... in my mind IC always stands for intercooler. So, I've read on here that everybody seems to use Mopar coolant in the overflow. Is there something special about it? (I'm used to using the red coolant for my Toyotas) Or is Mopar coolant just a marked up Prestone?

UglyViking

Reaction score
It's funny how easily confused I get... in my mind IC always stands for intercooler. So, I've read on here that everybody seems to use Mopar coolant in the overflow. Is there something special about it? (I'm used to using the red coolant for my Toyotas) Or is Mopar coolant just a marked up Prestone?
I'll be honest I don't get that deep in the weeds. I use a quality synthetic oil, and just replace whatever fluids with the correct fluids. There is probably information out there on what to use and why, but at some point I think it's a lot of research and time investment for little, if any, gain. Also, don't talk too loud about it or you'll be flooded with DMs from the Amsoil guys…

MtnRider

Reaction score

Yes, it is OAT coolant made to the MS90032 spec. There are many OAT coolants but not many meet that spec. The danger in mixing is gelling of the coolant (and clogged heater cores etc). So try and find one that meets that.

Users who are viewing this thread