Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lumpskie's Prospector (Diesel Power Wagon) Build

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I have wanted a Cummins powered Power Wagon for a long time. So, I figured I'd try to make something that would fit the bill. I recently bought a used 2020 AEV Prospector. On pavement, this thing is amazing.... I can cruise 90mph in total comfort and the handling is amazing. Off pavement, it has too much roll stiffness (and too high a spring rate) for my taste. My hope is to slowly morph this rig to be Power Wagon like off pavement, without sacrificing its on pavement characteristics. I'd like to keep the truck like capabilities while enhancing 4 wheeling capability. Overall, I'm willing to sacrifice off road capability to maintain the feel of the truck on road.

Here's what I started with: 2020 Prospector 2500, Laramie trim.

77tHjauh.jpg

2nTU6awh.jpg

NYK4aUnh.jpg

S0DR30Zh.jpg

oMo53gfh.jpg

ktXuYjOh.jpg

Vary3OOh.jpg

Lumpskie

Reaction score
After driving this rig 3000 miles, I really fell in love with it. So, I decided to get some flex measurements:

Swaybar Connected: 16.5"

Front: (Waaay to stiff)
Compressed side - 1.5" to bump stop
Extended side - 3.25" to bump
Difference: 1.75"

Rear: (stiff, but not that bad)
Compressed side: 1.5" to Bump Stop
Extended side: 7" to bump stop
Difference 5.5"

xSfamKYh.jpg

Swaybar Disconnected: 19.5" (better but still way to stiff)

Front:
Compressed Side - 1.25" to bump stop (.25" improvement)
Extended side - 4" to bump stop (.75" improvement)

Seems like the front springs might be a little stiff?

Rear:
Compressed side - 1.75" to bump stop (.25 reduction in compression)
Extended Side - 7" to bump stop (no change)

zVSZPhrh.jpg

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Looking at the radius arms make me think they bind and prevent the front axle from articulating:

xEdeDnBh.jpg

HK4ms0rh.jpg

AeVL0Ngh.jpg

wYQHWOZh.jpg

So, I researched Power Wagon radius arms. With the help of Power Wagon guys on here, I decided to order a single Power Wagon radius arm, to see if that improves things. The arm arrived today:

kA1GlGQh.jpg

I am hoping to get the arm on (and the sway bar off) the truck within the next week or so. I'll keep this thread updated as I learn more about how to get the suspension to work how I want it too.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Beautiful truck, going to follow this. Would love a power wagon'ish truck with the cummins in it!

Have you thought about a Carli or Thruen sway bar up front as well, Might give you a little less roll resistance then the stock one? A sway disconnect would be the ultimate but not sure If that's possible on the diesel (at least haven't seen it done).

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Beautiful truck, going to follow this. Would love a power wagon'ish truck with the cummins in it!

Have you thought about a Carli or Thruen sway bar up front as well, Might give you a little less roll resistance then the stock one? A sway disconnect would be the ultimate but not sure If that's possible on the diesel (at least haven't seen it done).

So, I want to see how everything behaves with just the front swaybar removed and the single articulink installed. I'm hoping that will net me what I want out of the suspension. That being said, I have been eyeing those Thuren .5" lift springs for the front. They are roughly 25% softer than stock. The pro of something like that would be flex. The con would be that I might bottom out while driving on faster dirt roads, which could also lead to shock fade. Another concern would be controlling body roll. (which could lead to me getting a Thuren or Carli swaybar, like you mentioned) I'm hoping to keep my changes really simple on this rig but I can see it becoming a total rabbit hole, haha.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Also... Can anyone tell me if the radius arm hardware can be reused? (On Land Cruisers, the hardware is technically one time use) Also, can anyone give me the torque specs on those bolts/nuts?

MtnRider

Reaction score
So, I want to see how everything behaves with just the front swaybar removed and the single articulink installed. I'm hoping that will net me what I want out of the suspension. That being said, I have been eyeing those Thuren .5" lift springs for the front. They are roughly 25% softer than stock. The pro of something like that would be flex. The con would be that I might bottom out while driving on faster dirt roads, which could also lead to shock fade. Another concern would be controlling body roll. (which could lead to me getting a Thuren or Carli swaybar, like you mentioned) I'm hoping to keep my changes really simple on this rig but I can see it becoming a total rabbit hole, haha.

Becoming a rabbit hole? You are knee deep in it already Lol

Will be interesting to see what results you get. Body roll may be livable but may also depend on what other accessories you add on? If you add bed rack and get some weight up high it may become an issue? (not sure what your end goals are).

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Becoming a rabbit hole? You are knee deep in it already Lol

Will be interesting to see what results you get. Body roll may be livable but may also depend on what other accessories you add on? If you add bed rack and get some weight up high it may become an issue? (not sure what your end goals are).

Haha, who am I kidding... this thing will end up becoming an obsession by the end. I am really hoping to use restraint in changing parts though. It rides soo well on the road and it is supposed to be my simple, reliable, turn key, daily driver. That being said, I can't resist getting out an exploring... so it will have to do that.

I got it out in the dirt last weekend a little bit. That front swaybar has to go... my head was flying left-right over the smallest undulations! But, it was fun to ride around in modern Ram luxury while being in the woods. Much more upscale feeling than my old Land Cruiser.

IbY2YHch.jpg

JYluIiCh.jpg

mTCVqdJh.jpg

n0gqlh2h.jpg

Ox1tg9bh.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes do yourself a favor and ditch the swaybar it makes the truck ride much better, i plow with mine and the ridges in the ice and snow were horrible with the front swaybar on

Lumpskie

Reaction score
It is snowy outside and I haven't swapped the radius arm out yet... think I am just going to pay someone to swap it out. But, I did notice a TPMS message for low tire pressure today. I let air out of my rear tires, bringing them down to 42psi. At that pressure, I get a message on the dash. Is there a way to reprogram the TPMS to alert at a lower pressure? What do you guys do?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It is snowy outside and I haven't swapped the radius arm out yet... think I am just going to pay someone to swap it out. But, I did notice a TPMS message for low tire pressure today. I let air out of my rear tires, bringing them down to 42psi. At that pressure, I get a message on the dash. Is there a way to reprogram the TPMS to alert at a lower pressure? What do you guys do?
I saved my preset on the fill tire alert to 40psi and have not got a notice yet but not everyone has lucked out like that

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I thought my selectable tire fill alert setting was keeping me in the clear until a few weeks ago. I got an error when it got cold and my tire pressure was a little bit lower in the morning. I set my threshold using my AEV Procal, it’s fixed now.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I think I have a procal... I'll have to see about using that to set my threshold to 37psi or similar...

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I think the procal does increments of 5. The light comes on when one tire is 30% below whatever the threshold is, i believe
Ah ok, that is good to know. Maybe I'll set it to 35psi. Also... any idea why one of my rear tires would be alarming at 42psi while the other isn't? Can you set them independently?

Thanks again for the info

Users who are viewing this thread