Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Clearance Alert on UConnect ?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
IMO the 'quality' of most NAV functions offered by car manufacturers is straight up crap, I'd rather them focus on vehicle improvement.
I'd rather have a good HU and I'll rely on the phone apps to get me where I need to go.
Phone apps. Apparently you do not travel much outside of the cell towers. I use GPS and satellite radio because I frequently go to places where cell towers do not reach.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Phone apps. Apparently you do not travel much outside of the cell towers. I use GPS and satellite radio because I frequently go to places where cell towers do not reach.

I have, Google allows you to download maps for offline use for areas I know have limited coverage.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Really? Is that a new thing? Now I have to go look... Dammit, left my phone downstairs.
No idea how new it is, just ran across their description. If you can't find info on it, I'll be glad to help you search.

Distillusion

Reaction score
I've downloaded detailed Google maps for years, hundreds of times. Used to do it on a laptop, too. There was a short period where Google blocked it, but they got convinced to start allowing it again. I keep a downloaded map on my phone of the surrounding area, as large as I can, all the time. Cell tower gets knocked out, I'm still operational. And the maps are more up-to-date than most of the GPS mapsets, although there might be someone out there with a weekly update that I sure don't know about.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Okay, I looked at Waze and couldn't figure out how to set clearances, either. So I spent a lot of time searching. It appears that Waze has been asked for the feature for at least 4 or 5 years by customers, but hasn't implemented it. Right now, they don't even have RV as a vehicle type. The problem you run into is that a number of "review" sites claim it will route you around low clearance hazards. Waze admits they don't support it. No idea why reviewers claim it does. Maybe because some users have marked low clearance hazards at some time?

Also, Google maps has no low-clearance data in it. Sites/apps that do support it have extra data sets.

There are a few trucker apps that do claim to support truck routing around low clearance hazards, etc., for Android. I'm not going to speak to any of them.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Okay, I looked at Waze and couldn't figure out how to set clearances, either. So I spent a lot of time searching. It appears that Waze has been asked for the feature for at least 4 or 5 years by customers, but hasn't implemented it. Right now, they don't even have RV as a vehicle type. The problem you run into is that a number of "review" sites claim it will route you around low clearance hazards. Waze admits they don't support it. No idea why reviewers claim it does. Maybe because some users have marked low clearance hazards at some time?

Also, Google maps has no low-clearance data in it. Sites/apps that do support it have extra data sets.

There are a few trucker apps that do claim to support truck routing around low clearance hazards, etc., for Android. I'm not going to speak to any of them.
Reading my RV boards, and knowing truckers that have trucker routing apps on tablets, there are apps available for purchase that will allow you to program for height, weight and length. Trucker apps have programmed POI targeting truckers needs.

RV apps are about the same, but RV can go places commercial vehicles cannot. And programmed for rv repair and campgrounds for example.

CoPilot is one such app for truckers and RV. And prices are different because truckers have more data.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I was online with the "Truck Maps" folks last month and they claim they'll have a version of their app that will work with Android Auto (Google Maps). They may have been blowing smoke up my Uranus but if that does come through, I understand the Truck Maps app allows you to put in trailer dimensions.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
P.S. As to other NAV apps, just know that Google Maps and Waze are currently the only apps that will run/display on Android Auto. Which means you won't be able to see them on your Uconnect screen.
I'm yet to try Android Auto but you're saying that Google Maps when connected to AA doesn't display on the Uconnect screen? That's really dumb of RAM. Other cars display Google Maps on their built--in screens.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'm yet to try Android Auto but you're saying that Google Maps when connected to AA doesn't display on the Uconnect screen? That's really dumb of RAM. Other cars display Google Maps on their built--in screens.

AA is Google maps.. he means that the only NAV apps that will show on your screen are CarPlay or AA/Waze... other NAV apps will not show on your screen.

Frank

Reaction score
Google Maps on Android Auto is a game changer. I have never been a fan of the built in GPS and really hated paying for updates that weren't even current. AA is free, I can get satellite view, current business info, and new roads as soon as they open.

For the naysayers who think cell coverage is an issue, I've used it in rural North Dakota and Minnesota with zero coverage and had no problems. It downloads the data ahead of time, I might lose satellite view but that's it. I'd have to wander pretty far off my route into the middle of nowhere to totally lose it, in which case I'm just going to rely on my Y chromosome and the sun to find my way back to the highway.

I think built in GPS is going to be a thing of the past in the next 5 to 10 years.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Google Maps on Android Auto is a game changer. I have never been a fan of the built in GPS and really hated paying for updates that weren't even current. AA is free, I can get satellite view, current business info, and new roads as soon as they open.

For the naysayers who think cell coverage is an issue, I've used it in rural North Dakota and Minnesota with zero coverage and had no problems. It downloads the data ahead of time, I might lose satellite view but that's it. I'd have to wander pretty far off my route into the middle of nowhere to totally lose it, in which case I'm just going to rely on my Y chromosome and the sun to find my way back to the highway.

I think built in GPS is going to be a thing of the past in the next 5 to 10 years.
Like others have been saying on here regarding Google Maps, they're going to have to build more route planning features into the service like those necessary for RV'ers/truckers before we start hailing Google as our nav savior. I agree though, at the moment Android Auto/Car Play are the best game in town for the most up-to-date navigation information for regular travel vs built-in.

RV_Goose

Reaction score

Google will satisfy 80% who never have large size or heavy vehicles to route.

