Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lumpskie's Prospector (Diesel Power Wagon) Build

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I’ve not heard about their snow performance yet, but I went wheeling with a guy that had them on his super duty and they seemed to do well. They looked great too!
If I hear they are good in the snow I will consider them for my next pair of tires
They look really good on that Ford in your photo... good to hear that they did well in dirt. My main motivation (like you) is snow performance both on road and in deep snow.... (See pics below)

Curious to know what your thoughts are for the mickeys if you go with those. I've got the Falken AT3Ws and have been pretty happy with their snow performance, but I lack a winch so I've not yet taken it anywhere in deep "off road" snow, just because I don't trust that I've got enough equipment to clear myself out.

I'm pretty interested in the new BFG KO2s that just came out. A 39" (prob nets around 38" as BFG always rates high) with a 3 peak rated tire and only 78 lbs.
I haven't seen a new BFG out and a quick search came back with old KO2s... you mind sharing a link?!

Here's why I'm looking at tires. I left the main road near the cabin here:

H2f77qBh.jpg

Snow was around 24" and a little icy below. My half worn BFGs really struggled to get me turned (before a lake at the bottom of the hill) and up the side road. I ended up struggling for about 10 minutes and my dad had to ride in the back and spot me (to avoid trees) by the end of it. Don't get me wrong, it was kind of fun. But, it really should have been easier.

You can see all the back and forth in the snow here:

Ot2uN4dh.jpg

Finally made it out this way... but getting up this little hill even took 3 or 4 tries... all the tracks are from my struggle.

csp2u5ch.jpg

I took more air out of the tires and am now running 37psi in the rear and 41psi in front. Even with lower pressure, I don't trust the tread depth on my current BFGs... kind of want to start looking for the next tire.

UglyViking

Reaction score
@Lumpskie They revamped the KO2s in the past year or two, and released some new sizes. Their website, here is a good review of them from Dirt Lifestyle's Youtube channel. It seems that overall it's a great tire, long life, quiet ride on road, good road manners, good on the rocks and great on the snowy roads, not good with mud. Overall his recommendation was that AT tires are basically all the same, but wear and ability to balance are the key factors.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Drove my power wagon up a 35ish degree hill today, about 100 feet long. Climbed very easily with Falkens on.

Maybe skip the BFGs?

A power wagon is a whole other animal. My PW would go places in 2wd that I'm afraid to take my heavy diesel in 4wd regardless of tire. Locking diffs made a huge difference.

Greenhills

Reaction score
A power wagon is a whole other animal. My PW would go places in 2wd that I'm afraid to take my heavy diesel in 4wd regardless of tire. Locking diffs made a huge difference.

Having had both, agreed. The PW doesn't miraculously make tires better though.

el_barto

Reaction score
@Lumpskie They revamped the KO2s in the past year or two, and released some new sizes. Their website, here is a good review of them from Dirt Lifestyle's Youtube channel. It seems that overall it's a great tire, long life, quiet ride on road, good road manners, good on the rocks and great on the snowy roads, not good with mud. Overall his recommendation was that AT tires are basically all the same, but wear and ability to balance are the key factors.
The KO2 isn’t a new tire, it’s been around since like 2014/2015. It looks like they added a treadwear warranty on the last year or so, and a couple more sizes, but tire is still fundamentally the same as it has been for 7ish years.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The KO2 isn’t a new tire, it’s been around since like 2014/2015. It looks like they added a treadwear warranty on the last year or so, and a couple more sizes, but tire is still fundamentally the same as it has been for 7ish years.
I believe they recently came out with a new version called “DT” which I believe means “different tread” but yea it’s not really any different. Still a lackluster tire.

UglyViking

Reaction score
My understanding is that they also enhanced the sidewall with tougher rubber compound. "Revamped" may have been too strong a word, "slightly enhanced" may have been more accurate.

el_barto

Reaction score
My understanding is that they also enhanced the sidewall with tougher rubber compound. "Revamped" may have been too strong a word, "slightly enhanced" may have been more accurate.
I believe they recently came out with a new version called “DT” which I believe means “different tread” but yea it’s not really any different. Still a lackluster tire.
A little bit of interneting later and you guys are correct. A year or two ago they released the “DT” version in some larger sizes specifically for heavy trucks. It sounds like the tread pattern is identical, but tread compound is harder to get longer life under heavy trucks. DT do not carry 3PMSF rating due to the harder compound.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
That is interesting information on the KO2s. I took a quick look and I have the mtn snowflake symbol on my tires, even though they are only a year and a half old. They are also basically worn out for anything but pavement use. I bet the harder tread would wear better. That being said, I don't put miles on my rig like the previous owner did. (he traveled over 20,000 miles a year in it. I'll probably do less than half of that.) So, maybe staying with the softer tread compound would be a better idea for me.

KO2s are wierd in my book. When I lived in Colorado, the original BFG KO did pretty well on a variety of terrain (on my Tacoma). My dad also runs them on his FJ Cruiser and they do great, even in deep snow. My friends here in NH tend not to think too highly of them out here. I wonder if this wetter environment with mud holes, more ice and wetter snow are harder for them.

I'm going to call the local tire shop and see about availability and price on the Mickey Thompsons as well as new BFGs... Are there any other aggressive ATs I should throw into the mix?

UglyViking

Reaction score
A little bit of interneting later and you guys are correct. A year or two ago they released the “DT” version in some larger sizes specifically for heavy trucks. It sounds like the tread pattern is identical, but tread compound is harder to get longer life under heavy trucks. DT do not carry 3PMSF rating due to the harder compound.

My understanding, which could be totally wrong, is that BFG released the new "DT" for diesel trucks that are towing a lot but also updated their KO2 with a slightly more durable sidewall. I don't know when any of this happened, so take it all as you will. I will not be testing the new DT tires unless for summer only as the 3 peak is important, at least from a performance POV. I had Toyo RTs on my previous rig (GM 1500) and it was absolutely horrific in the snow. I've got the Falken AT3Ws right now, and while they have been fantastic in the snow, I've had issues balancing them, and keeping them balanced. I suppose it could be the AEV wheel, who knows?

I've had good experience with the BFGs in the past, but who knows if that is my youth talking or not. Coopers are also probably worth a look. I think all things considered you're going to have to find a balance between better dirt/mud performance or wet/snow performance, as you won't get the best of both.

el_barto

Reaction score
My understanding, which could be totally wrong, is that BFG released the new "DT" for diesel trucks that are towing a lot but also updated their KO2 with a slightly more durable sidewall. I don't know when any of this happened, so take it all as you will. I will not be testing the new DT tires unless for summer only as the 3 peak is important, at least from a performance POV. I had Toyo RTs on my previous rig (GM 1500) and it was absolutely horrific in the snow. I've got the Falken AT3Ws right now, and while they have been fantastic in the snow, I've had issues balancing them, and keeping them balanced. I suppose it could be the AEV wheel, who knows?

I've had good experience with the BFGs in the past, but who knows if that is my youth talking or not. Coopers are also probably worth a look. I think all things considered you're going to have to find a balance between better dirt/mud performance or wet/snow performance, as you won't get the best of both.
Maxxis RAZR AT is another new AT I’m keeping my eye on for my next set.
I’ve heard good things about the Kanati Trail Hog AT
The new GY wrangler Territory MT I’ve heard is decent(stock on Bronco, TRX, etc) and while not 3PMSF Rated they were allegedly working on getting them certified.

FWIW I had Duratracs, KO2s, and Wildpeak AT3Ws on my Chevy Colorado. All 265/70R17, C range (except the wildpeaks which were Passenger load range rated)
Duratracs were great in the snow at first, but so good once they wore down , and they got noisy as hell.
The KO2s were pretty good, they stayed quieter even as they wore down, but did get louder. I felt they wore pretty fast though.
The Wildpeaks were every bit as good in the snow as the KO2, maybe better. Wore well, stayed quiet, and lasted longer. And were cheaper.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Man, it's hard to find a shop in NH that will even quote a 37" tire... Tire warehouse gave me a $343 per tire quote but says that the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs are on a national backorder with no target date.

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
Try the Falkens. I've had good luck with them and will put them on my ram when the transforce wear out.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Called all over... finally found the Mickey Thompson ATs in stock. So I ordered them from 4WP. I'll let you all know what I think when they get here.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Dang that’s cheap.

I got my 37" Yoko X-ATs for under $300 each. But only because I found a Walmart ad online for a ridiculously low price. I took it to Discount Tire because they said they would beat any advertised price. They couldn't beat the Walmart price but they were only $25 higher. I went with them anyway.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I got my 37" Yoko X-ATs for under $300 each. But only because I found a Walmart ad online for a ridiculously low price. I took it to Discount Tire because they said they would beat any advertised price. They couldn't beat the Walmart price but they were only $25 higher. I went with them anyway.
I'd be interested to hear what you think of them when you get weather or take them offroad. I was looking at them as well.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Never really gave much thought to Yokos. But, when I bought car tires, BFG were back ordered and so were Contis so I ended up with Yokohama Advan and I’m a big fan.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Never really gave much thought to Yokos. But, when I bought car tires, BFG were back ordered and so were Contis so I ended up with Yokohama Advan and I’m a big fan.
I agree. Advans came stock on my Evo 9, back when I bought it. They are an awesome tire. I have heard that the X-ATs are a little squirrely in heavy rain and snow. But, as with most internet stuff, I take that with a grain of salt unless the report is by someone I actually know.

Users who are viewing this thread