Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loose Column Shifter

Dbhoward

Reaction score
I picked up my 2019 ram 2500 a few weeks ago and thought the column shifter had excess “play” / wiggle in it from the start. Thought maybe this was normal. Drove my fathers 2017 Ram Limited 2500 this afternoon and it seemed well made and didn’t have any sort of wiggle to it. Anybody else had this trouble? Is it typical? Maybe there is a place to tighten it down - just looking to avoid a 95 mile trip to the dealer.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I picked up my 2019 ram 2500 a few weeks ago and thought the column shifter had excess “play” / wiggle in it from the start. Thought maybe this was normal. Drove my fathers 2017 Ram Limited 2500 this afternoon and it seemed well made and didn’t have any sort of wiggle to it. Anybody else had this trouble? Is it typical? Maybe there is a place to tighten it down - just looking to avoid a 95 mile trip to the dealer.
Unfortunately, very typical. It's been a common gripe for HD trucks as far back as the spring of 19. Apparently FCA has not retrained/fired the gear selector installer at Saltillo.

Thorvald

Reaction score
Thanks for this, it just happened to mine. Did they forget to put loctite on this bolt???

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Idk, but I cinched mine down 2.5 years ago and it's still tight.

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
I have had to tighten 5 or 6 of our different trucks. It's a silly issue, but luckily an easy fix. It did make me nervous after the first one wondering what more critical components may have been in a similar condition. A loose column shifter is an easy fix, but if they left a loose bolt in the transmission; that could be bad. Quality has been good mostly though, so on we roll.

Last edited:

ssrgeoff

Reaction score
Curious, if anyone knows. Does the stalk come right out of the housing if it's loose enough or with the screw completely backed out? Just wondering if the Laramie hard plastic column shifter could be replaced with the Limited?

Users who are viewing this thread