Wmhjr

Reaction score

Probably. It pretty much already is. I've been a LONG TIME gps user. Started using them in the military back when they were huge, and when civilian use was impacted by SA (selective availability). Used dedicated GPS tied to laptops for vehicle nav, then tons of different Garmin GPS units. I've been towing with my old '04 Ram 2500 Cummins 6spd with 322k miles on it. Recently bought a Garmin RV890 Nav to handle towing with it (the previous Nuvi 2599 had started really misbehaving). But just bought a 2020 2500 Bighorn Cummins - and it happened to have the 8.4 4C Nav in it, so I returned the RV890.

I don't think the cloud based Nav solutions (Waze, Google, etc) are as "responsive". However they don't need updated, they're on every phone and tablet, and bluntly that's just what everyone uses, and with CarPlay and Android Auto, they're free, and younger generations have grown up with them. Add integration with Siri and Alexa, they also provide additional benefits.

The wild card is that GPS manufactures realize this and they are at least trying to improve their value proposition. They're working on using crowd sourcing of connected GPS unit sensors to provide additional info like traffic that isn't dependent on use interaction like Waze. BTW, I've found Waze to have gotten horribly inaccurate about traffic in the last year or so.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Probably. It pretty much already is. I've been a LONG TIME gps user. Started using them in the military back when they were huge, and when civilian use was impacted by SA (selective availability). Used dedicated GPS tied to laptops for vehicle nav, then tons of different Garmin GPS units. I've been towing with my old '04 Ram 2500 Cummins 6spd with 322k miles on it. Recently bought a Garmin RV890 Nav to handle towing with it (the previous Nuvi 2599 had started really misbehaving). But just bought a 2020 2500 Bighorn Cummins - and it happened to have the 8.4 4C Nav in it, so I returned the RV890.

I don't think the cloud based Nav solutions (Waze, Google, etc) are as "responsive". However they don't need updated, they're on every phone and tablet, and bluntly that's just what everyone uses, and with CarPlay and Android Auto, they're free, and younger generations have grown up with them. Add integration with Siri and Alexa, they also provide additional benefits.

The wild card is that GPS manufactures realize this and they are at least trying to improve their value proposition. They're working on using crowd sourcing of connected GPS unit sensors to provide additional info like traffic that isn't dependent on use interaction like Waze. BTW, I've found Waze to have gotten horribly inaccurate about traffic in the last year or so.

You will now have to manually check you route as the Waze and Google apps route all vehicles the same. There is a difference between sa US-421 and US-321 heading into Shady Valley, Tennessee. US 321 is doable, US 421 is much more difficult with a 55 foot 5thwheel rig. My Garmin RV760 routed me the best way. The google phone app (didn't have Waze at the time) would have routed me to trouble. Folks towing heavy or long rigs need specialized GPS. Or do it manually.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
You will now have to manually check you route as the Waze and Google apps route all vehicles the same. There is a difference between sa US-421 and US-321 heading into Shady Valley, Tennessee. US 321 is doable, US 421 is much more difficult with a 55 foot 5thwheel rig. My Garmin RV760 routed me the best way. The google phone app (didn't have Waze at the time) would have routed me to trouble. Folks towing heavy or long rigs need specialized GPS. Or do it manually.

Yes, that is the case. Now. The point however is about in the future. For the moment I'm OK doing my own checking, plus I'm not towing a 55 foot 5th wheel. I have about a 30 foot gooseneck and a 30 foot bumper pull. I've pulled the bumper pull through the Tail of the Dragon, and both through PawPaw WV, so I can pretty well get it around unless it's really extreme. But my guess is that the scenario on that may also change, and the app based options may continue to evolve and mature.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
AA and CarPlay are not marketed to RV/Truckers who are a minuscule population compared to the number of vehicles that can use those products.
No one here has said that AA or CarPlay is a replacement for a dedicated GPS for trucks and large RVs.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
AA and CarPlay are not marketed to RV/Truckers who are a minuscule population compared to the number of vehicles that can use those products.
No one here has said that AA or CarPlay is a replacement for a dedicated GPS for trucks and large RVs.

Agree on this too. The potentially bad news is that if the standalone GPS units become a smaller and smaller segment, then the ones for RV/Truck use may become more expensive as the overall scale of manufacturing for companies such as Garmin diminishes. Hope that isn't the case, but I can see that possibility.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Agree on this too. The potentially bad news is that if the standalone GPS units become a smaller and smaller segment, thenI the ones for RV/Truck use may become more expensive as the overall scale of manufacturing for companies such as Garmin diminishes. Hope that isn't the case, but I can see that possibility.

Agree... it is a crap shoot as to which way it will go.
Personally I don't want a separate GPS Unit.. kinda defeats the purpose... I know I'll be emailing them and asking them to incorporate that data.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Agree on this too. The potentially bad news is that if the standalone GPS units become a smaller and smaller segment, then the ones for RV/Truck use may become more expensive as the overall scale of manufacturing for companies such as Garmin diminishes. Hope that isn't the case, but I can see that possibility.
I don't see it as such a big issue. There are still some 12 million big trucks and busses operating in the US. If anything, that market will grow over time for both long haul and last mile connections. Paper books / route maps existed long before the GPS, and they'll probably go away first. Eventually online apps may take the place of the GPS, but there will still be that demand for apps that have the clearance info. I think it's going to evolve. Right now, you have 2 GPS devices in your truck, it has one built in with the onboard cellular in UConnect, which is also used by the Nav option, and you have the one in your cell phone. Having the 3rd one as a separate device isn't really cost effective for most folks. That will drive the market more than anything else, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread