Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lose favorite contacts after using Android Auto

RednBlack

Reaction score
When I bought my truck, I paired my phone via Bluetooth and set my "Favorite Contacts" or whatever they're called in the top row of the screen. After connecting my phone via cable to utilize Android Auto and then reconnecting via Bluetooth all of my "Favorite Contacts" are gone and I have to reset them... anyone else have this problem or a solution. I have tried this multiple times to make sure it wasn't a random error.

Tried searching for this but only found threads on radio or XM favorite stations.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Lary0071

Reaction score
Yep... The 8.4 in my 2019 was the same way and it never changed. I pretty much resigned to getting in the truck, start it, plug the USB C cable in and then start my drive. It was very frustrating to me as well because I wanted the option of Android Auto when I desired it, and I wanted the option to just leave the device in my pocket if I so desire. No go. The BT connection side always got wiped of contacts from favorites after I used the cable. So cable it was.

Note that with the cable, you long hold the top left voice command button for like 2 seconds and you could dial by saying "Call Joe Blow Mobile" and in one clean request it is dialing Joe Blow. My 2019 Ford F-150 King Ranch is a painful process compared... (Wait for prompt) call....(wait for prompt) Joe Blow (wait for prompt)..... Yes..... and then it calls.

RednBlack

Reaction score
Yep... The 8.4 in my 2019 was the same way and it never changed. I pretty much resigned to getting in the truck, start it, plug the USB C cable in and then start my drive. It was very frustrating to me as well because I wanted the option of Android Auto when I desired it, and I wanted the option to just leave the device in my pocket if I so desire. No go. The BT connection side always got wiped of contacts from favorites after I used the cable. So cable it was.

Note that with the cable, you long hold the top left voice command button for like 2 seconds and you could dial by saying "Call Joe Blow Mobile" and in one clean request it is dialing Joe Blow. My 2019 Ford F-150 King Ranch is a painful process compared... (Wait for prompt) call....(wait for prompt) Joe Blow (wait for prompt)..... Yes..... and then it calls.
Thanks, I have used the voice command as well and it is much simpler than I expected, like you said faster and less complicated than many other cars. I only use Android Auto when going on trips, pulling the trailer, so I'll likely just resign myself to resetting the favorites after trips.

Pronto

Reaction score
When you lose your favorite contacts, is it Uconnect dumping them or is Android changing your bluetooth settings to not share contacts with Uconnect? I have the latter happen to me but I've never troubleshot it enough to see what's triggering it.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Uconnect contacts are useless. It's way faster to just say "ok google" and have it call your contact. Its simple, no maintenance and always ready. And it works the same connected or over Bluetooth. I use it a lot. And in-car audio is great on these trucks.

So, on daily drives I'm on Bluetooth. On long rides, I'm connected for android auto.
And the use of phone remains the exact same in both cases.

Last edited:

RednBlack

Reaction score
When you lose your favorite contacts, is it Uconnect dumping them or is Android changing your bluetooth settings to not share contacts with Uconnect? I have the latter happen to me but I've never troubleshot it enough to see what's triggering it.
I hadn't thought of that, but it's likely the Android side. Now that you ask, I vaguely remember the phone asking about sharing contacts again after being connected via Android Auto and going back to Bluetooth.

Any idea how to stop that from happening? Is it a Bluetooth setting?

RednBlack

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that, but it's likely the Android side. Now that you ask, I vaguely remember the phone asking about sharing contacts again after being connected via Android Auto and going back to Bluetooth.

Any idea how to stop that from happening? Is it a Bluetooth setting?

Nevermind, I reread your post and you said you hadn't troubleshot it that far!

Pronto

Reaction score
I will try to figure it out and find a work around. It really sucks not having favorites.

bht222u

Reaction score
Hey anyone have any updated info on this problem? My '21 does this also and it aggravates me.

Does anyone know of similar problem with Uconnect 5?

Blackpowder

Reaction score
I have a '21 with 8.4 screen. For Android phones make sure the "contact access" is checked in the Bluetooth Uconnect settings on your phone or the contacts will not download/update via Bluetooth. I also noticed during phone software updates that this setting can be unselected. I can plug my phone in for Android Auto and unplug and my contacts are still accessible via Bluetooth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220917-141434_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220917-141434_Settings.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7

Blackpowder

Reaction score
After re-reading my previous post will not solve the favorite contacts issue. Only loading/updating contacts from phone to Uconnect. Have not tried using favorite contacts yet.

Users who are viewing this thread