Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lower Front Bumper Protection Plate

mikenacarato

Reaction score
For those looking to ditch the front lower spoiler on the 19-20 power wagons, the CJC intercooler guard will fit and add a small level of protection to the truck. After installing it, I would definitely not put it in the skid plate category as it does have a lot of flex but it does look good, and it would shield from some debris to a certain extent.

PXL_20201029_194636217.jpgPXL_20201029_194642591~3.jpgPXL_20201029_194712484.jpg

jadmt

Reaction score
good deal. is it a straight bolt on? hopefully it will keep some of the winter road slush from the synthetic line.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Looks great! Hopefully it doesn't get in the way of the front license plate mount (for those of us that require it).

jadmt

Reaction score
Looks great! Hopefully it doesn't get in the way of the front license plate mount (for those of us that require it).
I went to CJC's site and looked at the install instructions and it tells you how to mount your plate. the factory plate mount on the PW or at least on mine is kind of a poor design for a vehicle designed to go off road.

mikenacarato

Reaction score
You do have to remove the front plate holder but i suppose you could mount it how i did my front lights. see pic above

mikenacarato

Reaction score
Any idea if this will fit a non-PW model?
Yes this was designed for the diesel but after reading the install instructions before I ordered it, I saw my truck had the plow brackets they referred too. It goes on exactly like the install instructions say even though they do not list the power wagon as a truck it will fit.

unxpctd

Reaction score
I read the install instructions after making my post about the license plate bracket. Then I saw you mounted your lights on the same holes. Looks great!

This will definitely be on my list of mods in the future after I order my PW in a few months.

jadmt

Reaction score
You do have to remove the front plate holder but i suppose you could mount it how i did my front lights. see pic above
that is what the cjc instructions tell you to do. just mount plate directly to the bumper using the old holes.

DMC1

Reaction score
it is designed for the intercooler on diesels so............
I went to the CJC site and it does not say that it will not fit. I believed based on what I saw it will fit.

jadmt

Reaction score
I went to the CJC site and it does not say that it will not fit. I believed based on what I saw it will fit.
it is not made for a power wagon it is made for a diesel as power wagons do not have inter coolers. it is made for hd diesels but just so happens will work on a PW.

RndmGlitch

Reaction score
This is all good info. I just wish they would not refer to those brackets as "snow plow" brackets though - because they are not. They are "Secondary Energy Absorbing Structures" or as RAM called them, Compatibility Brackets. They make trucks that have a higher stance "compatible" with smaller vehicles in a crash. NHTSA required.

Anyway, that is another story...

RndmGlitch

Reaction score
That being said - I really do like the looks of this. I have been working out in my head some type of splash guard or skid plate to protect the wench and cable for when I remove my front valance. This gives me even more ideas!

jadmt

Reaction score
That being said - I really do like the looks of this. I have been working out in my head some type of splash guard or skid plate to protect the wench and cable for when I remove my front valance. This gives me even more ideas!
been doing the same. I can't believe they do not have at least a splash guard to keep the crud off the winch line.

stickshifter

Reaction score
Since this was made for the diesel, maybe those holes are necessary to provide air flow to the intercooler (to help with cooling). ?
I'm guessing that on a gas truck you could cover those holes if you are worried about crud getting through and building up on the winch line. Emphasis on "guessing" :)

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Since this was made for the diesel, maybe those holes are necessary to provide air flow to the intercooler (to help with cooling). ?
I'm guessing that on a gas truck you could cover those holes if you are worried about crud getting through and building up on the winch line. Emphasis on "guessing" :)

Should be no problem covering those holes on a gas truck. That's where the factory air dam goes anyway that the OP removed and that air dam has no holes. I removed mine as well the day I got my truck.

desert_wagon

Reaction score
This is all good info. I just wish they would not refer to those brackets as "snow plow" brackets though - because they are not. They are "Secondary Energy Absorbing Structures" or as RAM called them, Compatibility Brackets. They make trucks that have a higher stance "compatible" with smaller vehicles in a crash. NHTSA required.

Anyway, that is another story...

so chopping em off wont hurt anything, they hang kinda low.... (edit: it looks like they are held up with 2 bolts.....oooo thats a win-win)

as for the intercooler guard.....$299 is a bit steep. Could have a local machine shop make one in 0.250" and powdercoat for less....just syin'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread